• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended half-way pit stop cycling Leon to Santiago

SallyCyclist

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to cycle Leon to Santiago in April 2016
I'm going to be cycling from Leon to Santiago over 6 days in mid April and would like to build a day's pit stop in around half way. I'm thinking O'Cebreiro after the gruelling climb on day 3 but I'm not sure there's much there. Anyone have any recommendations??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, SallyCyclist,
Welcome to the forum. The only city of any size between Leon and Santiago is Astorga, which is too early in your journey, I assume. It's a very nice place, though, with some interesting things to visit (Gaudi palace, Roman ruins, plaza mayor, etc). Molinaseca and Villafranca are also both places with a nice feel and would have a bit more to do than O Cebreiro. (Villafranca is closest to your halfway point, right before the ascent to O Cebreiro and it is a very nice town).

O Cebreiro is pretty much the midpoint, and you're right that its location at the top of the climb would make for a nice resting point. It is a small, prettified, touristy destination. If the weather is nice, the views are lovely. The church is also an emblematic camino destination. IMO, there is no less to do there than there is in any of the other nearby places that would make sense, like Triacastela. I suppose you could continue on to Samos with its monastery. I am not a fan of the interior of the monastery or its paintings, but the service at night was intimate and atmospheric.
Buen camino, Laurie

Hi SallyCyclist! Welcome to the forum! I wish you a pleasant and fruitful stay on the forum!

I would suggest Villafranca del Bierzo. It has sights, it's pleasant and has interesting surroundings to explore. And it isn't (that) far away from the mid-point of your route.

The only city of any size between Leon and Santiago is Astorga

...and Ponferrada that it's the biggest one between LeĂłn and Santiago de Compostela (and much more bigger than Astorga).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi SallyCyclist! Welcome to the forum! I wish you a pleasant and fruitful stay on the forum!

I would suggest Villafranca del Bierzo. It has sights, it's pleasant and has interesting surroundings to explore. And it isn't (that) far away from the mid-point of your route.

...and Ponferrada that it's the biggest one between LeĂłn and Santiago de Compostela (and much more bigger than Astorga).

Oh of course. I should have looked at a map or thought a bit before popping off. :p I know Ponferrada is the city where cyclists start if they want to do the minimum for the compostela, 200 km on a bike, so you are likely to meet a lot of other cyclists there.

I agree with Castilian that Villafranca is a very nice place to spend an afternoon. It just depends on whether you want to rest after or before the ascent to O Cebreiro.

Astorga...spent two nights there...good hotels...good food...good grocery stores...good shopping...good sights...and the first town that I saw families with children playing in the streets at night...really liked Astorga!

Thank you all SO much. We 'plan' to have one night in Astorga, so will look forward to that. We did think a break would be best after the climb, but when we get to Villafranca we may change our minds!

On that note, in mid April is it advisable to book somewhere in advance? I'd prefer not to, but I have read that walkers have priority over cyclists.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Astorga is one of my all time favorite stops on the Camino. It has everything one needs. The people are outrageously friendly. The hotels and all pilgrim support facilities are great. There are also very good transportation options.

I always look forward to staying in the Hotel Gaudi, with windows overlooking the Gaudi designed, Archbishop's Residence, and the Cathedral. What a view!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you stay an extra day in Villafranca del Bierzo as William Marques suggests and you wish a bit of private comfort and/or a very good reasonably priced meal with delicious local wine do stop at the Hostal de la Puerta del Perdon. Located on the CF opposite the castle it is a VERY comfortable stop especially on a cold winter night!

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back