• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflections on a summer Vdlp (cont'd Sevilla Here I Come)

LTfit

Veteran Member
It has taken me longer than expected to get back to you guys!

First of all thanks all for your get well wishes (Lovingkindness, Grilly, Melanie, Janet and Skilsaw)! Even if we do not know each other personally, I feel a kindredship to all of you !

Anna-Marie: how are you doing now that you have been back for a while. I haven't read your blog since cooped up in the hospital so need to check it out. MANY THANKS for you list of aubergues. I had my walking companion pull it out of the outside back pocket of my backpack on a daily basis!

Laurie: your knowledge and wealth of experience was of great assistance. I read through your posts prior to leaving. What I didn't do is write down internet locations...indeed only e-mailed 2x since aubergues lacked internet.

Ria: waar ben je nu??? Ik dacht dat je de 2e helft van de Via de la Plata wou doen...wat zie ik hier, dat je de Levante aan het lopen bent?!?! Wanneer ben je uiteindelijke in Zamora aangekomen (waarschijnlijk toen ik in het ziekenhuis lag!)?

I hope that this information doesn't arrive too late for Grilly or others leaving for the VdlP.

My post is VERY LONG and so will post the general information/impressions now and details about the various stages within the next day or two (before Tuesday as that is D-Day - or rather O-day=Operation

Reflections on a summer VdlP

Although my Camino ended in an extremely bizarre and quite unfortunate manner, this does not detract from a great 3 weeks out on the VdlP.

I will start at the beginning:
Flew into Sevilla from Amsterdam and once touched ground the heat of Sevilla was omnipresent. An airport bus takes you downtown. Can’t remember the exact times but it runs 2x per hour.
As the VdlP officially starts at the Cathedral this would be my first stop. Was surprised to see Starbucks on almost every corner and must admit that I too ducked in to have a lovely ice coffee.
I was anxious to find the first fleche and/or Camino de Santigo tile and so did not visit the Cathedral at that time (big mistake as it was closed by 4 p.m., cost: E8.00).

The Camino trail out of the city is fairly easy to following. I did it twice from the cathedral and found about 5 more flechas the second time around! It leads you across the rĂ­o Guadalquirvir toTriana which was originally a Gitano barrio and is famous for its tiles. I had booked a night at the Backpackers Hostel Triana which was just perfect. I had a whole room of 3 bunk-beds to myself. It is clean, has airco, free internet and breakfast for E12. Credenciales can be purchased for E2. Found out later that day that G. the Italian that would be my walking buddy for the next 3 weeks was also staying there.

First observation: Some may fry on the VdlP in the summer, I just got slightly toasted haha! Heat at 8 p.m. was blasting, temperatures do not drop in the evening in Andalucía and parts of Extremadura. As one local said. It is “extrema y “dura”!

Second: There is no one in the streets in the afternoon (unless of course you are in larger cities as Mérida, Zafra, etc. – not a soul!

Third: Due to the extreme condtions in Andalucia, most stores are closed in the afternoon. Be careful and plan ahead so you don’t get caught without supplies. There is usually an apothecary/farmacy open.

Fourth: take a 2 L hydration pack and fill with either water or a combination of water and Aquarius. My buddy bought 1 ½ L bottles. I preferred water and 1-2 cans of Aquarius. Fill your pack and put it and bottles in the fridge the night before.
. It is so bizarre but in the 3 weeks that I was walking I did not once have to pee along the road. I consumed an average of 2-3 L during the walk and continued to drink afterwards. THIS IS A MUST. Even at that my urine was dark orange most of the time.

Fifth: watch out for signs of exhaustion. Regulate blood sugar and exertion. Generally speaking it is beter to eat often but small amounts. It took me a few days to adjust. I am not a big eater and in intense heat I loose my appetite. That first week and a half I lived on gazpacho or ensalada mixta for lunch. I had great difficulty eating breakfast and often only had ½ piece of bread and tea. As a result on 2 occasions I felt faint and had to stop, rest and slowly eat some dried fruit. After that my body adjusted and on rest stops I ate (dried)fruit.
Sixth: having some Spanish knowledge is not only helpful but will enhance your Camino experience. The majority of the pelegrinos/bicigrinos on the VdlP in July were Spanish. Given the very small group of people at any one time in an aubergue, it might get lonely not being able to communicate with others. Of course hands of feet work but this might get tiring after a while.

Seventh: distance beween towns, especially in the beginning, is large- unlike on the Camino Francés. You often have to walk 16-20 km before coming across a bar/restaurant and even if you hit a town, there is no guarantee that there is a café! This is especially true during the first week.

On a positive note: very helpful, friendly people. I lost my hat on my way to Guillena and I received lots of assistance. When I asked the farmacist where I should go she said “espera” , went in back and came back with a broad-rimmed beach hat! I couldn’t imagine wearing it but also did not want to appear unappreciative so said thanks. A woman had been waiting in line and said that she would take to me a store she thought would be open. So I hopped in and indeed found one of those stores that I would so often see during my Camino. The store carried everything and it was packed from the floor to the ceiling: bras next to toothbrushes and hammers next to candy. What a trip! For E3.50 I got a cap which would serve me well.

Daily routine was to walk (started at around 6 or if café was open first ate breakfast then set off), find aubergue, shower, wash clothes (or after lunch if late), lunch, siesta, visit town, drink with a snack then off to bed. My walking buddy and I found that having a good, sit down lunch was sufficient and that a bier, shandy or the like and olives were sufficient until the next morning. We usually took (dried) fruit for along the way.

The first 2 stages are short. This is a good thing as this gives your body time to acclimate to the heat. I like hot weather but this is something that I had never experienced before (summers in Florida – yes, Arizona in the summer- yes). It is not just because the heat was so intense but also because temps do not subside late afternoon or evening at least in Andalucía and Extremadura.

Meals: breakfast was pan tostada and a café or a cup of tea E2,50. Lunch was at around 3 (much later than 4 you will not get served). This was in a restaurant (in Spain a separate room so not in the café ). Although they were not called a Pilgrim’s menu everywhere you could find a menu del día without a problem. First 2 weeks I usually had a salad or gazpacho for around E5.

Sorry so long but didn't want to leave out anything!

Buen Camino to all!!!

Cheers,
LT

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, LT,
Know that you've got lots of strong positive cyber-vibes coming your way from many parts of the globe as you get ready for your surgery. You'll be in our thoughts. And, though I apparently didn't have as serious an injury as you, my first attempt to walk from Sevilla ended in Merida when my heel just wouldn't let me put another ounce of weight on it. After a sad trip home, a few doctor's visits, new orthotics made of silicone instead of hard plastic, and a lot of anticipation and worrying, the next year I was back in Sevilla and made it to Muxia without a tinge of heel pain. My husband later told me that he feared for my mental health in my immediate post-camino blues, and was very glad when I was finally able to focus on trying again. I hope that your results will be similar, and I fully empathize with how the sense of disappointment is so strong at the beginning, and then begins to fade into a rekindled determination and anticipation as you gear up for the second attempt. This forum provides great support as well.

And thanks for your detailed post. For someone like me, who only walked the Vdlp in the spring, it is really interesting to see how you coped and enjoyed. I look forward to reading more.
All the best to you, Laurie

LT, so glad you're feeling well enough to post.

After trying the VDLP in June, I'll never do that again.
For me it was a foolish decision.
I definitely want to finish what I started, but in one of the 3 other seasons.. never again summer!

Has anyone on the forum walked this route in winter?

I have a couple of comments to make.
I'm not sure if eating dried fruit is the best idea when it is this hot.
Your body needs to water to function and will use up water to reconstitute and digest the fruit.
This might be why your urine was so dark, even though you were drinking plenty. I think it might be better to eat foods that contain water and are salty - like olives maybe?

I can't imagine carrying the weight of "enough" water in June.
Fountains were so few and far between and it was dangerously hot.
A person insisting on traveling this route in summer might consider taking a long some type of lightweight water filtering system because there WERE troughs for cattle and horses that could have been used if the water could have been filtered.

For anyone who has never walked a Camino, and who might be considering this route during summer, I seriously suggest you think twice unless you are either very young or very fit.

In the end, we're all different, with different levels of strength.
Since I grew up in a place where 105 summers were common, and sinced I'd walked the Frances, I thought I'd be ok on the VDLP.
Big mistake.
I only made it about 1/3 of the way before changing routes.

But it was beautiful, even in its brutal heat, and the locals were kind, and I'm looking forward to trying again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
LT, thank you so much for your reflections. I had thought of the dry fruits myself because we had them on the Camino Frances and they work well. Annie's comment on the need for water makes sense so we'll see.
I like your idea of mixing water and Aquarius. Placing them in the fridge as well.

As to Annie's comment on being young and well trained for doing VDLP in the summer, I cannot say this is the case of my husband and myself. We are just thinking of cutting in half every stage where that's possible. So we'll see how we're faring.

Any additional comments will be truly welcome. I have read, I think, pretty much all that was recommended to me.

Thanks again, claire

Great to hear from you Laurie and Annie and the 'positive healing energy' (as my acupuncture teacher/colleague calls it) is being received from all parts of the globe.

I appreciated your insights and comments Laurie - specially coming from someone who experienced the disappointment of ending a Camino abruptly. What surprises me is how calm I have actually been since returning to The Netherlands. All my friends and colleagues have also commented that I am so positive given the circumstances.

I believe this is all possible because I am in daily contact with my walking buddy G.(met in Guillena at the end of stage 1). I sms in the morning before he sets off and he sms's in the afternoon when he gets in. We usually sms again (via iphone a bit faster and efficient) in the evening after the siesta and/or before he goes to bed. This keeps the Camino "alive" for me. We had a "telephone date" when he arrived in Santiago and I attempted to see him on the webcam without success.
He was in Muxia yesterday (walked for 7 hours in the rain) and ends his Camino today in Finisterra. This will in a way also represent closure for me. This scares me a bit as I believe the disappointment you felt Laurie will only then hit me - for sure when he returns home on Friday and I miss our daily contact.

But I am getting ahead of myself. Now to concentrate on that at hand...prepare today for tomorrow's surgery!

I hope to post the rest Grilly but might not get that far today/night.

Cheers and Buen Camino to all whatever Camino you may be on.

LT

LTfit said:
But I am getting ahead of myself. Now to concentrate on that at hand...prepare today for tomorrow's surgery!

I hope to post the rest Grilly but might not get that far today/night.

Cheers and Buen Camino to all whatever Camino you may be on.

LT

I join the prayers of St James and of all the pilgrims from the past and the present for your surgery tomorrow, LT.
Blessings, claire

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
LTfit said:
Anna-Marie: how are you doing now that you have been back for a while. I haven't read your blog since cooped up in the hospital so need to check it out. MANY THANKS for you list of aubergues. I had my walking companion pull it out of the outside back pocket of my backpack on a daily basis!

Sorry I've taken so long to reply--I've been away from here for a while. I'm so glad my albergue list was helpful.

It was great reading about your experiences. I can't imagine walking in all that heat. I'm glad you had a good few weeks, and I hope your surgery went really well!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back