• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended Strategy for Night One out of Lisbon

PeteAJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Portugués (2019),
Le Puy (2023)
Hi all! Planning a Camino Portugues starting in Lisbon and a little confused about where people thought was a good place to stay the first night out. The infrastructure is maybe not as obvious as is on beginning the Francés? I think I'm fit enough to handle getting to Alverca do Ribatejo and would love hearing advice on Alverca and Verdelha de Baixo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

You can plan your first stages in a very flexible manner as there is a railway running between Lisbon Oriente and Santarém every hour. The Camino touches the railway very regularily, e. g. at Sacavém, Alverca do Ribatejo, Vila Franca de Xira, Carregado, Azambuja.

In 2014 we decided to book another night in Lisbon, to walk to Sacavém on the first day, then to return to Lisbon for sleeping and continue to Vila Franca de Xira the next day. Now there is an albergue in Alpriarté which is almost in the middle between Lisbon and Vila Franca de Xira.

Gronze - Camino Portugues This is a very up to date Spanish website showing you the Camino Portugues from Lisbon and possible accomodation.
Via Lusitana - Albergues This is a website run by the portuguese association. They also offer maps.

BC
Alexandra

Thanks Alexandra. This is great info, I didn't know about a train! Gronze could be great to refer to on the way. I'm hoping to keep flexible but thought a plan for the first day would be good.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Albergure in Alpriate is lovely, small and quiet but the walk from Lisbon is mostly unpleasant. Very achievable distance on day one. Cafe in the village.

Hi all! Planning a Camino Portugues starting in Lisbon and a little confused about where people thought was a good place to stay the first night out. The infrastructure is maybe not as obvious as is on beginning the Francés? I think I'm fit enough to handle getting to Alverca do Ribatejo and would love hearing advice on Alverca and Verdelha de Baixo.
We were unable to get a room in Alzambuja and had to get a train to Santarem to spend our first night.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back