• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended place to stay?: Padron -- Santiago

EmoJohnson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese coastal way (2017)
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
I'm currently in Caldas de Reis and am looking to walk past Padron tomorrow in order to shorten my walk into Santiago (on my big birthday). Any recommendations for a place to stay the night mid-point? Something private along the lines of pensione or even hotel? Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm currently in Caldas de Reis and am looking to walk past Padron tomorrow in order to shorten my walk into Santiago (on my big birthday). Any recommendations for a place to stay the night mid-point? Something private along the lines of pensione or even hotel? Thank you!

Here you go..some choices.
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/padron/santiago-compostela

Enjoy your birthday and your arrival in Santiago!!

We stayed in Pension HK, near Esclavitude, during our Camino last month. It was a fair bit ahead of Padron, crossing the highway, but made the last day waaaaay easier!
The place was cheap, the room was clean, spacious and even had a bath! The manager Victoria cooked dinner (paid separately) and breakfast was also good.
For us it was a good rest before going on the next day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed in Pension HK, near Esclavitude, during our Camino last month. It was a fair bit ahead of Padron, crossing the highway, but made the last day waaaaay easier!
The place was cheap, the room was clean, spacious and even had a bath! The manager Victoria cooked dinner (paid separately) and breakfast was also good.
Lovely! You had me a "bath". Was it necessary to make a reservation?

While a tad pricey, relatively speaking, I have stayed at the Hotel Scala on both my pilgrimages coming from Portugal. The BIG advantage is that it is about 2 km on the Santiago side of Padron. That means that you have 2 km less to walk the following day. Every step closer to the Cathedral helps, at least IMHO.

NOTE: I hold NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST or derive any advantage from this endorsement.

This is a proper hotel ( *** I think) with full services. The cafe, cafeteria and restaurant are excellent, the rooms spotless, the beer cold, and they have bathtubs too!

I prefer this arrangement because I can get a good night's rest and leave for my arrival day at Santiago, clean, relaxed, rested, and well fed. It helps when dealing with waiting for a Compostela and the other arrival ritual things pilgrims do once they hit Santiago.

You can reserve Hotel Scala on www.booking.com. FYI, it is located on highway N-550, about 2 km north of downtown Padron, and is directly on the Camino path for the next day. You literally walk out the front door, turn left in the parking lot, follow the yellow arrows...

To locate the hotel, just follow highway N-550 north once you enter Padron, and you cannot miss it. it is on the left, just past a roundabout, about 2 km from downtown proper.

My only recommendation is that, if you need things like bottled water or other consumables, buy them before you arrive at the hotel, as there are no tiendas or mercados near by the hotel. There are several supermercados and mini mercados (Froiz, Dia, etc.) in downtown Padron. Once you are at the hotel, you are well out of Padron proper.

In fact, I recall that, if you wait another 10 minutes walk, there is a large Dia market at the north edge of the downtown area, directly on the N-550. You save half a km lugging your purchases to the hotel this way. It is slightly over one km from this market to the hotel. Both are on the left (west) side of the N-550.

CLARIFYING NOTE: The actual, yellow arrow-directed Camino route takes you IMMEDIATELY behind the large Dia supermercado. It is a large grey painted concrete block constructed building on your right. Route N-550 is the main road to your right that you are walking parallel to, about 50 meters off. If you look carefully, you can see the Dia logo on signs at the front of the store, on N-550.

For reference, and if my memory still serves me, after two weeks, there are several four to six story, yellowy beige apartment buildings with shops on the ground floor directly ahead of you. The back side of the Dia is on your right. Just walk around to the front to access the market. It should also show on a smart phone mapping program as well. Search for "Dia supermercado near me."

You can also use a smart phone mapping app to search for "supermercado near me" to find the grocery stores, or simply ask a local once you are downtown. The first appearing, smaller shops are a short block or two off the N-550, which in Padron is also the main street.

It may be seen as an extravagance by some, but I do my Camino my way. Minimizing aggravation and inconvenience is one of my big self-held commandments. Staying in a proper hotel before entering Santiago is also a good way to wrap your head around having to reacclimatize to the "world" after nearly a month on Camino, if you walked from Lisbon.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My brother and I stayed at Os Lambrans, a casa rurale very close to Padron. We stayed there several days and had a wonderful time. Accommodations, staff, location, breakfast were all superb. We booked through Booking.com or you can contact them directly. Hard to think of a better place to spend one's birthday!!

I also stayed as Os Lambrans, it's 1.3km off the camino (take the road that goes west at Hotel Scala). It's a super charming rural B&B with a great breakfast. I don't think they do dinner, though ... but it's an absolutely beautiful setting.

I told Victoria you sent me ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow! Thanks for telling me and others about this place. I think sometimes a little TLC is in order.
While a tad pricey, relatively speaking, I have stayed at the Hotel Scala on both my pilgrimages coming from Portugal. The BIG advantage is that it is about 2 km on the Santiago side of Padron. That means that you have 2 km less to walk the following day. Every step closer to the Cathedral helps, at least IMHO.

NOTE: I hold NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST or derive any advantage from this endorsement.

This is a proper hotel ( *** I think) with full services. The cafe, cafeteria and restaurant are excellent, the rooms spotless, the beer cold, and they have bathtubs too!

I prefer this arrangement because I can get a good night's rest and leave for my arrival day at Santiago, clean, relaxed, rested, and well fed. It helps when dealing with waiting for a Compostela and the other arrival ritual things pilgrims do once they hit Santiago.

You can reserve Hotel Scala on www.booking.com. FYI, it is located on highway N-550, about 2 km north of downtown Padron, and is directly on the Camino path for the next day. You literally walk out the front door, turn left in the parking lot, follow the yellow arrows...

To locate the hotel, just follow highway N-550 north once you enter Padron, and you cannot miss it. it is on the left, just past a roundabout, about 2 km from downtown proper.

My only recommendation is that, if you need things like bottled water or other consumables, buy them before you arrive at the hotel, as there are no tiendas or mercados near by the hotel. There are several supermercados and mini mercados (Froiz, Dia, etc.) in downtown Padron. Once you are at the hotel, you are well out of Padron proper.

In fact, I recall that, if you wait another 10 minutes walk, there is a large Dia market at the north edge of the downtown area, directly on the N-550. You save half a km lugging your purchases to the hotel this way. It is slightly over one km from this market to the hotel. Both are on the left (west) side of the N-550.

Use a smart phone mapping app to search for "supermercado near me" to find the grocery stores, or simply ask a local once you are downtown. The first appearing, smaller shops are a short block or two off the N-550, which in Padron is also the main street.

It may be seen as an extravagance by some, but I do my Camino my way. Minimizing aggravation and inconvenience is one of my big self-held commandments. Staying in a proper hotel before entering Santiago is also a good way to wrap your head around having to reacclimatize to the "world" after nearly a month on Camino, if you walked from Lisbon.

I hope this helps.[/QUO

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is a further (late) suggestion for others who may also have the same question: Pensiòn Glorioso at Picaraña, 9.5km from Padron, in about the same area as Pensiòn HK which is mentioned above, but is a little closer to Santiago and therefore shortens your last walking day a little more. The only odd thing about it is that there is what appears to be some pole dancing venue between the pensiòn itself and the building where the reception and cafe/bar are located, but this didn't bother me.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back