• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended GPX route for the Camino VDLP Sanbres?

Undermanager

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Can anyone recommend a set of gpx coordinates for this route for walking. I've found quite a few cycling ones, which are going to be pretty similar, but it would be nice to have a tried and tested walking route. I found it reassuring to have a gpx track last year when doing the Camino Madrid.

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been pleased with tracks I found on wikiloc.com. For the vdlp, there are many recorded by walkers. You can usually find one walker who has recorded them all and then just download for that user. Take a look here: http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/find.do?t=&d=&lfr=&lto=&src=&act=1,&uom=mi&q=via+de+la+plata

You may find discrepancies in some of the key spots like where the fight over access to the finca near Galisteo has ended, but in general, they will keep you going in the right direction. Buen camino, Laurie

There are .kml files available from the Spanish national mapping agency here. If you have a Garmin, the Basecamp application can load these. I presume, but cannot confirm, that other manufacturers have software that can use the .kml format.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been pleased with tracks I found on wikiloc.com. For the vdlp, there are many recorded by walkers. You can usually find one walker who has recorded them all and then just download for that user. Take a look here: http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/find.do?t=&d=&lfr=&lto=&src=&act=1,&uom=mi&q=via+de+la+plata

You may find discrepancies in some of the key spots like where the fight over access to the finca near Galisteo has ended, but in general, they will keep you going in the right direction. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, Thank you for directing my attention to wikiloc and advice to follow a trail by one walker. I wanted the section from Peso Da Regua to Santiago and part of the, is it called the Sanabres? What I found was walkers who have recorded hundreds of trails. I started by following "camino Portuguese Interior" and found more than 15,000 recorded trails, the one person I decided to follow had recorded 147 trails, some not so long but what an achievement! Should I ask the person for permission to use their data?
Thank you again!
malcolm

@mal kiwi I believe you are actually after the CPI (Camino Portuguese Interior) which starts in Viseu and goes through Peso da Regua to Chaves anf then jins the Sanabrse in Spain at Verin.
I have loaded a word doc of my trip last year in the resource section on this site. The route is well marked - no real need for fancy-schmancy gps stuff (unless you are techno - I’m not ). Also contact @amsimoes on the site also. He is a wealth of info on the CPPI.
You can aso PM me if you like. Cheers, Grace

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie, Thank you for directing my attention to wikiloc and advice to follow a trail by one walker. I wanted the section from Peso Da Regua to Santiago and part of the, is it called the Sanabres? What I found was walkers who have recorded hundreds of trails. I started by following "camino Portuguese Interior" and found more than 15,000 recorded trails, the one person I decided to follow had recorded 147 trails, some not so long but what an achievement! Should I ask the person for permission to use their data?
Thank you again!
malcolm
My understanding is that wikiloc is an open source platform. People who post their tracks there expect others to use them.

Grace's document on the resource section is a gem. Makes you want to start walking -- I would love to walk this route. I've been in many of the places but always in a car. It is absolutely lovely.

Can anyone recommend a set of gpx coordinates for this route for walking. I've found quite a few cycling ones, which are going to be pretty similar, but it would be nice to have a tried and tested walking route. I found it reassuring to have a gpx track last year when doing the Camino Madrid.

Thanks
Hola, Undermanager!

I have my Endomondo tracks from last year. Haven't completed the diary yet but might extract them and send via e-mail if you want.
If I understand you correctly you are only interested in Sanabres section of VdlP? That's from La Granja de Moreruela to SdC. I walked from Zamora where I joined VdlP coming from Levante.

HI KinkyOne - we meet again (virtually).

No, am setting off from Seville to Santiago, Finesterre and finally Muxio, or at least, that's the plan if the body holds up. I'm flying into Malaga 31st March, then train to Seville and setting off the next day outside the Cathedral after breakfast. Looking back, the Madrid Camino last year was great fun so thought I'd do another one this year as I've plenty of time. This weekend is dedicated to getting the plans done, but not too much planning, though. The rucksack is ready and more or less packed. I've got a few guides to each stage, an accommodation list, a few notes from this forum and details of where to get the Credential in Seville. Just got to wait for 12 more days.

You've done this route? Some of the stages look very long on this route, close to 40km, which may be at the extreme of what I can do in a day! I think I will be planning a few 'sleeping rough' nights. What did you do for the long stages, or are there ways and means ...

I've got a GPX route loaded onto my Garmin GPS now (thanks Peregrina2000). If anyone else needs some info on making a gpx file smaller and then splitting up it up into 500-point files (the size most GPS units will work with), here you go:

a) Download Basecamp on your computer and set it up (free).
b) Download a GPX file from wiciloc covering the whole route.
c) FILE - IMPORT INTO MY COLLECTION. You'll see the gpx route appear further down in the 'My Collection'.
d) Double click on the file in My collection. A dialogue box pops up showing you the thousands of points in the gpx route if you scroll to the end! Mine had 32000 points!
e) First job is to reduce the number of points. Select 'Filter' in the dialogue box. I selected Distance - 300m to show one point every 300m. This now gave me just less than 3000 points. Scroll down to see this.
f) Next, scroll down to point 500. Right click on this point and select Divide. A new track will pop up in 'My collection'. Rename it 'Stage1'.
g) Go back to your dialogue box with the 3000 points in (double click the track again if necessary). If you scroll down, you'll see it has been reduced in size by 500.
h) Repeat f and g above and rename each new stage appropriately, so you end up with Stage1, Stage2, Stage3 etc.
i) You've now filtered the original file, and split it up into chunks of 500 points.
j) Highlight each of your new files in turn, and then FILE - EXPORT. You've now got new your new GPX files, ready to upload to a GPS.
k) You can also email them to yourself, then go to a smartphone, open the email, download the files to a folder, download a GPX reader from the store like "GPX Viewer" and view each track individually.
l) You can also download Google Earth and open your GPX file from there.
m) The above sounds more complicated than it is! And remember, a GPS is just there for a bit of extra insurance. It shouldn't be used as the sole navigation aid!

I knew I should have got the plane this weekend. As soon as I start thinking about it, I want to be off ....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Undermanager
Haven't walked VdlP yet, just Sanabres (and part of it from A Laxe to SdC twice). That said I can only recommend Sanabres branch of it. Beautiful, sometimes very hilly and not really too much people walking it. Kind of a gem but then again isn't every Camino a gem for itself? ;)

For this year I'm still thinking of Via de Bayona/Frances/Salvador/Primitivo/Frances/Fisterra Combo.
Or maybe Manchego/Levante/Teresiano/Torres/Portugues/Fisterra.
I'll have to wait a bit more for a certain law suit to end and then I'll know. But won't leave for France/Spain before mid-May or later. So virtual it will be between you and me at least for this year :)

Ultreia nevertheless!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back