• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Red vs blue route on the map.

Cycle gal

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese Route from Lisbon
We are travelling the Camino Portuguese by bicycle. We have arrived in Porto and are leaving tomorrow to continue to Santiago. Our green ‘The Camino portugese’ Guide book shows both a blue route and a red route. What is the difference? Also are the street arrows marking the route still yellow as in the portion from Lisbon to Porto?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Doesn't your guide book explain the different routes? IMHO it's not much of a guide book if it doesn't contain guidance
We have searched the entire book a few times and there is no index or legend for the dotted coloured routes. I agree that this was not the best choice of guide books. We have found other discrepancies in it too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I haven't the guide book before me, but the colours are explained in at least two places if I remember right. One is on the maps itself, when there are two routes they show the name on the side in the respective colour and the other place is on the page shortly after Porto where the different options are explained. I used that same guide last year in September and found it very good. Buen Camino, SY

Ok, I have the guide book now before me ;-)

Page 82 explains the different routes.

And yes, the arrows to Santiago are yellow, on all routes, the blue arrows you come sometimes across lead to Fatima.

Problem solved?

Buen Camino, SY

Are you talking about the Wise Pilgrim guide book? I just received mine for the Camino del Norte, and have only lightly perused it, but have the same question about red and blue trails.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@trecile Have a look at page 65 ;-)

Buen Camino, SY
I see that, but prior to page 65 are the map pages at the beginning of the book with red and blue paths and even a yellow one? I think that the author should have indicated on the first couple of pages of the book that the blue path is the main Camino route, and the red paths are alternates.

Ok, I have the guide book now before me ;-)

Page 82 explains the different routes.

And yes, the arrows to Santiago are yellow, on all routes, the blue arrows you come sometimes across lead to Fatima.

Problem solved?

Buen Camino, SY
Thank you so much. Very helpful. We arrived in Fao just keeping the ocean on our left and using the Camino signs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back