• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended local dishes/restaurants along the way

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I got pretty tired of pilgrim meals last time I walked the CF, and I didn't find them to be cheap, either (often $10 - 12 Euros). So I started asking locals what special dishes I should look for in their towns. I especially enjoyed soups and stews and in the regions where tapas were popular, that was always my preferred dinner. (I avoided octopus though, as I have a rule against eating anything that is smarter than my brother).

What restaurants/local dishes did you find in towns along the Camino Frances that you would recommend?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A couple of doors down from the muni in Fromista is the cafeteria Venta Boffard. It was a most welcomed changed in quality and menu, and for less than your typical pilgrim menu. I had a risotto with squid ink.

Best paella I had this year was in Hontanas at Hostal Restaurante Fuentestrella run by Svetlana and Manuel. The food was great and the whole night was a happy cultural and multi-cultural experience. The hostal is fantastico too but you don't need to stay there to eat in the restaurant. You just need to let them know reasonably early that you want to eat dinner there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I stay away from most of the paella dishes because so many of these are "formula" menu items.
Walk a block or two off of the Camino and eat the menu del dia like the locals after 2pm.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stay away from most of the paella dishes because so many of these are "formula" menu items.
Walk a block or two off of the Camino and eat the menu del dia like the locals after 2pm.

Indeed.
A good option for this is La Pausa at the bussation in Astorga.

I got pretty tired of pilgrim meals last time I walked the CF, and I didn't find them to be cheap, either (often $10 - 12 Euros). So I started asking locals what special dishes I should look for in their towns. I especially enjoyed soups and stews and in the regions where tapas were popular, that was always my preferred dinner. (I avoided octopus though, as I have a rule against eating anything that is smarter than my brother).

What restaurants/local dishes did you find in towns along the Camino Frances that you would recommend?

I think that you will not find a meal cheaper than 10-12 euros if you eat the "menu del día" Dayly menu, on weekend it is more expensive. If you like tapas depending on the place could be expensive, about 3 euros tapa and wine. In La Rioja I can suggest patatas a la riojana "potatoes with "chorizo" but not all restaurants or bars prepare it. Its more common to find "cazuelitas" as "patitas de cordero" small lab feets, but I dont know if you like them. There are parts of the animal like ears, feet, and other parts of animals with a tomato an vegetable sauces slightly hot.

Good conversation, thanks for all the tips. I will take a pass on all the shellfish due to allergy, and I just need to find the places where to buy some good jamón curado y queso [keep them handy in my backpack and I will be good to go for a couple of days]. Buen provecho, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I don't know how to ask the locals what their favorite dishes are. I don't speak Spanish, so I've been mostly doomed to the pilgrim meals and menu del dias on the Camino. I was still grateful for a hot meal at the end of the day, albeit rather repetitious by the time I reached Santiago.:p

I don't know how to ask the locals what their favorite dishes are. I don't speak Spanish, so I've been mostly doomed to the pilgrim meals and menu del dias on the Camino. I was still grateful for a hot meal at the end of the day, albeit rather repetitious by the time I reached Santiago.:p
Ask for the "carta" and you will see what is available beyond the pilgrim menu. Menu del dia is usually pretty good. You can also ask "que me recomienda?" - what do you recommend. And bring your cell so you csn google what's on the menu and see what it is.

Pamplona- Chuleton and Pintxos
Logroño-Pintxos/Tapas
La Rioja Region- Bean Soups
Burgos- Morcilla, Chuletas de Cordero, Cochinillo, Pintxos/Tapas, Alpargatas de Jamon
La Meseta- Sopa de Ajo y Sopa de Trucha
Leon- Tapas, Cecina and Chorizo
Astorga- Cocido Maragato
El Bierzo- Botillo
Galicia- Pulpo, Caldo Gallego, Empanandas, Padron Peppers
O'Cebreiro- Caldo Gallego and Queso O'Cebreiro with Honey
Melide- Octopus
Santiago- Empanadas, Cockles, Mussels, Scallops, Calamares in all forms.

Jamon Iberico, Cafe con Leche, Bacalao, Patatas Bravas, Calamares, Tortilla Española and Tarta de Santiago are also favorites along the entire Camino Frances. Don't expect much from paellas in Navarra, La Rioja, La Meseta, El Bierzo or in Galicia. It's like ordering Shrimp and Grits in Utah.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Yeah, those microwaved paellas you see advertised on sandwich boards in front of cafes are a crime. Paella isn't a northern Spain specialty, but you can certainly get good homemade paella occasionally.

Yeah, those microwaved paellas you see advertised on sandwich boards in front of cafes are a crime. Paella isn't a northern Spain specialty, but you can certainly get good homemade paella occasionally.
Totally agree about the frozen paellas. In the hostal in Hontanas definitely homemade from scratch by a very proud Spaniard who has made the camino his life.

Ask for the "carta" and you will see what is available beyond the pilgrim menu. Menu del dia is usually pretty good. You can also ask "que me recomienda?" - what do you recommend. And bring your cell so you csn google what's on the menu and see what it is.
Sometimes I did use google translate, but often it was just as confused as me! :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pamplona- Chuleton and Pintxos
Logroño-Pintxos/Tapas
La Rioja Region- Bean Soups
Burgos- Morcilla, Chuletas de Cordero, Cochinillo, Pintxos/Tapas, Alpargatas de Jamon
La Meseta- Sopa de Ajo y Sopa de Trucha
Leon- Tapas, Cecina and Chorizo
Astorga- Cocido Maragato
El Bierzo- Botillo
Galicia- Pulpo, Caldo Gallego, Empanandas, Padron Peppers
O'Cebreiro- Caldo Gallego and Queso O'Cebreiro with Honey
Melide- Octopus
Santiago- Empanadas, Cockles, Mussels, Scallops, Calamares in all forms.

Jamon Iberico, Cafe con Leche, Bacalao, Patatas Bravas, Calamares, Tortilla Española and Tarta de Santiago are also favorites along the entire Camino Frances. Don't expect much from paellas in Navarra, La Rioja, La Meseta, El Bierzo or in Galicia. It's like ordering Shrimp and Grits in Utah.
My mount is watering and my feet are itching to start my Camino on September 10!!!

I also found many of the paella dishes to be quite generic and usually with very little seafood in them, so I stopped ordering them as I was often dissappointed. In fact, at one communal dinner where it was served, a jovial Italian man sitting across the table from me said with confidence that he could tell it was a generic frozen paella, much to my surprise!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back