Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflections on a higgledy-piggledy Camino

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
I’m posting this in the Camino Primitivo forum, but I’ve included some comments on the Camino Francés, where our walk began and ended.

Earlier this year, we decided that we’d walk the Camino del Salvador & Primitivo in September/October. As we’re both freelancers, we enjoy marking the dates on our calendars and beginning the countdown. We also liked the challenge of a more mountainous Camino, as it was a good motivator to do more hillwalking at home. Fast-forward to August, and we found ourselves revisiting this plan and considering alternatives. 2016 had been a pretty horrible year, with a number of sad and stressful events. We didn’t feel strong or fit enough for a physically challenging Camino and after much deliberation, we came up with an ‘easier’ plan of walking from Burgos to Santiago.

We set off from Burgos on 21st September. We love the Meseta and it was nice to walk through that familiar landscape, also noticing places and vistas that we had forgotten. However, by the time we reached the pilgrim ‘bottleneck’ of Carrion de los Condes, we knew that this was not the best place for us at this time. We made a spur of the moment decision to leave the busy CF at Sahagun and make our way to Oviedo to walk the Camino Primitivo.

Two days later, we began walking from Oviedo with no particular plan or schedule. We’re very grateful to everyone who gave us advice on guidebooks, apps, stages etc. We bought the Editorial Buen Camino guide in Oviedo and Damian also downloaded the TrekRight app to his phone. Both were great resources. We knew that we’d have plenty of time for the Primitivo as it was shorter than our planned route on the CF, so we were pretty relaxed about it all. However, almost as soon as we’d started we had what felt like a big setback when I came down with a horrible tummy bug. I managed to keep walking for a couple of days, but then needed three rest days and a visit to a doctor. Everything was fine in the end, but it was incredibly frustrating at the time. In hindsight, I should of course have rested and sought medical help a lot sooner – a lesson learnt the hard way!

I don’t think I can say anything about the Primitivo that hasn’t been said before. It’s a spectacularly beautiful Camino and we felt very privileged to be walking in such stunning landscapes. Yes, it was tough at times but every effort was rewarded many times over. It was also the perfect environment for us we tried to come to terms with sad events, particularly the recent and tragic death of Damian’s younger brother. We had time to think and talk, but also times where we just enjoyed the walking and the happy events of each day. We saw no crowds or bed races and we seemed to see the same faces (about 25 or so) at some point each day.

As regards our stages, this is how it worked out:
  1. Oviedo to Grado: about 26kms
  2. Grado to Salas: about 21kms. I was pretty sick at this point and we spent 2 nights here, which included 36 hours in bed for me and the most boring 36 hours of Damian’s life!
  3. Salas to Tineo: about 20kms by taxi to the medical centre (with a great commentary from the taxi driver on what we were missing). 2 nights here too.
  4. Tineo to Campiello: a short 12kms walk as I was still pretty weak. We stayed at Albergue Casa Ricardo – fantastic place with very kind people.
  5. Campiello to Berducedo: 29kms, but I took transport for the first 4 or 5kms and sent my bag ahead. I was 80-90% recovered at that point, so that little bit of help allowed me to walk the Hospitales route, which was definitely one of the highlights.
  6. Berducedo to Grandas de Salime: about 20kms. Another stunningly beautiful day.
  7. Grandas de Salime to A Fonsegrada: about 26kms
  8. A Fonsegrada to O Cadavo: about 26kms
  9. O Cadavo to Lugo: about 30kms
  10. Lugo to Friol, following the green arrows of the Camino Verde: about 29kms. This was another ‘spur of the moment’ decision – we started walking from Lugo with the intention of remaining on the Primitivo, but had some niggling doubts and were tempted by the green arrows. Apart from a scary encounter with six angry dogs, this was another favourite day for us. There are no services whatsoever on this section and we didn’t meet any other pilgrims. However, others subsequently arrived in Friol and nine of us enjoyed warm beds and a very good meal at Casa Benigno that evening.
  11. Friol to Sobrado dos Monxes (where the Camino Verde meets the Camino del Norte): about 25kms
  12. An off-piste walk from Sobrado to Melide: about 17kms
  13. Melide to Salceda: about 25kms
  14. Salceda to Santiago: about 29kms
With the exception of Lugo, we didn’t book ahead for any of our nights on the Primitivo. We stayed mainly in private albergues and pensions and always found a bed when we decided to stop walking.

Needless to say, things got pretty busy when we reached Melide and Santiago was definitely much more crowded that last year (June and September). It was also apparent that more people were booking ahead and using bag transport. We did a few ‘straw-polls’ between Melide and Santiago and backpacking pilgrims were definitely in the minority. This was also very evident on our flight from Santiago to Dublin - most passengers were returning home after a Camino, but the majority seemed to have walked from Sarria to Santiago, using a tour company. The suitcase:backpack ratio was probably about 4:1!

We’ve been home for a couple of days now and we’re in that ‘twilight zone’ between the Camino and normal life. Reflecting on our Camino, we both agree that the Primitivo was the most perfect walk for us. There’s something very special about walking in such beauty, and in the daily rhythm of walking without a pre-defined destination. This was very much a ‘solvitur ambulando’ Camino, in spite of the changes of plan and the little setbacks. Although walking doesn’t negate the sad or stressful events, it definitely helps the process of finding peace and solace. Damian’s compostela states that his walk was in memory of his brother, but that’s just one part of the story. Our Camino was a very happy and life-affirming one and it felt like a wonderful gift from the universe. We’re grateful for all of it and for the little surprises along the way – such as the festivals in Lugo and Santiago.

I’ve a flickr album of our photos, which I haven’t yet got around to captioning. They are in chronological order, from Oviedo to Santiago.

Thanks again to all who answered my questions and to everyone who has so generously shared their experiences of the Primitivo in earlier threads. Having said that, I do of course agree that we should probably be keeping this one a closely guarded secret!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm glad you are better, and enjoyed your trip, and thanks for the wonderful post. I do think, however, we need to get some sort of password to protect posts about the Camino That Shall Not Be Named:)

What happens when you put a sign up saying "Freshly painted - Do NOT touch!" Exactly!!!
So the Camino that shouldn't be named, should simply not be mentioned to avoid that anybody touches it ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for your report Nuala, and glad it all worked out so well, even though "against the run of play" at times!
I am back too from Ruta de Baztan, and I think we both agree, having each bookended our year with Primitivo and Baztan, in different orders, that these are very special routes indeed. I am plunged into work, and travelling again this week, and next week, but will give some possibly helpful notes on my Baztan endeavours shortly.

Oh and thanks for wonderful photos which brought back many happy memories. Quite nostalgic to see a couple of images of MUD!! :)

So glad you were able to get over your stomach bug and enjoyed this route.

First a question: what did the dorctor suggest, just so that we know for if and when it happens to us?

Now, regarding Damian having the longest hours of his life in Salas, if he found Casa Pachon and its menu del dia do not feel sorry for him. Best Spanish meal ever. All 7, yes, seven, courses of it.

And since you did miss a beautiful etapa from Salas to Tineo you now have an excuse to go back.

Also, thank you for posting a link to your pictures. I am off to look at them now.

Finally, my condolences on Damian's little brother's passing. I a, glad you had this Camino to help you both in the healing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your report Nuala, and glad it all worked out so well, even though "against the run of play" at times!
I am back too from Ruta de Baztan, and I think we both agree, having each bookended our year with Primitivo and Baztan, in different orders, that these are very special routes indeed. I am plunged into work, and travelling again this week, and next week, but will give some possibly helpful notes on my Baztan endeavours shortly.

Oh and thanks for wonderful photos which brought back many happy memories. Quite nostalgic to see a couple of images of MUD!! :)

Thanks Tim. In many ways, I think the Baztan could be described as a 'mini-Primitivo'. The forest and mountain walk from Venta san Blas on the Baztan and the Hospitales route on the Primitivo are my joint Camino favourite days.

Thankfully we had no problems with mud, but we saw the places (especially between Lugo and Friol) where it would be a big problem in wetter weather. It brought back memories of the Baztan!

So glad you were able to get over your stomach bug and enjoyed this route.

First a question: what did the dorctor suggest, just so that we know for if and when it happens to us?

Now, regarding Damian having the longest hours of his life in Salas, if he found Casa Pachon and its menu del dia do not feel sorry for him. Best Spanish meal ever. All 7, yes, seven, courses of it.

And since you did miss a beautiful etapa from Salas to Tineo you now have an excuse to go back.

Also, thank you for posting a link to your pictures. I am off to look at them now.

Finally, my condolences on Damian's little brother's passing. I a, glad you had this Camino to help you both in the healing.

Hi @Anemone del Camino, I thought of you many times on the Primitivo as you are one of the people who made me REALLY want to walk this Camino. I so enjoyed your posts last year.

As regards the sickness and the doctor's advice - I suppose he just gave me stern instructions to be a little more patient, plus reassurance that it would pass. I had been sick for almost 5 days at that point, but only visited a farmacia on day 3. I was very weak and dizzy and a little concerned about an interplay with other small health issues. The pharmacist had given me Motilium for the vomiting and Tiorfan (?) tablets for diarrhoea and I was also making sure that I was hydrated etc. After a full examination, the doctor said that nothing else was needed and that I should not walk until I was able to eat again.

I don't think that Damian found Casa Panchon in Salas (If he did, he didn't tell me!). That's another reason to go back again :)

Hello Nuala sorry to hear you had such a tough year. Your post is detailed and informative. I must have been just a week ahead of you, as I left Oviedo on the 19th September and finished in Melide.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Nuala sorry to hear you had such a tough year. Your post is detailed and informative. I must have been just a week ahead of you, as I left Oviedo on the 19th September and finished in Melide.

Thanks Dermot. You're right, you were exactly a week ahead of us. Hope you enjoyed the Primitivo as much as we did.

I enjoyed looking at your photographs - fantastic, as always.

Nuala,

So glad my posts encouraged you to discover this most beautiful route and thank you for sharing the doctor's recommendations.

Regarding Casa Pachon, it's on the main square, in the section after the arch. Lunch is a 7 course meal! Soup, croquetas, pasta, a bean dish, a fried meat, a fish dish, desert and something else I must be missing. Cannot imagine anyone walking on any further that day after having had lunch there. Oh, and of course wine to last over a 7 course meal. A great excuse to go back indeed!

Wonderful to read your post and see your lovely photos ~ especially of the beautiful (oh so challenging at times) Primitivo. Thank you so much!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m posting this in the Camino Primitivo forum, but I’ve included some comments on the Camino Francés, where our walk began and ended.

Earlier this year, we decided that we’d walk the Camino del Salvador & Primitivo in September/October. As we’re both freelancers, we enjoy marking the dates on our calendars and beginning the countdown. We also liked the challenge of a more mountainous Camino, as it was a good motivator to do more hillwalking at home. Fast-forward to August, and we found ourselves revisiting this plan and considering alternatives. 2016 had been a pretty horrible year, with a number of sad and stressful events. We didn’t feel strong or fit enough for a physically challenging Camino and after much deliberation, we came up with an ‘easier’ plan of walking from Burgos to Santiago.

We set off from Burgos on 21st September. We love the Meseta and it was nice to walk through that familiar landscape, also noticing places and vistas that we had forgotten. However, by the time we reached the pilgrim ‘bottleneck’ of Carrion de los Condes, we knew that this was not the best place for us at this time. We made a spur of the moment decision to leave the busy CF at Sahagun and make our way to Oviedo to walk the Camino Primitivo.

Two days later, we began walking from Oviedo with no particular plan or schedule. We’re very grateful to everyone who gave us advice on guidebooks, apps, stages etc. We bought the Editorial Buen Camino guide in Oviedo and Damian also downloaded the TrekRight app to his phone. Both were great resources. We knew that we’d have plenty of time for the Primitivo as it was shorter than our planned route on the CF, so we were pretty relaxed about it all. However, almost as soon as we’d started we had what felt like a big setback when I came down with a horrible tummy bug. I managed to keep walking for a couple of days, but then needed three rest days and a visit to a doctor. Everything was fine in the end, but it was incredibly frustrating at the time. In hindsight, I should of course have rested and sought medical help a lot sooner – a lesson learnt the hard way!

I don’t think I can say anything about the Primitivo that hasn’t been said before. It’s a spectacularly beautiful Camino and we felt very privileged to be walking in such stunning landscapes. Yes, it was tough at times but every effort was rewarded many times over. It was also the perfect environment for us we tried to come to terms with sad events, particularly the recent and tragic death of Damian’s younger brother. We had time to think and talk, but also times where we just enjoyed the walking and the happy events of each day. We saw no crowds or bed races and we seemed to see the same faces (about 25 or so) at some point each day.

2. Grado to Salas: about 21kms. I was pretty sick at this point and we spent 2 nights here, which included 36 hours in bed for me and the most boring 36 hours of Damian’s life!
  3. Salas to Tineo: about 20kms by taxi to the medical centre (with a great commentary from the taxi driver on what we were missing). 2 nights here too.
  4. Tineo to Campiello: a short 12kms walk as I was still pretty weak. We stayed at Albergue Casa Ricardo – fantastic place with very kind people.
  5. Campiello to Berducedo: 29kms, but I took transport for the first 4 or 5kms and sent my bag ahead. I was 80-90% recovered at that point, so that little bit of help allowed me to walk the Hospitales route, which was definitely one of the highlights.
  6. Berducedo to Grandas de Salime: about 20kms. Another stunningly beautiful day.
  10. Lugo to Friol, following the green arrows of the Camino Verde: about 29kms. This was another ‘spur of the moment’ decision – we started walking from Lugo with the intention of remaining on the Primitivo, but had some niggling doubts and were tempted by the green arrows. Apart from a scary encounter with six angry dogs, this was another favourite day for us. There are no services whatsoever on this section and we didn’t meet any other pilgrims. However, others subsequently arrived in Friol and nine of us enjoyed warm beds and a very good meal at Casa Benigno that evening.
  11. Friol to Sobrado dos Monxes (where the Camino Verde meets the Camino del Norte): about 25kms
With the exception of Lugo, we didn’t book ahead for any of our nights on the Primitivo. We stayed mainly in private albergues and pensions and always found a bed when we decided to stop walking.

Needless to say, things got pretty busy when we reached Melide and Santiago was definitely much more crowded that last year (June and September). It was also apparent that more people were booking ahead and using bag transport. We did a few ‘straw-polls’ between Melide and Santiago and backpacking pilgrims were definitely in the minority. This was also very evident on our flight from Santiago to Dublin - most passengers were returning home after a Camino, but the majority seemed to have walked from Sarria to Santiago, using a tour company. The suitcase:backpack ratio was probably about 4:1!

We’ve been home for a couple of days now and we’re in that ‘twilight zone’ between the Camino and normal life. Reflecting on our Camino, we both agree that the Primitivo was the most perfect walk for us. There’s something very special about walking in such beauty, and in the daily rhythm of walking without a pre-defined destination. This was very much a ‘solvitur ambulando’ Camino, in spite of the changes of plan and the little setbacks. Although walking doesn’t negate the sad or stressful events, it definitely helps the process of finding peace and solace. Damian’s compostela states that his walk was in memory of his brother, but that’s just one part of the story. Our Camino was a very happy and life-affirming one and it felt like a wonderful gift from the universe. We’re grateful for all of it and for the little surprises along the way – such as the festivals in Lugo and Santiago.

I’ve a flickr album of our photos, which I haven’t yet got around to captioning. They are in chronological order, from Oviedo to Santiago.

Thanks again to all who answered my questions and to everyone who has so generously shared their experiences of the Primitivo in earlier threads. Having said that, I do of course agree that we should probably be keeping this one a closely guarded secret!

Sorry to hear you had the stomach bug - it floored me too. I must have been just a day or two behind you and was struck down in Campiello - I was lucky that my partner wasn't walking and had the car - he took me to Tineo to the Medical Centre there where I got treatment and medication, they really were most sympathetic and said that they knew of many others with the virus. I didn't walk after that as it was the high level part to Hospital (!!) so having postponed it from May 2016 because Bill had pneumonia, I have postponed it again till September next year .. from your account and photos it (the unmentionable camino!) really is the one not to miss! Glad to hear that you reached Santiago and had such a positive healing time.

Sorry to hear you had the stomach bug - it floored me too. I must have been just a day or two behind you and was struck down in Campiello - I was lucky that my partner wasn't walking and had the car - he took me to Tineo to the Medical Centre there where I got treatment and medication, they really were most sympathetic and said that they knew of many others with the virus. I didn't walk after that as it was the high level part to Hospital (!!) so having postponed it from May 2016 because Bill had pneumonia, I have postponed it again till September next year .. from your account and photos it (the unmentionable camino!) really is the one not to miss! Glad to hear that you reached Santiago and had such a positive healing time.

Gosh, you've both been very unlucky with this Camino! Sorry that you weren't able to continue - I'm sure that was a big disappointment. Hopefully all will go according to plan for you next year. It really is a very beautiful Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back