A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Red Hugh O Donnell (Aogh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill) possible gravesite found in Valladolid.

Nodtralee

An seachránaí
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2013, Del Norte 2014, Frances 2015, Del Nortel 2018.
An interesting story here. These articles included in the below links provide a brief summary of one of the early modern political connections concerning Spain and Gaelic Ireland.

Photos and information courtesy of the Irish Times, Irish Independent, and Irish Sun newspapers.

Hugh Rodgers

Camino(s) past & future
Camino from Porto to SdC. Next year will do the costal route.
Nodtralee, Thank you for sharing this information. It is great to think that they have finally found the remains of Red Hugh. Imagine if the remains could be brought back to his home place in the north of Ireland. After 400 years it would be some occasion.

Chris Taggart

Merrill23
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2013, Leon to Santiago 2018, Porto to Santiago 2019. Pamplona to Burgos (2020)
Thanks, fascinating story.

Pangloss

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata (2015)
A great, almost mythical, Irish hero. It would be pretty extraordinary if bones can be found which DNA shows to have been Red Hugh. Eight, rather than ten, toes would surely help. Who knows we might even learn whether the suspicion that he was poisoned by Queen Elizabeth's agents has any substance.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Most interesting although I don't know of any Gaelic ancestors of mine but I always liked Irish(wo)men. They can compete with us in partying (well, you know what I mean...) but we just can't compete with them in humour ;)

One thing puzzles me though. In the third link (https://www.thesun.ie/news/5459016/red-hugh-o-donnell-burial-spain-archaeologists/) the years of birth and death on Red Hugh's monument in Co Donegal says 1427-1505 but all the texts have 1572-1602. What am I missing?

Most interesting although I don't know of any Gaelic ancestors of mine but I always liked Irish(wo)men. They can compete with us in partying (well, you know what I mean...) but we just can't compete with them in humour ;)

One thing puzzles me though. In the third link (https://www.thesun.ie/news/5459016/red-hugh-o-donnell-burial-spain-archaeologists/) the years of birth and death on Red Hugh's monument in Co Donegal says 1427-1505 but all the texts have 1572-1602. What am I missing?
Good Morning Kinky One
They are two different people .A search of the internet will further enlighten you on their history.I am Irish but not an expert on this subject . Lots of O'Donnells in Ireland.

Nodtralee

An seachránaí
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2013, Del Norte 2014, Frances 2015, Del Nortel 2018.
Hello,

KinkyOne you are dead right. While the text in the third article is accurate, the monument picture you mention was a bit of a blunder!

I'm fairly sure that the newspapers author/editor included a different monument picture in the article. That Red Hugh O Donnell monument in the third picture would have been an ancestor of the Red Hugh supposedly buried in Valladolid. Apparently from a little research just done that monument in the third article depicts a Red Hugh O Donnell known locally in Donegal, (the area of the O Donnell dynasty), as Red Hugh I. The Red Hugh supposedly buried in Valladolid is referred to as Red Hugh II.

The link here shows an image of the monument for whom the Red Hugh is attributed to Valladolid.

Courtesy of Geography.ie.

Hope this clears that matter up for you.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 195 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 321 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock