• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Record number of pilgrims in Aviles (and overcapacity crowds

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Avilés gain weight on the Camino de Santiago
The pilgrims' hostel in 2012 recorded a total of 5,090 users, 540 more than last year, and was first Iranian

E. FIELD

Avilés gain weight as a step in the Camino de Santiago by the northern route. The pilgrim hostel Aviles, led by José María Clergy, last year recorded a total of 5,090 pilgrims, which is 540 more than in the previous year. This increased interest finds the hikers to Santiago de Compostela along the coastal road, which Avilés has as one of its most prominent cities. The hostel avilesino, in which the City Council recently made improvement works, has 76 seats, and there were days in the summer, which is when most pilgrims walk the path, which became too small to accommodate all travelers. According to officials of the facility in the first half of August were pilgrims who had to sleep on the floor, on a couch and a group of them were diverted to a board to rest before resuming the march.

Of the 5,090 pilgrims who passed through Avilés, 2,511 are Spanish, and the rest from other 56 different nationalities. The most, Germans: 650. "I always have the most are," says Alfredo Clergy, responsible for the balance. Other highlights include the French nationalities (358), Italy (341), Poland (212), Austria (103), Belgium (80) and Britain (79). The first non-European nationality comes next: the U.S., with 76 pilgrims, which exceeds the 67 Dutch.

Those responsible for the hostel said: "They came pilgrims from all over Europe, including one in the Faroe Islands, another of Malta, Iceland, Mauritius, Singapore? And elsewhere include, besides Americans, 35 Canadians, 16 Brazilians and 10 Mexicans. " Other singular points of origin are South Africa, French Polynesia, South Korea, Japan and New Zealand. The big news from previous years is the presence of three Iranians: never before had entered this national records hostel.

Regarding the Spanish, Catalan and Madrid outperform the rest, but Aviles pass walkers of all provinces and neighboring Portugal, represented by 29 pilgrims.

The works in the hostel allow walkers to enjoy a more adequate with handicapped bath included. "Now is a four-star hotel," jokes Jose Maria Clergy. These first few days of the year and pilgrims dropped by the hostel early birds, although the season is low and will not begin to rebound until the arrival of spring.
http://www.lne.es/aviles/2013/01/16/avi ... 54598.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back