• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflections from an Amigo...

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Hola from Santiago,

It has been a very wet and windy few weeks on the Camino and many, if not all, Peregrinos have battled hard to arrive here.

I had a very poor night's sleep last night (no bed bugs, probably just the rain or the neighbours :roll: ) and I woke up in the middle of the night with many thoughts going through my head about what I had experienced both working in the Pilgrims Office and whilst on the Camino, what others had told me as they arrived and what I had experienced standing watching people in and around Santiago, the office, the Cathedral, the Plaza.

Anyway some of these thoughts started to combine in my head whilst I lay awake and I ended up with a poem that I think represents what I have seen and experienced whilst walking and working with the Camino and Santiago. It may or may not represent your experience but I thought I would share it.

I met a man again today who I had seen arrive at the office about a week ago in a very emotional state and he needed to have a few moments to compose himself before entering the office for his ultimo sello. I bumped into him several times over the next few days but he had then walked out to Finisterre. I stopped him today as I walked home after work and as we chatted he said that he had, had an epiphany every day of his Camino journey. Like myself, I don't think he was religious, at least not overtly and I believe he used the word in the sense of finding pieces of the puzzle and seeing the whole picture rather than in a strictly religious sense. I may be wrong on that but I got what he meant. What is it about this Camino lark? Maybe that is why there is another forum topic about how you explain to others what the Camino is.

Anyway up, here's the poem. I hope you enjoy it.
Mig

Peregrino Tale

The rain is lashing down again
But still the Pilgrims come
Some have walked for 30 days
And rarely seen the sun

Others travelled shorter ways
To reach this mighty place
Tired, strained or battered legs
And blisters slowed their pace

But an overwhelming thought engulfed
Their mind to force them on
The pain will stay just a short while
But the joy will linger on

So to the square, the pilgrim makes
And sits or lies and stares
And feels the pulse of a million hearts
Who have also stood, just there

The tall facade of the Cathedral now
Begins to draw the Pilgrim’s mind
A tear descends from a weary eye
As the memories remind

Of their journey and their sacrifice
And their friends along the way
And the overwhelming comradeship
All combined to give this day

Into the nave for Pilgrims Mass
A time that some rejoice
Others just reflect a while
But all hear an inner voice

The Botafumeiro is hoisted up
And the Cathedral feels a hush
A very special moment
To prolong the Camino rush

But the journey isn’t quite complete
Another place in sight
Across the Praza das Praterias
Then slightly to the right

Just through the Arch and up the stairs
The journey meets its end
That final stamp and acknowledgement
From that last Camino friend

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Miguel,

Your poem is very beautiful.
It so poignantly captures the complex emotions of pilgrims arriving in Santiago.

Thank you for writing it for all of us to share.

Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What can I say but...fantástico Mig! You sure hit the nail on the head as they say. Your poem brought tears to my eyes. I am a repeat offender and hope to do so many times more!

Cheers,
LT
p.s. do you ever get that shot of whiskey from John?

LTfit said:
p.s. do you ever get that shot of whiskey from John?
Not yet, but I have yet to walk with my in-laws! Nevertheless Johnnie has been very generous during my time here and we have spent many a good time together. Purely sorting out Pilgrim matters, I'm sure you'll understand :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well my time now in Santiago is nearly up (I leave tomorrow for Madrid and then home to my family). It has been a wonderful experience to be a part of the Amigo Service and I would publicly like to thank our very own Johnnie Walker for the foresight in seeing the need for this service, the efforts he and his compadres have made in setting things up over the last few months, the support given by both the Irish Society of the Friends of St. James and the CSJ and for the very warmest of welcomes given to the two Amigos in our time here.

There have been Pilgrims welcoming Pilgrims as Hospitaleros on their journey and now Pilgrims are welcoming Pilgrims into Santiago, how about that? Long may it continue!

Saludos
Mig

And soon you will be on the camino again.
I love your poem, so many memories after doing 780 km in mostly rainy and snowy weather on the WETWETWET paths in April!
Buen amino, Mig!

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back