• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflections after my first Camino

Tedd Cook

Time of past OR future Camino
FRANCES (2016)
Having just completed my first Camino- I wanted to post my thoughts for those preparing or contemplating your pilgrimage. First and foremost- my thanks to all the veterans who gave me advice prior to my start. I was well prepared and had few "surprises". Here's the meat of my reflection- MAKE IT YOUR OWN CAMINO.
You will find a variety of opinions prior to your departure and while you are on the trail. We took the train from Bayonne, walked up to the pilgrim office and registered. I would recommend that you start in SJPP. You will miss the best views if you start in Rouncesvalles. We made reservation and stayed in Orisson the 1st night. We loved this as a 1st day. We met many folks that night that we bumped into along the way. You will need to make a reservation in advance. Pay attention to the trail- we left SJPP late ( due to a lost bag by the airline)and I didn't see the turn and stayed on the road. It added 3K ( roughly ). Poles or no poles? travelling with poles? Many threads on this. We elected to place them in a suitcase and avoid airport security confiscation. as it turns out the poles were in the lost bag,,,so we bought poles in SJPP. My recommendation- you can buy practically everything in SJPP. On the topic of reservations- again you have options. You could make a reservation for every stop. We met several folks who did that. It gives you no flexibility, but you do have less stress. SOme folks had no reservations and walked into town and found a place to stay. DUring our Camino we were in week 2 when we hit a series of local festivals. For 5 consecutive nights we were in a different town with a festival. In one town- Logrono- we were there on the most popular night of the wine festival (Sept 17) and the alburgues/hostals were full. we opted to pay for a hotel room. I was reading a post on this forum and one of the respondees was giving advice which was incorrect. There were no rooms to be found and the overflow either slept on the floor at a church and had to move on to Naverrete. I know the "experts" have good intentions- but you needed to be there first hand to have accurate information. After the week of festivals, things returned to normal, as the tourists didn't book the private alburgues/hostals/pensions. Make it your own camino- don't be afraid to use other facilities than the muni. alburgues. BOOKING. com was a great resource , as many properties are listed. We opted to stay in a double room as I am a snorer and I'm sure that ther others in the dorm rooms were glad to see me go. We would book 3- 5 nights at a time and have the flexibility to change our itinerary. Cell phones- great to have . We went with an international voice plan with free text. We used the phone to make reservations when we couldn't find something on Booking.com. Many facilities book over the phone. iphone was also camera and gps. GPS was needed a few times to find our sleeping facility. Food- the pilgrim meals or menu of the day worked for us. I must admit that one hostal in Mansilla had no menu. " our cook is great and can cook anything". wrong. If they don't have a menu- move on.
My wife injured her knee going downhill. Let me tell you, no matter how great shape you are in - or not- you may feel the pain. Very common to get VERY SORE knees. No matter how hard you train. best advice- be prepared for IT band soreness. Blisters- I didn't get any. again- be prepared. You will use the band aids/tape/mole skin/compeed. backpacking? not everybody does- again- make it your camino. you can get your bag transferred from point A to point B. After my wife got hurt- we opted to use a transfer service to carry her bag. We loaded it up- which reduced my weight - and paid he 5 euros. Laundry- you will be washing . recommendation- bring a elastic line and invest in some cheal plastic clothes pins. Not every joint had a clothes line , so oon a few nights we hung up sox and undies in the room. Dry sox are critical.
We used Brierly's book and planned on 33 days. We walked every day- some days less than 10k and made it in 35 days. day 35 we were past the airport and walked into the cathedral at 9:30 am. Packing- if you are back packing- lots of lists are out there. I paid close attention.we did bring lots of safety pins and used them.
Once we got to Santiago- we opted to check our bags . you cannot take your back pack into the Carthedral.
ATM's were in most towns. you will need cash , as not everybody takes plastic. Again- MAKE IT YOUR CAMINO. there is no one way to go . You will not regret the pain and $ that you invest in your camino. No matter what the reason- it is worth it.
Buen CAMINO TO YOU. i HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found that to avoid knee pain, I had to shorten my stride a lot on the downhills. By doing that the knees are spared. I did not need to tape or wrap my knees at all. It is tempting to walk faster and lengthen the stide as you go down a hill, but the trick is to slow down and shorten the stride to work against gravity. Also to use the poles in front of you to act as a brake, again against gravity.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.