• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RED Flashlight

Clapac

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
The last Camino I did, I've noticied a pilgrim using a flashligh that had a red light instead of normal (white) light. He used it in the albergue, and this red light wasn't disturbing the other pilgrims, who were sleeping yet.
I think it's a good idea, because the flashlights at 5 in the morning annoy a lot!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The last Camino I did, I've noticied a pilgrim using a flashligh that had a red light instead of normal (white) light. He used it in the albergue, and this red light wasn't disturbing the other pilgrims, who were sleeping yet.
I think it's a good idea, because the flashlights at 5 in the morning annoy a lot!
Any flashlight is annoying at 5 in the morning ;)

A red lens flashlight is the least annoying light, I too used a red lens flashlight in the military, the berthing areas on a ship use a red lens light after 2200, I can sleep with one on and it doesn't bother me.

If only more pilgrims knew about a red lens for their flashlights, it could make the albergue experience a lot better.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I use a red light, a cyclists clip-on tail light, great for minimising disturbance to others in Albergues and, in blinking mode, a valuable safety device on dark mornings.

Red flashlights can be found in astronomy shops (search Rigel Starlite for instance). They feature an adjustable brightness control, which could be clever in this context.

Also, many headlamps have both white (bright) and red (dim) LEDs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, many headlamps have both white (bright) and red (dim) LEDs.
True..., like Petzl Tikka and similar, with 2 (or 3) dimmer steps white light & red light & red blinking light. Also available with rechargeable battery!!! Very usefull.

K1

I do a four hour presentation on Sports Vision. Among moving targets: red and green are the most difficult because they blend in and the viewer may only see orange. In my case, I am color blind for both red and green. At night I see white light where there are actually red and green.
Makes night time navigation on the water rather interesting.
Unless the red/green lens light is aimed directly into your eyes...there is little disturbance noticed.
Hope that sheds some light on the discussion.
Arn

I hope people are not getting up to start walking at 5 a.m! We have not made our Camino yet, but in my readings it says not to THINK about getting up and disturbing others that early! I hope this person just needed to heed the call of nature and thank goodness he/she was using the red flashlight in any case although it still appeared to wake you up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From posts on the forum I am afraid that whatever it says there are folk who do get up and start walking that early. Face/eye masks and earplugs are called for if you want to sleep on. Very light to carry but an essential part of my kit now.

I hope people are not getting up to start walking at 5 a.m! We have not made our Camino yet, but in my readings it says not to THINK about getting up and disturbing others that early! I hope this person just needed to heed the call of nature and thank goodness he/she was using the red flashlight in any case although it still appeared to wake you up.
Well, you'll be disappointed here :D Especially on CF in "high season" I experienced that some even started (rustling in dormitory that is...) at 4 in the morning!!! I never will understand that, but I guess that's just me ;)

Yeah, like KinkyOne said, it's inevitable that you will experience people getting up and moving around at 5:00 am in the albergues, and there will be flashlight beams moving about and your average peregrino is not versed in tactical light usage, ha ha.
Don't sweat it though. It's all part of the Camino. It will actually bother you less than you think, and it had little to no negative effect on either of my Caminos. Like the saying goes, "it's all good".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's all part of the Camino. It will actually bother you less than you think, and it had little to no negative effect on either of my Caminos. Like the saying goes, "it's all good".

Ditto! I might just add that it will bother you at first, then follow Mark's advice ;)
Have a nice Camino!

Yeah, like KinkyOne said, it's inevitable that you will experience people getting up and moving around at 5:00 am in the albergues, and there will be flashlight beams moving about and your average peregrino is not versed in tactical light usage, ha ha.
Don't sweat it though. It's all part of the Camino. It will actually bother you less than you think, and it had little to no negative effect on either of my Caminos. Like the saying goes, "it's all good".
The red light is a good idea though. We'll have to dig out our from our Army days. Am I correct to assume that batteries are batteries the world over and that I won't have any trouble finding standard AAA or AA batteries in Spain?

The red light is a good idea though. We'll have to dig out our from our Army days. Am I correct to assume that batteries are batteries the world over and that I won't have any trouble finding standard AAA or AA batteries in Spain?
Oh yeah, you can easily find AA's and AAA's for sale in Spain. On my second Camino I had one set of two AA's in my small flashlight and and spare set of two in my pack. That was all I needed. I didn't use my flashlight much. Did no walking in the dark and always waited until after the initial surge of awakening and moving about peregrinos was finished before I got up and started my day. On my first Camino I probably walked while it was still dark on only four or five different mornings.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Was that me? Caminho Portuguese; Porto to Santiago, 10 Oct to (Seminario Menor) Oct 25 - 29.
I was using a dual color LED flashlight with low intensity RED and high intensity WHITE.
Great for navigating to the toilet several times in the night without bumping into others or stumbling down the stairs.
Very compact, lightweight (as possible with lithium AAA batteries), used nightly.
Highly recommend dual function lights like this one.

Was that me? Caminho Portuguese; Porto to Santiago, 10 Oct to (Seminario Menor) Oct 25 - 29.
I was using a dual color LED flashlight with low intensity RED and high intensity WHITE.
Great for navigating to the toilet several times in the night without bumping into others or stumbling down the stairs.
Very compact, lightweight (as possible with lithium AAA batteries), used nightly.
Highly recommend dual function lights like this one.

Sorry, but many scenarios came to my mind ("Was that me?") :D

K1

From one who likes to sleep a little later, I was delighted to notice a dorm-mate used his red flashlight one morning. I did wake up - but that was just me - not his flashlight. But it seemed to be so much more "mute" than the brightness of the regular ones. Thanks so much Giovanni!!
Terry

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome to the Camino. You are in for a surprise...

I took a red/white headlamp.
i never got to use it as the little light on my watch helped me enough to get to the bathroom.

However...the switch of my headlamp kept turning on when it was in my pack. So my pack kinda had a "ET phone home" thing going on. ;)
Check your instructions; my headlamp as a lock setting which prevents this.

Karl

Let me tell you about the early risers, this group of (insert name) pilgrims got up at 0430 and woke everybody with their talking and packing, finally they rolled out about 0515, I got up 45 min later and had breakfast with the two volunteer hospitaleras, they too shook their heads about their own countrymen (not Spanish) and were not happy either. I finally rolled out at 0630 and passed them while they were having breakfast at the next town.
The thing with most early risers is that you won't see them again, they leave early and get to the albergue usually before noon, I usually walked until 1400-1600, I felt it was a waste to just walk until noon and sleep the rest of the day. You can spot them because they are the ones sleeping the whole afternoon and like to turn off the lights at 2000, I still turned on the lights if it was before 2200.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The earliest we were disturbed was in El Burgo Ranero; 3.40 by a Canadian man who left at 4am; this was Sept 22nd, so still dark for at least 3 hours!

The earliest we were disturbed was in El Burgo Ranero; 3.40 by a Canadian man who left at 4am; this was Sept 22nd, so still dark for at least 3 hours!

I just read the Manifesto of Villafranca de Bierzo, the closing remarks said this:
"The Camino is here for walking and enjoying, not for racing from albergue to albergue, standing in queue from 9 a.m. to get a bed for the night. Respect and solidarity should come first on the Jacobean Way. "

Even I'm surprised that someone would be waiting in the queue at 0900 waiting for the albergue to open.

Last edited:
I just read the Manifesto of Villafranca de Bierzo, the closing remarks said this:
"The Camino is here for walking and enjoying, not for racing from albergue to albergue, standing in queue from 9 a.m. to get a bed for the night. Respect and solidarity should come first on the Jacobean Way. "

Even I'm surprised that someone would be waiting in the queue at 0900 waiting for the albergue to open.
I will pray for these people who feel so driven. I do know a friend who feels she and her spouse will not have enough vacation days and is feeling very pressed for time and yet still wants the experience. I recommended based on some of the things I saw on the forum for them to to bicycle instead. In any case, I will do my best on my Camino to be quiet and use a red flashlight if I have to get up in the night to use the facility and rise for the morning at an acceptable hour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back