• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Recovering from Corona virus

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Just wondering… Have any of you recovered from the virus and planning on walking the Camino soon?
It has left me even less fit than before …🙄
I have two months to go and I worry.
But then I have got to worry about something 😉

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just wondering… Have any of you recovered from the virus and planning on walking the Camino soon?

In spite of following all the rules and being incredibly careful, my vaxxed son brought it home from school to vaxxed me, last September. I've got 6 weeks to prep for the Frances. I had covid symptoms for over 4 months and it was miserable and scary and I wondered if I would ever be able to do something like the camino again. I'm nowhere near as fit as I was before. I'm training as best I can, but I'm not making progress as quickly as I would like. My lungs are just not quite the same, and I tire more quickly. I'm giving myself more time to walk, and allowing myself permission to move more slowly. Sticking with a "camino family" is not really a priority for me. I'm going. Because life is short and I don't want to just give up on dreams. I'm nervous. I'm modifying my expectations of myself. And I did get the all clear from my doctor.

When is your start date?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

In spite of following all the rules and being incredibly careful, my vaxxed son brought it home from school to vaxxed me, last September. I've got 6 weeks to prep for the Frances. I had covid symptoms for over 4 months and it was miserable and scary and I wondered if I would ever be able to do something like the camino again. I'm nowhere near as fit as I was before. I'm training as best I can, but I'm not making progress as quickly as I would like. My lungs are just not quite the same, and I tire more quickly. I'm giving myself more time to walk, and allowing myself permission to move more slowly. Sticking with a "camino family" is not really a priority for me. I'm going. Because life is short and I don't want to just give up on dreams. I'm nervous. I'm modifying my expectations of myself. And I did get the all clear from my doctor.

When is your start date?

In process, and I have the same question.

Well ladies if your posts are indicative of even a fraction of pilgrims looks like you’ll have a slow going bang up good time.

Buen camino.

I had it just before Xmas but I was vaccinated and suffered only mild symptoms. One of the lucky ones, I guess. Within a couple of weeks I was walking as far and as long as before. It sounds like you got hit quite hard. Best thing I suppose is to go slow and go easy until you build up your strength, as you surely will simply by being on the Camino and walking every day, taking in the fresh air and sharing stories and bread with others on the same path.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had Covid mid-December. Had been double vaccinated so no severe symptoms but 2 months later and I still have lingering Covid fatigue. Same problem with training, which kinda stopped. I am co-leader on our 16 day Camino Primitivo walk starting 10 May from Oviedo to Lugo. I still havent got back to training but thankfully we are walking reduced stages of 15km max otherwise I know I wouldn't cope!

So now you have me wondering.
Before my double mastectomy, my family had a hell of a flu-type "thing" that held on for months.
Two sons went to the hospital ER. Both were told they didn't know what it was, just some unknown flu.
One son had only 30% lung capacity at the time, and it took forever for ALL of us to get over our lung congestion. We've all thought maybe we had COVID before anyone knew it was COVID.
Then, I had the surgery. The flu happened in winter. I went on Camino and felt tired, but figured it was the cancer. Since the surgery I've been shocked at the loss of stamina. Even walking short distances up very milk hills wears me out. So now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't the surgery, but maybe we did have COVID.
Hmmm...
Did any of you who've had cancer and/or double mastectomies notice loss of stamina?
It seems weird that a year and a half later I still haven't recovered to my former strength.

Last edited:
I had it last February. My most severe symptom was being very very tired, and I found it difficult to even walk our dog for two months. I felt myself again sometime in June. I walked the Camino Ingles in August and other than being slow from not being able to train as much as I wanted, I was fine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Reduce your distance and stop when you’re tired. My last Camino I met a lady in her sixties who had both knees replaced. She told me she only walked a distance she was comfortable doing each day which was generally 5 or 6 K. Stop worrying the Camino walk is a ‘gift’ not a struggle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

When is your start date?
Start date mid-April.
I’m sorry to read you had it too. Looks like we’re in the same boat! No, don’t give up on your dreams, life’s too short 😉 Thank you for replying.

Yes, and my plan is to go again the 5 April!!! Vaccinated 3 doses and hopefully the Camino Primitivo gives me back the health and mind- The body is heavier than before as I sense it but I have faith that it will be ok. Just get out and walk if you are free from C-19 and don´t worry. It´s not a competition only our own time out there. Buen Camino @domigee

I had it just before Xmas but I was vaccinated and suffered only mild symptoms. One of the lucky ones, I guess. Within a couple of weeks I was walking as far and as long as before. It sounds like you got hit quite hard. Best thing I suppose is to go slow and go easy until you build up your strength, as you surely will simply by being on the Camino and walking every day, taking in the fresh air and sharing stories and bread with others on the same path.
I suffered mildish symptoms too (vaccinated and everything…) Only the first two days were unpleasant.
I just expected to be back to normal once it was over and it just hasn’t happened. I went for a walk (about 8km) a day after I tested negative and it nearly killed me! 😁 Two of my children and my three grand-children have had it and there are doing fine now, I’m relieved to say.
I think it’s down to age 🙄😢 Sigh.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I have recovered mine was last May (2021) it took a good 3-4 month of having the C-Vid-Cough and still have coughing fits and trouble taking deep breaths when I am over exerted (like running etc) however this will be my Second Camino and I wouldn't miss it for anything. My first was in 2017 so I know what to expect. This time I intend to walk even slower. My 1st was Camino Frances this time I'm walking from Porto.

My plan is to take my time (I've got 85 total days planned) walking Porto to Santiago taking a little 2 week break then start walking again from St Jean.

I suggest you take your time, walk a little slower each day, enjoy the time and remember "The Way" is Your Way. Not a destination, but more of Journey.

Buen Camino

I had Covid mid-December. Had been double vaccinated so no severe symptoms but 2 months later and I still have lingering Covid fatigue. Same problem with training, which kinda stopped. I am co-leader on our 16 day Camino Primitivo walk starting 10 May from Oviedo to Lugo. I still havent got back to training but thankfully we are walking reduced stages of 15km max otherwise I know I wouldn't cope!
Oh I’m sorry to hear that! I guess I shouldn’t complain as I have only had it on 1st February. Yes, vaccinated as well, so no severe symptoms except now …well… not recovering very quickly.
Thank you, maybe I was expecting too much. Hope you’re fine and completely recovered by May 🙏🙂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So since there are several of us…what are you all thinking for approximate stage lengths, particularly in the first two weeks?

Before my double mastectomy, my family had a hell of a flu-type "thing" that held on for months.
Two sons went to the hospital ER. Both were told they didn't know what it was, just some unknown flu.
One son had only 30% lung capacity at the time, and it took forever for ALL of us to get over our lung congestion. We've all thought maybe we had COVID before anyone knew it was COVID.
Then, I had the surgery. The flu happened in winter. I went on Camino and felt tired, but figured it was the cancer. Since the surgery I've been shocked at the loss of stamina. Even walking short distances up very milk hills wears me out. So now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't the surgery, but maybe we did have COVID.
Hmmm...
Did any of you who've had cancer and double mastectomies notice loss of stamina?
It seems weird that a year and a half later I still haven't recovered to my former strength.
I don’t know @Anniesantiago ,it could well have been Covid. we now know it was around long before we knew anything about it…I hope you recover your stamina on this Camino 🙂🙏

I had it last February. My most severe symptom was being very very tired, and I found it difficult to even walk our dog for two months. I felt myself again sometime in June. I walked the Camino Ingles in August and other than being slow from not being able to train as much as I wanted, I was fine.
Thanks for that! 🙂 I’m glad you were ok on the Camino ingles.

Reduce your distance and stop when you’re tired. My last Camino I met a lady in her sixties who had both knees replaced. She told me she only walked a distance she was comfortable doing each day which was generally 5 or 6 K. Stop worrying the Camino walk is a ‘gift’ not a struggle.
You’re right of course , thank you 🙂 My worry is that I am walking the Camino with a friend this year…. I guess that is why I am worried 😉

Yes, and my plan is to go again the 5 April!!! Vaccinated 3 doses and hopefully the Camino Primitivo gives me back the health and mind- The body is heavier than before as I sense it but I have faith that it will be ok. Just get out and walk if you are free from C-19 and don´t worry. It´s not a competition only our own time out there. Buen Camino @domigee
Thank you! 🙂 and ‘buen camino’ 🙂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have recovered mine was last May (2021) it took a good 3-4 month of having the C-Vid-Cough and still have coughing fits and trouble taking deep breaths when I am over exerted (like running etc) however this will be my Second Camino and I wouldn't miss it for anything. My first was in 2017 so I know what to expect. This time I intend to walk even slower. My 1st was Camino Frances this time I'm walking from Porto.

My plan is to take my time (I've got 85 total days planned) walking Porto to Santiago taking a little 2 week break then start walking again from St Jean.

I suggest you take your time, walk a little slower each day, enjoy the time and remember "The Way" is Your Way. Not a destination, but more of Journey.

Buen Camino
Thank you! And buen Camino 😎

For different - non-Covid - reasons, I have been asking myself these very same sorts of questions. A really good question to open up on the Forum, Domigee - and thanks to Anniesantiago and to others for their own thoughts.

In short, last year I had very strange and near fatal bike accident (no other vehicle or parties involved). I was found in a bad way, unconsious in a remote country lane.. but that's another story. A lot of fractured bones and a punctured lung resulted in hospitalisation for five weeks, but it was a "basal skull fracture" and fractured cochlea in one ear (causing permanent hearing loss and balance input to my brain from that ear) that has impacted most..... Lots of new adaptation learning involved. So, I ask very similar kinds of questions.
I've learned to be a "patient Patient", but the recovery timeline has been far beyond what the medics first told me. Currently at 10 months (to the day!) since the accident, I'm getting somewhere along the very long and winding recovery path, but I'm way, way off where I'd hoped to be.

Over the Camino Years, I have come across many, many folk on the different Routes and have been truly humbled by what I have witnessed.... Very (very!) old folk; a blind man walking with his sighted wife plus all gear and their very young child in a buggy; a newly deafened person in their 20's; a thirty-something with a terminal illness; a group in wheelchairs; others with severe restrictive physical issues - these all spring to mind as I write this, but there are many, many others. However, they all had one thing in common I think - a deep desire to walk their Camino. Memories of these extraordinary individuals have constantly made me thankful for what I am able to do and inspire me still.

I realise I am "diminished" (some vertigo and dizziness at times and so no more dancing down that rocky path from Acebo to Molinaseca for me! 😢), but I personally feel that my life needs to move on and I have booked up a Camino along a route I know so very well, Astorga to Santiago. A "fallow year" will have elapsed for me - April 21st will be one year plus one day when I set foot again on a path that I know and love so much. A very close friend is joining me and daily distances will be short.
My own hope is that this upcoming Camino will bring with it a kind of healing; an accelerated strengthening, improved balance and fitness and a renewed strength. These are my hopes, rather than being presumptuous expectations.

A long answer (my apologies!) - and I very much hope that I will not be criticised for foolishness or the like in what I have planned or said - but my own thoughts are that a measured approach and realistically moderated expectations to align with one's own state of health and physical condition is, perhaps, the answer to those like myself who ask these question of themselves and their conditions.

We are all emerging into hopefully better times (whether Covid-related or to other factors) and I wish all those in the above thread well, in moving on into those brighter and better times. Stay safe and blessed in all that you plan and do.

Last edited:
Despite being triple jabbed (in London) I have Covid as I write. I am self isolating with my wife and daughter (a teacher). The symptoms are not too bad, which I put down to being fully vaccinated. I did the Portuguese Camino in 2019 and am going back with the same friends in May (2022). I let my fitness go during the pandemic, but hope and expect to be ready in three months time 🙂🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So since there are several of us…what are you all thinking for approximate stage lengths, particularly in the first two weeks?
Are you walking the francés?
Because everything was booked up 😳 I’m starting really slowly. First night in Bayonne, then St Jean and after that auberge Borda. So only 10kms the first day.
I planned this Camino before I had Covid btw, as I am walking it with a friend who’s never walked before…l
i looked at my itinerary and it’s mostly about 21 km a day, until Montes de Oca..
Then it’s 28 to 31 kms… I may have to change that 😂😳

Are you walking the francés?
Because everything was booked up 😳 I’m starting really slowly. First night in Bayonne, then St Jean and after that auberge Borda. So only 10kms the first day.
I planned this Camino before I had Covid btw, as I am walking it with a friend who’s never walked before…l
i looked at my itinerary and it’s mostly about 21 km a day, until Montes de Oca..
Then it’s 28 to 31 kms… I may have to change that 😂😳
Everything is already booked up??? Crap I need to get on the ball. I only bought my ticket a week ago. It took me forever to make the decision, due to nervousness post covid.

Despite being triple jabbed (in London) I have Covid as I write. I am self isolating with my wife and daughter (a teacher). The symptoms are not too bad, which I put down to being fully vaccinated. I did the Portuguese Camino in 2019 and am going back with the same friends in May (2022). I let my fitness go during the pandemic, but hope and expect to be ready in three months time 🙂🙂
Oh I sympathise. Get better soon.
Same here, the symptoms weren’t that bad, as you said, thanks to being triple jabbed! Phew!
it’s just that - in my case anyway - the recovery seems very slow …
But then, maybe it’s just me… Thanks for being so positive, we’ll be fine! 🙂🙏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My sympathy to @domigee and to all of you who are recovering from covid. I was very lucky not to get it when volunteering as a hospitalera last November. By then I only had two shots, so was somewhat vulnerable. I know, from recovering from knee replacement surgery before my last camino, that recovery from any major surgery or illness and getting into shape to walk a camino is challenging. But I did not decide to walk until my surgeon told me that I could do whatever I wanted. And I had a little time after that to work at improving my fitness. I can see that @domigee 's situation is difficult for two reasons: there appears to be no way to know how long recovery will take or how much you will recover. Also, there is the challenge of walking with someone else whose fitness and ability to complete planned stages are better than your own. You cannot promise to improve in two months. You can advise your walking companion of your situation and discuss with her what changes you may need to make as you walk your camino. If your time for the camino is set, you may need to rely on buses or taxis to help you keep up, or make other changes that make it still possible for you to go on camino together (shorter and slower?). Good luck in whatever you decide and I shall pray for your swift recovery from covid and that of all the afflicted.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm about in the same boat-- got Covid over the New Year's holiday, likely from visiting grandchildren. We had negative tests by January 18th. Back to daily walks. did a 10-miler with a group going on a steep coastal ridge in California (likened to the stretch going from SJPDP to Orrison)-- came in just about dead last! But who cares! I will be on the trails in Portugal and Spain by mid-May. I will walk at my own pace. I've finished booking stays during my entire hike at small inexpensive B&Bs/family-run hotels and expect to do fine. I had been more nervous about meeting requirements of traveling through 4 European countries to say the truth, but as long as I am careful and do not contract Covid again, I think I will do fine. From what I am reading here and from other sources, the European infrastructure with this appears to be able to handler the needs of travelers. This is my 4th try at trying to do a hike (not my first), and I would not relish the thoughts of canceling yet again.

Last edited:
Yes like many of you here, I picked up Omicron when we were in Toronto visiting our children and grandchildren. I had mild symtoms for three days before Christmas, then I felt OK. My wife was with me all the time and she was not infected! We both had our booster shots early December last year. We are planning to walk the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria around April 2, 2022. My main concern now is hoping Spain would not require negative PCR test to get in, as the nurse told me I may test positive for up to three months even if I was fully recovered before the New Year! So fingers crossed! Since I am 73 years sold now so we will take it easy and walk 20 km or less in a day!!
Buen Camino to all !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's a graphic I saw showing that the first covid wave in march 2020 was approximately 20 times as severe as normal flu: the current strains are around twice as bad. So it will also depend on when you got covid, as well as whether you're vaxxed

I got covid in March 2020 on the Camino de Santiago I think - I fell really sick 4 days after having to leave the csmino for lockdown

I was really I'll and triaged to crisis nurse

I couldn't speak for 12 days, couldn't walk a mile for 5 months, couldn't walk and talk simultaneously for a year. Couldn't cycle for 18 months. Couldn't swim for 20 months. Still can't run and i don't think that's ever coming back

I have long covid and brain fog etc, other disabilities and now have severe asthma. I can also get overloaded by mental exertion as well as physical which is so weird

But I trained and I walked 200 miles to Glasgow in September

And I am planning to restart the Camino in 6 weeks, God willing

I would say base your camino on how far you can walk now. If you can build up to like a 15k walk without being toxically tired the next day I reckon you'll be ok. I trained for the walk to Glasgow and I was nervous. I overdid it a couple of times but I arrived. I did 12- 20k each day in a group

My plan is:

Leave plenty of time (I have left 42 days not including travel. But my flight home was like £15 so I will buy a new one if I have to rather than stress to arrive). Take rest days. Prioritise rest and sleep. Take a credit card and use it if you need a break or to go home.

Be aware of what really takes it out of you. Mine will be steep uphills, lots of upward steps and walking in traffic / polluted air. I will be aware I need rest after that

Although this thread is quite sad in some ways, if we are able to walk it will be the greatest gift

It looks like there may be some long covid/ post covid plus other pilgrim families that form this year. I hope so!

Many blessings and buen Camino xxx

I had Covid early this month, even spent a night in hospital. Much better now, but gawd do I tire easily! Still, I have every intention of walking in April, I am moving heaven and earth to make that happen. And when I step out on that path, I will only go as far as my body will let me, and from there to the nearest stopping place. I can do that.
One important thing I've learned on the camino is to listen to my body.
And to compromise if I need to. I might not make it to where I want to go, but I will enjoy the trip!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There's a graphic I saw showing that the first covid wave in march 2020 was approximately 20 times as severe as normal flu: the current strains are around twice as bad. So it will also depend on when you got covid, as well as whether you're vaxxed

I got covid in March 2020 on the Camino de Santiago I think - I fell really sick 4 days after having to leave the csmino for lockdown

I was really I'll and triaged to crisis nurse

I couldn't speak for 12 days, couldn't walk a mile for 5 months, couldn't walk and talk simultaneously for a year. Couldn't cycle for 18 months. Couldn't swim for 20 months. Still can't run and i don't think that's ever coming back

I have long covid and brain fog etc, other disabilities and now have severe asthma. I can also get overloaded by mental exertion as well as physical which is so weird

But I trained and I walked 200 miles to Glasgow in September

And I am planning to restart the Camino in 6 weeks, God willing

I would say base your camino on how far you can walk now. If you can build up to like a 15k walk without being toxically tired the next day I reckon you'll be ok. I trained for the walk to Glasgow and I was nervous. I overdid it a couple of times but I arrived. I did 12- 20k each day in a group

My plan is:

Leave plenty of time (I have left 42 days not including travel. But my flight home was like £15 so I will buy a new one if I have to rather than stress to arrive). Take rest days. Prioritise rest and sleep. Take a credit card and use it if you need a break or to go home.

Be aware of what really takes it out of you. Mine will be steep uphills, lots of upward steps and walking in traffic / polluted air. I will be aware I need rest after that

Although this thread is quite sad in some ways, if we are able to walk it will be the greatest gift

It looks like there may be some long covid/ post covid plus other pilgrim families that form this year. I hope so!

Many blessings and buen Camino xxx
This is helpful and weirdly encouraging. Long Covid sucks. No doubt about it. I had delta (previously no health issues) and I have never in my life been as incapacitated as that. This is my 6th month out from it. I still have issues but it’s less each month.

It’s discouraging to remember when 25 km was no big deal, knowing just how slow I’m going to have to take it this time. But I’m also hoping this will be a way to regain some stamina. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

It sounds like I won’t be the only one recovering while walking.

Wishing you all a safe and speedy recovery to normal health.

Pat and I had COVID the first couple of weeks of January this year. Pat has taken longer to recover than me, he is still left with an annoying cough and we are both easily fatigued, Pat more than me.
We are all booked to fly to Spain on 3rd May and start walking the Frances on 9th, May. We are back to walking up to 14kms a day.
Luckily on the Camino we don't have to do our normal household jobs, only minimal washing then resting, eating and sleeping as well as our daily strolls! ;)

Buen Camino Everyone.

This is helpful and weirdly encouraging. Long Covid sucks. No doubt about it. I had delta (previously no health issues) and I have never in my life been as incapacitated as that. This is my 6th month out from it. I still have issues but it’s less each month.

It’s discouraging to remember when 25 km was no big deal, knowing just how slow I’m going to have to take it this time. But I’m also hoping this will be a way to regain some stamina. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

It sounds like I won’t be the only one recovering while walking.
Buen Camino, Eve!

I had Covid in December 2020, before vaccinations were available. I was so careful and hardly left my home, but there were (and still are) a lot of Covid cooties flying around my town and they found me. I was sick for about three weeks, with the middle week being the worst with feeling quite ill and a bit of a fever, but I never had any shortness of breath or even thought of seeing a doctor. It took a while to bounce back. I felt weird and weak for about a month, and I still don’t have all of my taste and sense of smell back. Maybe I never will.

I happened to see this article today. Although it is mainly about long Covid, it gives good, current info about what the virus does to your body, even with mild cases. https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/how-long-covid-exhausts-the-body/

I also was very ill with pneumonia (pre-Covid) about six months before I started walking the CF in 2019. I was sick for ten weeks, like completely non-functioning and miserable. Pneumonia is nasty. It had taken a huge toll on my fitness and stamina, and I did what I could to train, but truthfully I really wasn’t ready for a Camino. I knew I would have to take things slowly and I didn’t carry my pack. Even so, it was too much. In the first week, I had several physical problems come up due to my poor state, caught a bad cold, and eventually developed bronchitis and could not walk up even the slightest hill. I could barely walk up the stairs at pensions. I was with my husband, and while I don’t fault him at all because he was certainly trying to accommodate me, it was hard to ‘listen to my body’ while my walking partner was wanting to move along. I was very concerned that I would end up with pneumonia all over again. We ended up having to quit in Burgos, which I hated.

So I offer that as a cautionary tale.

Last edited:
I recovered from Delta in mid December (mild symptoms like food poisoning) and will walk the CP da Costa from the 1st of April.

No Problems at all. Walked 10k in the snowy Harz mountains last weekend.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
🤞🏻❤️🙏🏻 I really hope you’re right. I don’t mind being part of the 🐢 club.
We are proud, self-proclaimed permanent members of the Turtle Club! In my younger years, I ran marathons, challenged mountains, and was a national level team sport player. This is a senior testimony that going slow and really being in the moment can be just as satisfying!

What an encouraging thread!
Thank you everyone.

I am just out of the woods and a bit disconcerted by the low energy - so it is great to know we are many, we post covid turtles. Like you, @Marbe2, I have a memory of marathons and triathlons (long ago), and (more recently) 35km days on the camino - but the body is in a new and very different place right now. And I intend to do what I can do joyfully! I will be walking in early April, fortunately where it is flatflatflat.

I’m doing the last 14 stages of the Norte in May. I had a mini stroke last June and am still not as fit as I was. I have pre booked all my accommodation as I couldn’t cope with not being sure where I was going to stay each day. If I don’t feel able to complete each stage ,I will simply get on a bus or into a taxi. It’s my Camino and I’ll do it my way!
P.S I won’t be collecting a Compostela.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much all of you for your responses. I wish you all well as we all try and recover .. Ultreia!
Today I flew to Spain, after having had to postpone my flight twice - I just didn’t feel up to it - and just negotiating Gatwick airport exhausted me! 😂 Made me laugh but hey, I did it. This will be a very SLOW camino 😁

Thank you so much all of you for your responses. I wish you all well as we all try and recover .. Ultreia!
Today I flew to Spain, after having had to postpone my flight twice - I just didn’t feel up to it - and just negotiating Gatwick airport exhausted me! 😂 Made me laugh but hey, I did it. This will be a very SLOW camino 😁
How exciting! You will have a whole new camino experience being a turtle. Please keep us informed domigee, not necessarily just about how far you get each day,but in what ways your experience is different!?

Attachments

• B88FB54A-A1E5-4D74-AE52-BE916873A7FF.jpeg
    B88FB54A-A1E5-4D74-AE52-BE916873A7FF.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

€149,-
My husband and I both had covid over New Years, 62 years, both triple vaxxed, and had very mild symptoms. We went skiing mid-January. The first day out we were quickly exhausted, but a month later we both feel very normal energy-wise. My husband tweaked his knee skiing so if anything slows us down now it will be that. He has still been able to get out for 6-7km walks with no pain, so we are optimistic. Fingers crossed, getting MRI results today.
Looking forward to our mid-May start on the norte. We plan to keep it to 15km days for the first week and then increase as we can.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband and I both had covid over New Years, 62 years, both triple vaxxed, and had very mild symptoms. We went skiing mid-January. The first day out we were quickly exhausted, but a month later we both feel very normal energy-wise. My husband tweaked his knee skiing so if anything slows us down now it will be that. He has still been able to get out for 6-7km walks with no pain, so we are optimistic. Fingers crossed, getting MRI results today.
Looking forward to our mid-May start on the norte. We plan to keep it to 15km days for the first week and then increase as we can.
That’s hopeful, thanks! I hope your husband’s knee is ok 🙏 Buen Camino on the Norte!
I must say that having escaped the bad weather in England, I felt very much better here in Spain today. Walked just under 15 km. Last week I could barely drag myself upstairs 😁
Ultreia everyone, with or without Covid. We will manage (albeit slowly 😂). Thank you so much all for your comments, it really helped 🙂

That’s hopeful, thanks! I hope your husband’s knee is ok 🙏 Buen Camino on the Norte!
I must say that having escaped the bad weather in England, I felt very much better here in Spain today. Walked just under 15 km. Last week I could barely drag myself upstairs 😁
Ultreia everyone, with or without Covid. We will manage (albeit slowly 😂). Thank you so much all for your comments, it really helped 🙂
So glad and a mite envious (though my time will come) that you’ve made it there. What a great first day walking. Don’t be tempted to go too far too fast. Above all, enjoy. Buen Camino

So happy to see you being delighted! It will be one day at a time, as ever on a camino. I will keep my electronic candles going for you. Well done, well done. 👣👣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
domigee,

You must be so excited since now you are back in Spain.

I wish you a very good journey and like so many of your digital friends look forward to reading how it all evolves.

Carpe diem and in the truest sense Ultreia!

Margaret

So glad and a mite envious (though my time will come) that you’ve made it there. What a great first day walking. Don’t be tempted to go too far too fast. Above all, enjoy. Buen Camino
Oh don’t feel envious, I am not on the Camino yet… I’m only here to have radiators installed (in Alicante) as we froze this Winter 😁 (It was an unusually cold January - or maybe I’m just getting older 😉)
When are you off? 😎 I’m hoping to start End of April.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh don’t feel envious, I am not on the Camino yet… I’m only here to have radiators installed (in Alicante) as we froze this Winter 😁 (It was an unusually cold January - or maybe I’m just getting older 😉)
When are you off? 😎 I’m hoping to start End of April.
I'm lucky enough, covid willing, to be out twice this year (makes up for my cancellation last year). Two weeks on the CF with my grandson, starting at SJPP on July 4th and then the Camino Portugues, coastal, from 2nd September. Enjoy your camino when you get there.

. I've finished booking stays during my entire hike at small inexpensive B&Bs/family-run hotels and expect to do fine.
I overdid it on a training walk yesterday. 😑 I may have to walk even slower than I thought. I was just wondering approximately how many km apart have you booked your accommodations?

I know we are all on different paces with different health concerns. There are lots of ppl who take 50+ days but I’ve never seen a possible itinerary longer than about 40 days.

I’m just trying to get a sense of what it might look like, a 50+ day itinerary.

I overdid it on a training walk yesterday. 😑 I may have to walk even slower than I thought. I was just wondering approximately how many km apart have you booked your accommodations?

I know we are all on different paces with different health concerns. There are lots of ppl who take 50+ days but I’ve never seen a possible itinerary longer than about 40 days.

I’m just trying to get a sense of what it might look like, a 50+ day itinerary.
I think you just will have to take it a few days at a time if you want to book in advance. The nice thing I found as a slow walker with reservations is that I was not under any pressure to get to my destination to make sure I had a place to sleep..

I think you just will have to take it a few days at a time if you want to book in advance. The nice thing I found as a slow walker with reservations is that I was not under any pressure to get to my destination to make sure I had a place to sleep..
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. The pressure to get a bed really just ruins the theoretical joy of the freedom to stop whenever, for me.

I’m still trying to get a sense of pace for myself. Ppl say “slow walkers” but what does that even mean? If you’re walking slow but still covering 25 km, that’s different than both slow and 15 km.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
I caught the wild/first variant of Covid already April 2020, with serious long-/post-covid after what was a mild infection. The whole array of long-covid symptoms (random irregular heartbeat, random low oxygen values, chest pain, brain fog, loss of smell, joint pain, and much much more ... the whole set of goodies) accompanied me for more than a year and still occasionally pops up. Nevertheless I did a longer dog-sled expedition already last winter as a test if I could trust my body again, last summer I did a cardio check-up and this year I am ramping up physical activity.
However it really is a pain as I lost so much fitness. But then again this pain is the only way to regain fitness :cool:
So my personal advice: As long as you do not feel any heart-related problems ... do not worry. Accept the little extra pain and see it as a chance on your path to recovery and as a test how far you already got after the illness :)
A Camino is a long way, and it is perfectly possible to build up stamina along the way. While the first weeks you might be slow, you could get faster during the second half. And that will really feel like an achievement and make you happy.

if I could trust my body again, last summer

This is a really good way to put it. It feels weird to not entirely trust your body again. I got the all clear from the doctor. It's the diminished lung capacity that unnerves me, although joint pain and brain fog still seem to pop up randomly, too. It's also incredibly difficult to re create the uniqueness of a Camino while training. I do take breaks as I would on trail, but I also am full time mom with all that entails, so my energy and brain are divided, and I tend to rush my treadmill walks because I have to get other things done, afterwards. I'm really hoping that once walking is the *only thing I need to concern myself with, it will be a bit easier. I'm planning on carrying some food so that I can stop and rest and eat without feeling the push to get to a certain town in order to take a break. I probably should make sure I've got something to sit on, too. :D

@domigee thanks so much for starting this conversation. It is nice to know there's a place to talk about this with others experiencing the same things. I'm grateful for that.

€83,-
Yes I had mostly mild symptoms (vaccinated) 2 months ago and I was surprised to feel my lung capacity not up to my normal condition. At first I thought it was that I had been on the couch for a week or so, but then realized it was from Covid. So as many have said, just go and do shorter stages and take your time. It will be a different camino but wonderful all the same. It may bring out more empathy for others who struggle through physical or mental health issues. I also will be starting out soon, April 8th from Seville. I am a bit nervous that I chose this long route but I know there are always options to bus to another place/route if I wasn't faring well. Anyways, buen camino and let us know how you manage.

I too am recovering from COVID this January. It was a light case but I become tired easily and I have some brain fog. I am going on the Camino in April. I am traveling with my girlfriend, we are both 76 and have had airline tickets since 2019. We plan fewer miles per day and upgrading where we stay. I encourage any one who has doubts to remember the intrinsic spirit of the Camino-to walk in harmony with nature and trust yourself, your fellow pilgrims and all the wonderful helpers in Spain.

I had Covid in the very early days, before we even knew it was going around in our area, February 2020. I didn’t get very sick, but it gave me the worst case of bronchitis that I had ever had. Then in September 2021, I walked the Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago and then to Muxia. It was difficult even after all that time had passed, especially anytime I had to go uphill, thankfully there were not that many hills on the Portuguese way, but there were more than I thought there would be! I definitely noticed a difference. But I made it, and now I’m planning on going back this fall and hiking the Chemin du Piedmont Pyrenees. I feel like I’m in better shape now than I was last fall, so time and exercise are hopefully making a difference.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had Covid in the very early days, before we even knew it was going around in our area, February 2020. I didn’t get very sick, but it gave me the worst case of bronchitis that I had ever had. Then in September 2021, I walked the Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago and then to Muxia. It was difficult even after all that time had passed, especially anytime I had to go uphill, thankfully there were not that many hills on the Portuguese way, but there were more than I thought there would be! I definitely noticed a difference. But I made it, and now I’m planning on going back this fall and hiking the Chemin du Piedmont Pyrenees. I feel like I’m in better shape now than I was last fall, so time and exercise are hopefully making a difference.
Wonderful to hear this! Bon chemin! 🙂

I too am recovering from COVID this January. It was a light case but I become tired easily and I have some brain fog. I am going on the Camino in April. I am traveling with my girlfriend, we are both 76 and have had airline tickets since 2019. We plan fewer miles per day and upgrading where we stay. I encourage any one who has doubts to remember the intrinsic spirit of the Camino-to walk in harmony with nature and trust yourself, your fellow pilgrims and all the wonderful helpers in Spain.
Wonderful to hear this, very encouraging. Buen Camino to you both 🙂

Yes I had mostly mild symptoms (vaccinated) 2 months ago and I was surprised to feel my lung capacity not up to my normal condition. At first I thought it was that I had been on the couch for a week or so, but then realized it was from Covid. So as many have said, just go and do shorter stages and take your time. It will be a different camino but wonderful all the same. It may bring out more empathy for others who struggle through physical or mental health issues. I also will be starting out soon, April 8th from Seville. I am a bit nervous that I chose this long route but I know there are always options to bus to another place/route if I wasn't faring well. Anyways, buen camino and let us know how you manage.
Thank you so much for that, that’s exactly how I feel. Enjoy the Via de la Plata 😎 Do let us know how it goes, I will too 🙂

€83,-

When is your start date?
Reading all the comments confirms what I always thought: The virus affects everyone differently. That's hardly profound; no two of us have the same health and fitness profile. In my case, vaxxed and boostered, I got Covid in mid-January. It hit me very hard and I was deeply concerned. I couldn't sleep for two nights but was determined to ride it out. No way I was going to a hospital: too many sick people there! At precisely 3pm the fourth day of my illness (I remember this vividly), poof! The virus was gone. I waited till I tested negative to resume walking, and my latest hikes have been long ones with thousands of feet of elevation gain. I am relieved to say that my new normal is not a new normal; it's the old normal. I'm ready to walk a long camino NOW.
But...I wouldn't take my experience and generalize it. As I said, we each have a unique health and fitness profile.

Well for me it meant everybody passed me except one old man and his granddaughter. by the way her parents passed me too! 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢
Did another practice walk today and got a better sense of where I am because I was able to walk outside rather than the treadmill. I think for me, at least for the first couple of weeks , it means an 18 km limit with some shorter days sprinkled in. And a lot of stopping to rest. /sigh That feels like it’s not good enough, to me.

€149,-
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
I caught the wild/first variant of Covid already April 2020, with serious long-/post-covid after what was a mild infection. The whole array of long-covid symptoms (random irregular heartbeat, random low oxygen values, chest pain, brain fog, loss of smell, joint pain, and much much more ... the whole set of goodies) accompanied me for more than a year and still occasionally pops up. Nevertheless I did a longer dog-sled expedition already last winter as a test if I could trust my body again, last summer I did a cardio check-up and this year I am ramping up physical activity.
However it really is a pain as I lost so much fitness. But then again this pain is the only way to regain fitness :cool:
So my personal advice: As long as you do not feel any heart-related problems ... do not worry. Accept the little extra pain and see it as a chance on your path to recovery and as a test how far you already got after the illness :)
A Camino is a long way, and it is perfectly possible to build up stamina along the way. While the first weeks you might be slow, you could get faster during the second half. And that will really feel like an achievement and make you happy.
I am so glad you recovered. Wow, a dog-sled expedition, made me dream! 😎 Thank you for the words of encouragement. 🙂

This is a really good way to put it. It feels weird to not entirely trust your body again. I got the all clear from the doctor. It's the diminished lung capacity that unnerves me, although joint pain and brain fog still seem to pop up randomly, too. It's also incredibly difficult to re create the uniqueness of a Camino while training. I do take breaks as I would on trail, but I also am full time mom with all that entails, so my energy and brain are divided, and I tend to rush my treadmill walks because I have to get other things done, afterwards. I'm really hoping that once walking is the *only thing I need to concern myself with, it will be a bit easier. I'm planning on carrying some food so that I can stop and rest and eat without feeling the push to get to a certain town in order to take a break. I probably should make sure I've got something to sit on, too. :D

@domigee thanks so much for starting this conversation. It is nice to know there's a place to talk about this with others experiencing the same things. I'm grateful for that.
Yes, good idea to take snacks for when you need it, so there is no stress 🙂 Somewhere else you mention 18 km isn’t quite enough…. I disagree. As @Arctic_Alex mentioned, you train as you go along, we’ll just have to take it slow to start with. After reading all the messsages, I think that at the end, we will be running it! 😁😉🤣
As a by-the-by, I wanted to delete this thread as soon as I posted it but didn’t manage it and gave up😁 I am glad of it now, I found it so helpful to ‘talk’ to you all and hear your experiences.

€149,-
Ppl say “slow walkers” but what does that even mean?
In my honest opinion they are just words with a different meaning for different people.
For one 3km. is super fast and for others it's like walking as a turtle.
What I want to say is people are different and therefore heal different to.

I wish you all a speady healing proces.🙏🏻

Hi all. Has anyone walked shortly after having covid? I am triple-vaccinated, and have recently caught Omicron. I am on day 6 of having covid, and currently can't get out of bed without nausea and dizziness. I am due to start walking my primitivo in 7 weeks. I am now wondering how realistic a prospect that is. However, I am a generally healthy 45 yo, so am sure I will recover quickly.. I am interested to know: have you walked after recovering from coronavirus?

Fill yourself up with lots of vitamin D -- not medicine but a food supplement, or I'd avoid giving advice.

I had Covid back in January (vaccinated and boosted). I am 37 and currently 8 weeks post Covid. It killed my endurance for a couple of weeks, but I am back and better than pre-infection.

It will be different for everyone, but work back at it slowly.

Last edited:

I read through this conversation today. There's a lot here that I think is helpful for those of us recovering from covid, etc, so I thought I'd link it here. There's a section on not letting doubt get the best of us, which many of us have mentioned here.

The notes on my iphone are starting to look like "@davebugg 's advice on walking, on doubt, on avoiding hypothermia." :D (thank you, Dave. I appreciate your posts).

Post covid brain fog being what it is, I like having something to read immediately before I head out on what I know is going to be a hard day.

Yes, but I had COVID after receiving 3 doses of vaccine (darn Omicron got lots of vaccinated folks - unlike other strains). For me, COVID illness was mild comparatively. I was definitely drained and would not recommend planning a walk like this in the first month after a COVID diagnosis - even if you were vaccinated and had a mild case. And I am not just making the recommendation because of my illness - I have been working with COVID in the school settings since it began and know how lots of people of all ages have recovered. But my 1 month recommendation is just because the fatigue is real. If you have a more serious case of COVID it might take longer to recover - but everyone is different.

Hi all. Has anyone walked shortly after having covid? I am triple-vaccinated, and have recently caught Omicron. I am on day 6 of having covid, and currently can't get out of bed without nausea and dizziness. I am due to start walking my primitivo in 7 weeks. I am now wondering how realistic a prospect that is. However, I am a generally healthy 45 yo, so am sure I will recover quickly.. I am interested to know: have you walked after recovering from coronavirus?
I did. The day after I tested negative. Only a shortish walk, about 8km I think. I was so happy to be out and it was a sunny day. Big mistake, with hindsight it was much too early, I felt unwell again the following days 🙄 I’ve since read (can’t remember where) only about 15 min exercise are recommended straight after Covid.
That said, you have 7 weeks and you’re young… I think you’ll be fine - but take it easy at the beginning 🙂

Post covid brain fog being what it is
Post covid difficulties are extremely variable from one individual to the next -- I *think* I had it at the turn of 2019-2020 (a "weird flu" lasting a couple of months), but no lasting difficulties I can recall ; I definitely had it in October to December 2021, a mild, basically common cold-like case (except for 2 months instead of 2-5 days), though there were some days where my "normal" chronic inflammation symptoms & pain were a lot worse than normal, and they are somewhat worse generally post-covid, but the worst of that did clear after about 5-6 weeks.

It's not unlikely (from how the virus attacks) that some at least of the "long covid" disorders are from worsened pre-existing autoimmune conditions. Omicron should behave somewhat differently though, because the worst pathogen in the original strain and in the pre-omicron variants has seemingly been replaced by a much less virulent one from a South African mouse cold virus.

Anyway, an Israeli study has demonstrated that optimal metabolic vitamin D levels are key to resisting it ; so, oily fish, eggs, mushrooms, being an outdoor worker, a sportsman, or perhaps, say --- spending several hours a day out in the Sun on a Camino !! (Likely explains why, so far as I am aware, only one pilgrim has come down with the disease so far.) If you're suffering from post-covid symptoms and can't do much, even just sitting about out in the Sun should help. If you take vitamin D supplements, make sure to eat greens a few times a week, the greener the better, else vitamin K ones too (do not exceed recommended dose of K).

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are a lot of reports and research do on this.. but in the end, I would ask a medical professional if you have question on this.
As always -- methods to improve one's metabolic health through dietary means certainly do nothing to diminish the need for proper medical attention and care, from one's doctor.

(Likely explains why, so far as I am aware, only one pilgrim has come down with the disease so far.)
Ummmm. @JabbaPapa, are you only counting people you personally know?
Plenty of pilgrims have contracted covid.

There are a lot of reports and research do on this.. but in the end I would ask a medical professional if you have question on this.
Thank you.
Lots of people quote studies with neither understanding of the subject matter, nor any sense of how to read a scientific paper with a critical eye. There's plenty of rubbish out there. Published and in the public domain, but still not worthy of being taken seriously. Medical professionals will be wise to bad science.

Thanks @domigee for starting this thread, and to all who've replied.

I didn't expect to be contributing, but I'm starting a camino with my niece on 7th April. It's our fourth attempt at this walk - initially postponed due to injury and then the pandemic. And guess what? Despite 2 vaccines, a booster, good health and a very careful lifestyle (I've caring responsibilities) I have Covid.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but I've no thoughts right now of cancelling. I will, however reduce my workload and take really good care of myself between now and our departure date. We've a great plan to walk from O'Cebreiro and arrive in Santiago for Easter - it would be awful if we had to come up with a version 5.

Most of the comments here have been helpful. They kind of stopped me in my tracks and made me realise the need to up my self-care game in the coming weeks. And perhaps to send my bag ahead 😱 if I'm not as fit as usual. However, I'm also taking encouragement from those who bounced back relatively quickly.
Obviously all of this is subject to intelligent consideration of my medical situation when the time comes.

Thanks pilgrims!

Last edited:
Well I got a simple head cold a week ago. And apparently post Covid it takes twice as long to get over than it did pre-Covid. 😑 So I lost over a week of training. And I’ll be flying to Spain soon. I’m not giving up. I just keep telling myself I can walk slower. Take more breaks.

I think even though I read the news obsessively (a habit I need to break on the Camino), I still cannot quite get over how life changing it is to get Covid. In my head I’m the same. My body is like “ummmm, we are not the same.”

I think the Camino may end up being me getting to know this new not-the-same me.

It never ceases to amaze me how I plan a Camino and the Camino has a different idea of what the plan is going to be.

I’m just gonna go with it. It’s either that or stay at home.

€83,-
Thanks @domigee for starting this thread, and to all who've replied.

I didn't expect to be contributing, but I'm starting a camino with my niece on 7th April. It's our fourth attempt at this walk - initially postponed due to injury and then the pandemic. And guess what? Despite 2 vaccines, a booster, good health and a very careful lifestyle (I have caring responsibilities) I have Covid.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but I've no thoughts right now of cancelling. I will, however reduce my workload and take really good care of myself between now and our departure date. We've a great plan to walk from O'Cebreiro and arrive in Santiago for Easter - it would be awful if we had to come up with a version 5.

Most of the comments here have been helpful. They kind of stopped me in my tracks and made me realise the need to up my self-care game in the coming weeks. And perhaps to send my bag ahead 😱 if I'm not as fit as usual. However, I'm also taking encouragement from those who bounced back relatively quickly.
Obviously all of this is subject to intelligent consideration of my medical situation when the time comes.

Thanks pilgrims!
Oh Nuala, I’m sorry to hear this. I hope you don’t feel too bad with it.
I know we are all different but it is now 7 weeks since I tested positive and I went on a 10k walk this w/e (gentle slopes) with my walking partner.
I felt fine! A bit more short of breath than usual when going up but it may just be the lack of training!
Take care of yourself and don’t rush into doing too much even when you are finally negative… Thinking of you… 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back