• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rediscovering the realities of Camino life

HighlandHind

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept 2012)
Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia (Sept 2014)
Porto to Santigo (Sept 2015)
The Meseta (hopefully April 2016)
Like many on this site I'm hooked on the camino and look back with a "rosy glow" on my month on the Frances in 2012 and last year's continuation of the journey to Finisterre and Muxia.

However I'm currently walking from Porto to Santiago on the Portuguese and rediscovering the aspects of camino life that slowly grind you down. You know... the aching, the sleeplessness, the bugs, the heavy pack, the squashed together beds ... all.the stuff that magically disappears once you're home and have had a bath.

This time I'm writing a blog as I walk so that I don't forget! It's at www.highlandhind.wordpress.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino and darn those bugs.
Haha, no option but to keep plodding on!
Looks like we walked the Camino Frances at the same time, Ingrid. I left St Jean at the end of August 2012 and arrived in Santiago at the end of Sept.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting to know the bugs are on the Portuguese route as well. I remember a hospitalero in Pamplona who claimed that they had all been brought into Spain from France. Sounds like they are migrating west!

Haha, no option but to keep plodding on!
Looks like we walked the Camino Frances at the same time, Ingrid. I left St Jean at the end of August 2012 and arrived in Santiago at the end of Sept.
You are a much faster walker. I arrived on Oct 20..2012 .my 6th birthday. I am following your journey...l walked the Portuguese this past July...but was eaten by bedbugs on the Sanabres in August...they just adore my blood.:eek:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting to know the bugs are on the Portuguese route as well. I remember a hospitalero in Pamplona who claimed that they had all been brought into Spain from France. Sounds like they are migrating west!
I think all Caminos were blessed by those little critters this year. Someone said that the climatic conditions were perfect. I was in Miraz hospitalera. ...first time they shut for fumigation...

Like many on this site I'm hooked on the camino and look back with a "rosy glow" on my month on the Frances in 2012 and last year's continuation of the journey to Finisterre and Muxia.

However I'm currently walking from Porto to Santiago on the Portuguese and rediscovering the aspects of camino life that slowly grind you down. You know... the aching, the sleeplessness, the bugs, the heavy pack, the squashed together beds ... all.the stuff that magically disappears once you're home and have had a bath.

This time I'm writing a blog as I walk so that I don't forget! It's at www.highlandhind.wordpress.com
Buen Camino,

My partner and I walked the Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago arriving on 27th September this year, we met lots of lovely people on our walk but we didn't meet any bedbugs. Try it, you'll like it.

Don't forget the Espritual Variant. It was wonderful less than 100 did it last year. The first hostel has six of us and the second I was alone

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back