• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Recommended Help with Muscle Pain (DMSO?)

templarsoul

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Fisterra) (June/July 2015)
In the six months that my wife and I have been preparing for the Camino, we've both done very well, except for my calf muscles. I stretch various leg muscles for at least 30 seconds before and a minute after each walk, but usually get pain in one, or both of my calf muscles. We did 22 km yesterday with no problem, but about 12 hours later woke up with pain. I had to have my son apply menthol and use a rolling pin to finally work the cramp out. I've read that some people use DMSO with amazing results. I wondered what others recommend for muslce cramps and if anyone has experience with DMSO? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Volteron (sp.) can be purchased all along the Camino. It is ibuprofen cream.
Also, be sure you are drinking enough water.
Finally, take along some packets of mustard, like the ones you get with fast food.
When you get cramps, rip one open and suck it down.
No kidding. It works for me. Google mustard for cramps.
Pickle juice works too.

Volteron (sp.) can be purchased all along the Camino. It is ibuprofen cream.
Also, be sure you are drinking enough water.
Finally, take along some packets of mustard, like the ones you get with fast food.
When you get cramps, rip one open and suck it down.
No kidding. It works for me. Google mustard for cramps.
Pickle juice works too.
Hi, Anni! I love your blog and have learned so much. Thanks for sharing more with me! We definitely stay hydrated, but I'll definitely look into that and grab some mustard packets. I made everyone in the family some salt lick pendants (pink salt stone cooking board for flavoring that I cut up into small pieces and drilled holes to lanyards). Yes, they'll get grungy and will need dowsing under water before licking, but it should help (remembering back to my Eagle Scout days! lol) Thanks, again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not sure 30 seconds is an adequate stretch. At any rate, I'm prone to cramps and need mineral supplements plus lots of orange juice and bananas and Aquarius even though I drink plenty of water. Badger's made in VT Sore Muscle Rub is an excellent product as well. (US). Hint: In Spain there are two strengths of Valtoran - the regular kind they hand you when asking for it or the Valtoran Forte which is much stronger but you need to ask for it. Epsom salt baths will reduce soreness as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Stretching can do more harm then good.

What the OP mentions sounds like DOMs. Delayed onset muscle soreness. Usually related to over using previously under used muscles. If it is DOMs it'll go away when your body adapts. You might want to consider not starting at 22km but easing into things.

I'm curious what people mean by drinking . Right now I'm getting at least 4 litres a day and I'm dehydrated. It's not just how much goes in but how much you sweat out.

I'm not sure 30 seconds is an adequate stretch. At any rate, I'm prone to cramps and need mineral supplements plus lots of orange juice and bananas and Aquarius even though I drink plenty of water. Badger's made in VT Sore Muscle Rub is an excellent product as well. (US). Hint: In Spain there are two strengths of Valtoran - the regular kind they hand you when asking for it or the Valtoran Forte which is much stronger but you need to ask for it. Epsom salt baths will reduce soreness as well.
Always stretch a warm muscle, never cold. You can also stop and stretch again along the way. If you stretch correctly, it doesn't harm. When I mention the Voltaran, I'm talking about the gel. A while back my rowing coach suggested the Badgers, Epsom salt baths and ice baths (after rowing). She said some people get more of a lactic acid build up. I passed on the ice baths. Brrrrr! No thank you! Good luck!

In the six months that my wife and I have been preparing for the Camino, we've both done very well, except for my calf muscles. I stretch various leg muscles for at least 30 seconds before and a minute after each walk, but usually get pain in one, or both of my calf muscles. We did 22 km yesterday with no problem, but about 12 hours later woke up with pain. I had to have my son apply menthol and use a rolling pin to finally work the cramp out. I've read that some people use DMSO with amazing results. I wondered what others recommend for muslce cramps and if anyone has experience with DMSO? Thanks!
I have the same problem and felt often the pain on the Camino frances in April. Voltaren did nothing for me. I am not sure what DMSO is, sorry. What helped me but did not find out until 3weeks in is the drink Aquarius which you can buy in any store and every bar. Actually I am at home now and still feel my calves and I have had many charliehorses on the Camino and at home. I also ate a lot of bananas. Good luck and Buen Camino. maya

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Google step exercises for calf muscles, I found these very good.
Also a hot bath with Epsom Salts is super.
Best of luck,
Rita

Quinine stops cramp. If you can get some quinine tablets to take with you all well and good. If not try to find some tonic water with quinine.
This stopped my cramp that I used to get every night.

Always stretch a warm muscle, never cold. You can also stop and stretch again along the way. If you stretch correctly, it doesn't harm. When I mention the Voltaran, I'm talking about the gel. A while back my rowing coach suggested the Badgers, Epsom salt baths and ice baths (after rowing). She said some people get more of a lactic acid build up. I passed on the ice baths. Brrrrr! No thank you! Good luck!

As to stretches, I recently read a website that said the same. It advocated strething only after anyone is done with their day's exertion.

You mentioned that you had to ask for the Voltaran Forte, is it still over the counter?

Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A banana a day helps keep the muscle cramps away.

Ah, wish this were true. I'm very on top of vitamin and supplement intake and get more than sufficient potassium (from these and from eating bananas!)

I have the same problem and felt often the pain on the Camino frances in April. Voltaren did nothing for me. I am not sure what DMSO is, sorry. What helped me but did not find out until 3weeks in is the drink Aquarius which you can buy in any store and every bar. Actually I am at home now and still feel my calves and I have had many charliehorses on the Camino and at home. I also ate a lot of bananas. Good luck and Buen Camino. maya

Sorry to hear you're you have the same situation, Maya. When you can, Google DMSO. Many say it has great advantages with combating muscle pain, inflamation, etc. When you read up on it, (in my humble opinion) take the wishy-washy FDA position on it with a grain of salt. US pharma is one of the most powerful, and corrupt, business institutions in the world and its deep pockets (in my belief) hold major sway over FDA. The vast number of medical benefits from cannabinoids are still ignored because they would replace so many drugs. These same drugs, unlike cannabinoids, have horribly adverse side effects (we all hear the litany read off on their commercials), but the pharma industry rakes in billions from them. Uncle Sam makes the same in taxes these companies pay, too.

Google step exercises for calf muscles, I found these very good.
Also a hot bath with Epsom Salts is super.
Best of luck,
Rita

I just might try that! Sounds like something my gran might have recommended, but that's probably because it's tried and true! Some of those old cures are best. Thanks for the recommendation!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As to stretches, I recently read a website that said the same. It advocated strething only after anyone is done with their day's exertion.

You mentioned that you had to ask for the Voltaran Forte, is it still over the counter?

Thanks!
Yes. It's "over the counter" but everything is "behind the counter" in Spain so you have to ask if you need anything - like for heartburn, ibuprophen , stomach aches, constipation or the reverse, etc etc. So you just ask the pharmacist. It's not all out on shelves like in the states. But no script needed.

My husband swears by compression sleeves and wore them last camino without getting cramps. They can be purchased at most sports wear stores including mec and rei. It might be worth a try!

From my endurance days
I buffered the lactic acid from long distance rides in high heat/humidity by increasing my protein intake with whey protein isolate...ime,lactose intolorant...
The nitrogen added buffered the catabolic by products.
Also
A electrolite drink in moderation at the end of the stress helped.
A hot,cold cycle in the shower helped me pump the byproducts from my muscles,a little of each for a few min.
Vinager works awsome with my chemistry.
Hope some of these ideas help!

A post script
I added a creatine supplement
I loaded for a few days and right before exertion
It added extra water volume to my muscles and could go longer before bonking...
As,usual check witha doc first
Happy trails!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Volteron (sp.) can be purchased all along the Camino.

Annie, Volaren is a different drig from Ibuprofen, actually they should not be taken together. On the Camino I take a 75 mg slow release Voltaren pill a day in the am, and at night a fration of a 50 mg ciclobenzrime. The first is an antiinflamatory, the ciclo is a muscle relaxant that can make you very drowsy. I also take electrilite supplements like Zymm, an effervescent capsule to dilute in water - much cheaper, and lighter than Aquarius.

Is Volaren the same as Voltaren Cream?

From the internet: Diclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.

Voltaren and ibuprofen belong to the same general class of drugs called non-sterodial anti-inflammatories. There are 4 subgroups in this class and ibuprofen and voltaren belong to different classes. Some patients will get better relief from one subgroup than the other, in general there is little difference.

All I know is what the pharmacist told me - he said it was an ibuprofen cream - and I know it works and that a lot of people swear by it. I've used it and it works great for me - almost immediately.

He didn't say anything about not taking it with anything else.
I don't take any other drugs so I wouldn't know.
Maybe people should check.

Last edited:
Is Volaren the same as Voltaren Cream?

From the internet: Diclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.

Voltaren and ibuprofen belong to the same general class of drugs called non-sterodial anti-inflammatories. There are 4 subgroups in this class and ibuprofen and voltaren belong to different classes. Some patients will get better relief from one subgroup than the other, in general there is little difference.

All I know is what the pharmacist told me - he said it was an ibuprofen cream - and I know it works and that a lot of people
He didn't say anything about not taking it with anything else.
I don't take any drugs so I wouldn't know.
Maybe people should check.
Voltaren is in the pill and cream form. And while drugs may be of a same category it does not mae them the same. Typically category will have to do with mode of action, but effect can be very different. Voltaren cream is typically 1% stength is North America, a bit strnoger in Spain, but both take a lomg time to act, not something that will brimg releif over night.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some stretching before you go to bed helps.

Your muscles are changing because of the unaccustomed work load. I would suggest walking less distance until your body has had a chance to adjust.

I had the same experience in the military, when you push too hard you have to drink 1000ml an hour try just water, if that doesn't help drink a sport drink you have to be careful not to overdo those as they can dehydrate if not drinking water. You may just be training too hard slow it down a bit. I feel for you I would wake up in incredible pain. Both calves would knot up but my good buddies would get up & force me to walk. It was the only way I could work them out. Lots of water! Walk it out...

There's a Yin and Yang to everything. NSAIDs are great for relieving pain and inflammation, but are also well documented in causing long term damage and degeneration of "articular cartilage" (bending joint cartilage).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back