• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended readings prior to walking Le Puy route?

mcmanamy5

We leave May 4 for 2 weeks starting from Le Puy. Any readings people recommend on the geography, history or culture in that area of France?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
on the geography, history or culture in that area of France?
Choose your era of interest:
*** Cluny: In Search of God's Lost Empire (Edwin Mullins) source of the funds that built most pilgrimage infrastructure
A Distant Mirror (edited) (Barbara Tuchman) France in the late Middle Ages
The Hundred Years War - the English in France . for the hill towns past Cahors
French Revolution - source of the defacing and destruction of churches

*** Early Medieval Architecture (Oxford History of Art) (Roger Stalley) what is it I'm looking at, and why

Last edited:
Barbara Tuchman's book was amazing ... but I think the exact title was "A Distant Mirror."

If you're open to podcasts, I'd highly recommend the BBC episode The 12th Century Renaissance from the In Our Time series. It's amazing how much of the Camino architecture comes from that period.

A longer (six hours!) podcast would be Dan Carlin's The Celtic Holocaust. It details Caesar's war against the Celts in Gaul, from the perspective of the Celts. There's not much

(and I've just added the Cluny book to my wishlist - it sounds great.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Choose your era of interest:
*** Cluny: In Search of God's Lost Empire (Edwin Mullins) source of the funds that built most pilgrimage infrastructure
A Distant Empire (Barbara Tuchman) France in the late Middle Ages
The Hundred Years War - the English in France . for the hill towns past Cahors
French Revolution - source of the defacing and destruction of churches

*** Early Medieval Architecture (Oxford History of Art) (Roger Stalley) what is it I'm looking at, and why
@Kitsambler, you are one sharp tool in the box!

The Abacus and the Cross: The Story of the Pope Who Brought the Light of Science to the Dark AgesDec 7, 2010 | Unabridged
by Nancy Marie Brown and Suzanne Toren

It comes in audio too. It's the story of a Gerbert of Aurillac (north of Conques) about the year 950 who rises within the church to found universities and become pope. It is a magnificent and fascinating windows into the emerging medieval world. There is a section on Conques and St. Foi as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Looking for interesting books to read on the history and culture of for this region before I walk at the end of July.I would love any suggestions!Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...
Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back