• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflections on the Camino Del Salvador

StuartM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
As promised I thought I'd do a reflections on the route. I don't want to do a full trip report, more a look back at things I liked, tips or would maybe do different.

First off... wow! I can't recall such amazing scenery in the space of so few days. It really was incredible, there aren't enough superlatives to describe it. It is absolutely stunning! I think my absolute favourite stretch was the walk up to Ender's cross. Lovely.

The sense of achievement is amazing too. You really feel like you've done something. Part of the reason I was doing it was to raise money for the charity War Child which is very close to my heart (raised £400 or about $600) and I felt like I earned every penny.

So in no real order, thoughts as they come to me...

Physical fitness... don't underestimate it. I trained for a couple of months beforehand and I still felt like I was really pushing myself. This is a tough route. Be comfortable in your boots and pack too. The El Salvador will make you suffer in places.

Mountain safety... These are real mountains, respect them. I know a lot of folk want to escape technology and the daily grind but take a phone. You don't have to use it but it's basic mountain safety to let someone know when you are leaving, route, time of arrival and when you're safe. A couple of text messages is all it takes. On the Frances if you sit down for ten minutes someone will pass, here it might be a day or even a week. Be prepared for weather too, even in August it was cold at night. Even during the day at altitude it could be very cold especially with the wind.

Schedule... I set off intending to do the four day schedule. Think carefully if that is also your plan. Day 1 means a very long walk and if you get behind it becomes very hard to make the time back. I did a steady 5km/h on the Frances regardless of terrain, I was probably doing 3.5km/h here. The terrain is also tough. As an example, Poladura de la Tercia to Pajares is only something like 16km but it took me from 8.30 to 4.30 to do it. It is slow country to move through. The five or even six day schedule is much more realistic.

Phones... as mentioned, good for safety out here. But another reason, a few albergues and some hotels need you to either phone ahead or call on arrival to get them opened up. The one in Pajares is open as it is a community centre too but Marisa, the hospitalera, wants you to call on arrival. Similarly, a good bit of Spanish is probably an idea too.

Electricity... never short of electric sockets or charging points

Solitude... you'll have it in spades. I saw one other pilgrim. The hospitalero in Poladura said the most he had ever seen was four or five at one time.

Food... eat when you get the opportunity. I cannot stress that enough. There aren't many shops, fewer restaurants and the openeing hours vs. position on route often puts them in siesta time. If you see food, buy it. If you see a restaurant open, eat. Lunch is a lot more reliable than dinner too, a lot of the restaurants I saw were shut at night. I ended up eating irregularly on the first couple of days and never recovered, you really do draw deep on your reserves so food becomes very essential. At the last couple of stages I was really exhausted. Carry some emergency rations, like a packet of microwave pasta or something. You will crave carbs like they were a drug!

Water... it's everywhere. It was the thing that concerned me most in my planning but there are fountains in nearly every town. There are also natural springs in the mountains. On the way into Pajares a local showed me a beautiful natural spring just off the track... best water I've tasted. Drink lots of it too!

Albergues... a lot more reliable than hotels. Maybe it was just the wrong time of year but a lot of the hotels in the early stages were shut. The one in La Robla was closed, the Posada del Embrujo was as well, the Posada Real in Pajares too and a few others. The albergues weren't. The one in Poladura de la Tercia was surprisingly welcoming, the guides describe it as scruffy (OK, it is a bit) but it's a donativo and very cosy. The one in Pajares does an excellent pilgrim meal for 9E a person, including wine/beer.

Clothing... I'd recommend long trousers and long sleeves. A lot of the trails are heavily overgrown with gorse and brambles which can be painful going.

First aid kit... carry one. If you get stuck on the mountains then it's a long time before you see anyone else. And if you're like me then a couple of ibuprofen was the only way to get any sleep as I hurt so much.

Route finding... generally very good but there were a couple of spots that I did resort to the bundle of maps I brought. There are places that you need to pay close attention to the guide and the markings.

Maps... see above. I found them quite reassuring in the mountains along with a compass. If the weather closed in and the visibility got bad then I can imagine really resorting to map & compass work. Some sections wouldn't be easy (or downright dangerous) in mist or low cloud.

Guides... I used the CSJ guide which Laurie & Rebekah wrote along with this one: http://caminodelsalvador.net/?wpfb_dl=10

They both complement each other very well. The CSJ guide is better for written descriptions but the other one has pictures of every major feature along the route which is good too. The latter is long (56 pages) but it prints OK if you do it 4 pages per sheet.

I also used the Wise Pilgrim website to compile a spreadsheet showing distances between towns, fountains, shops, etc.

The final stage... I might offend the purists but this is my honest view. Skip it. Finish up in Pola de Lena, walk into Ujo the next day to see the nice pre-romanesque church (definitely worth a visit) then walk back to the station and get the train to Oviedo. The final stage is probably the toughest of them all... however I didn't think it had any of the rewards. It's mostly on asphalt with a few off-road diversions. Pola de Lena to Ujo is on road with some hair-raising bends, Ujo to Mieres is 7km of asphalt track along the river (mind numbing & feet killing), Mieres to Olloniego is just a painful uphill slog for most of it all on roads and Olloniego to Oviedo is just a hell of roads & rough, overgrown tracks. The scenery is nice in places but very heavily industrialised generally. I just found it incredibly hard going at the end, I hit it tired to begin with and it just turned into a real slog, it's all up & down, nearly all asphalt. There was nothing after Ujo that I can't think I'd be sorry to miss. You could break it up with a stay in Mieres but the albergue looks to be in a run down area and besides, the trek from Mieres is the worst part. Good to do it for completeness but if I was doing it again then I'd definitely skip this stage.

Oviedo... don't be tempted into the tours that advertise admission to the Camara Santa. The ones I saw were so heavily subscribed that a lot of the tourists didn't actually get into the actual relic chamber and you only get a couple of minutes there. In between tours you get the place to yourself.

Here's where I join Laurie's tag team... miss the pre-romanesque sites at your peril! Naranco is absolutely stunning, I can't think of many places that I've been that compare. It really is a world class site. And San Julian de los Prados (Santuyanno)... I walked round it with my jaw hanging open for 30 minutes. The murals are one of the most beautiful pieces of art you'll see anywhere. Seriously, if you visit Oviedo and miss any of these places it is a real shame. I would actually forego the cathedral in favour of them. Stunning. Naranco is about a 30 min walk from the station, San Julian not far from the bottom of Cider Street.

El Fontan market... if you are there on a Saturday then it is a great atmosphere. The restaurant above the market hall is really good and really cheap for a menu del dia of that quality. The Pota Asturiana is worth it alone.

The Turin Shroud exhibition... I don't know how much longer it is there for, I believe it leaves this month and moves on elsewhere. If it happens to be still there (or you see it elsewhere in Spain) then it's worth the visit. It was pricey to get in and at first looked a bit rubbish but it is very engaging, very well done, well researched and I learned a lot (not just about The Shroud). A word of warning, it is extremely graphic and gory, from pictures of real crucifixions done with real bodies as experiments to reconstructions of the body shown on the Shroud in every detail. Very bloody, not one to take the kids to.

All in all, a fantastic trip but one for the self-sufficient and self-confident (you need to be happy with your own company in some pretty remote places).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excellent review! I'm not sure if my heart is beating faster from fear or thrill of the anticipation! I tried dehydrating curries recently with a view to taking them along for this stretch - sounds like it's an idea worth pursuing (a kilo of meat plus other ingredients reduces to 300g and then reconstitutes beautifully).
Did you notice if there were blankets in the albergues? I'm wobbling around whether to take sleeping bags or not (saving 1.1kg means being able to carry more food) We will have silk liners, thermals and fleece jackets, but if you told me it was cold (which you have) and there were no blankets, I'd opt for warmth.

Thank you Stuart! That's very helpful indeed. Perfect.:)
I suspected food would be difficult, as you mentioned that earlier, that you hadn't eaten properly.
I have now managed to press down the weight of my pack to 4,5 kg, so I can pack lots of picnic food.
Good to know there's plenty of water.

I'm also thinking about doing the four day schedule. But will see how the first day is going, and also if I'm fortunate to get some company along the way. So may change that to five days. But I rather walk all day, I hate to just sit and do nothing while my clothes are drying.

I wonder if you bought the Wise pilgrim Salvador app, and if you did, was it worth the money?
And I also wonder where you found the maps?
Thank you again. It's comforting to know someone was out there walking just before me. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Stuart,
Good review.
About the tough route: we are not professional walkers. We walk like 15km every one or two months. But we took our time to do it. This camino had some difficult parts during 3 days but it was still possible. If the weather is good, it's not dangerous. On some parts, you have to be more careful. But I agree, if you want to do it in 4 days, you need to train hard.

About food: We took a giant tupperware with us to survive the 48h of no-shop-moment (Pola de Gordon till Campomanes) It was full of breath, ham and cheese. It took a lot of space but it was very comfortable.
I agree that you have to take your time to do the Salvador. We did it in 7 days. The last day we did was Mieres-Oviedo. I even had the plan to split this stage till Olloniego but there was no hotel in this place. Here I don't agree to take a train to skip this stage. We enjoyed the landscape and found similarities with the Camino Frances entering Galicia. The presence of the eucalyptus tree,
the mountain El Padrun versus the mountain O Cebreiro, Monte del Gozo versus the last mountain at Picullanza. The first spot of the cathedral at the last small mountain. The difficulties to stay on the good road in the centre of Oviedo because there were no more yellow arrows, only a few shells sometimes hard to find.
Campomanes-Mieres is flat and maybe boring. But we enjoyed it because we had a hard time between Pajares-Campomanes. On this part, we finally could walk at a reasonable speed.
The three hotels you mentioned were also closed for us. We called them and they opened 30-45 minutes later.

Last edited:
Thanks Stuart! Good short insight. Hope I'll use some of it next year...

B.

Blankets... Yes there were blankets in both the albergues I stayed in. There were also electric heaters that could be used too. I took a sleeping bag because I was planning to camp more, I only actually used the tent once. I think if there hadn't been another pilgrim on the trail I'd probably have slept in my tent more.

Wise Pilgrim guide... No I never bothered, the info on water was really all I wanted.

Maps... You can download 1:50000 maps for free off the IGN website. Use Paint or Photoshop or something to cut down the sections you need and print out. I did screen prints from the 1:25000 maps on the Sigpac website for the entire route printed on A2 sheets.

I envy your Tupperware box, Gunnar! I would have paid a lot of money for that! Same for some curry :) People along the route are very kind though. Someone stopped me and gave me bread when walking out of Leon, an old lady in Poladura donated some food and wine into the albergue. They are a lot friendlier here I thought.

I think with the last stage I was just too tired for it. I should really have split it or rested an extra day in Pola de Lena. 36km didnt seem that bad on the map but it was hard on the feet with so much road. If I did it again and got behind then it is the one stage I'd definitely skip.

You're right about the markings going into Oviedo. Even where there are scallop shells in the pavement there are one or two pointed the wrong way.

Good advice about the hotels. I never thought to call when I was there. I didnt want to call ahead in case I didn't make it or wanted to keep going.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Stuart, for backing me up on the "pre-romanesque gushing." I wonder if you were equally moved by Santa Cristina de Lena, a few kms after Campomanes? I've been by it twice, once it was closed and I got to enjoy the outside. Then in 2011 the inside was open but the outside was covered in scaffolding. Another reason to go back to the Salvador -- so I can see it without scaffolding AND go inside on the same visit!

I appreciate your observations about the Pola de Lena to Oviedo stretch. It is long and there is a lot of asphalt. But in the final analysis I guess I agree with Gunnar that there are some really nice parts of it, and I just couldn't give up walking into Oviedo. I assume you could also keep going on from Ujo to Mieres along the river (I am just as ardent about avoiding asphalt as I am about pre-romanesque architecture, and I found that I could usually walk on a dirt path alongside the cement river path, and this worked wonders on my feet). And once in Mieres, or even on to Olloniego (which would give you the nice ascent to Padrun) you have options to hop on transport. So there are many non-walking options for that last stage. It's good to have a range of opinions and options I think.

One tip that Gunnar gave me for the guide was that if you are doing shorter stages and don't mind paying for private accommodation, it makes a lot of sense to walk Pajares to Campomanes, Campomanes to Mieres, and then Mieres into Oviedo. That means you stop before Pola de Lena one day and go beyond Pola de Lena the next day, and that makes that last day into Oviedo much shorter. Because Pola de Lena to Oviedo is a LONG day, but Pola de Lena to Mieres just seems too short.

Buen camino, hope that our long-winded discussions are tempting others to try this fabulous route! Laurie

Great to read your recap Stewart - especially for those of us contemplating this Camino. You also brought up a few points that I would not have thought of such as wearing long pants and shirts. As I always walk in the summer these items have never been in my kit. Do other veterans of the Salvador agree with this observation? It sounds very tempting and I would love to combine it with the Primitivo but my only reservation is that I would be walking it alone. The alone part is not an issue but rather the fact that it is in the mountains with few to no other pilgrims around.

I agree about the long sleeves and pants. I know the Gear Heads here think denim is from the devil, but the first time I did the Salvador I wore blue jeans. And man was I glad to have em!
So good to see this trail is getting some attention, and it is affirming to see others find it tough and demanding and deserving of Big Respect. It's one of my favorite caminos of all.. because it offers a little of everything!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great to read your recap Stewart - especially for those of us contemplating this Camino. You also brought up a few points that I would not have thought of such as wearing long pants and shirts. As I always walk in the summer these items have never been in my kit. Do other veterans of the Salvador agree with this observation? It sounds very tempting and I would love to combine it with the Primitivo but my only reservation is that I would be walking it alone. The alone part is not an issue but rather the fact that it is in the mountains with few to no other pilgrims around.

Hi, LTfit,
I think that some of Gunnar's photos confirm that there are some pretty narrow untended pathways. I think they are mainly between Pajares and Campomanes, particularly before Llanos de Someron. See his pictures 57 and 58. This stretch was pretty overgrown the last time I walked as well. I always walk in long pants and long sleeve shirts (skin cancer in my past) anyway, but for those of you used to the feeling of bare limbs, this might be a challenge.
I don't think Stuart met another pilgrim, but Gunnar met several, so I think it's still hit or miss as far as company goes. On my last Salvador, in June 2012, I never saw another person either. But I have to think that the numbers are growing pretty steadily, so who knows what next year will be.

Stuart, do you remember exactly where you had to use your maps? Thanks, Laurie

One that springs to mind is El Canto de Tusa. You do that ascent after the cross up to the ridge where you see Busdongo? Just before there is a string of yellow markers curving off round to the left and markers going straight on. Clear when you actually get up close (the ones going left are Engas pipeline markers) but from a distance I thought I'd get the map & compass out and just check. I'm used to walking with a map & compass in my pocket anyway. There were a few other places, it was mostly for confirmation/double check the route was right.

Other places were entering/leaving towns as sometimes the markings and routes aren't obvious. For example I got lost coming out of Cabanillas and having a map made backtracking a bit easier. I also like having maps so I know what my escape route is in the hills if the weather turns or for if I fancy a little diversion off route (as I did for the one night I camped).

You could get by without them but it just goes against the grain to go into the mountains without both maps & compass. I once had a very entertaining 18km hike across the Scottish highlands in a blizzard through not carrying maps in the hills so I'm maybe a bit conservative. Don't get me wrong, the waymarking is great, I just like being able to double check it especially when alone.

Santa Cristina was lovely too. It is a wonderful location as well, if I recall right the visitor centre at Naranco said it was built on a former pagan sacred site. Either way it is a lovely spot. I only got to peek through the door but the stark interior looked very nice. Very atmospheric.

I saw only one other pilgrim on my trip. But when I was in Oviedo there was a group of maybe 20 that had walked from Cabanillas just a day behind me. It was the 400th anniversary of the pilgrim confraternity there and they were walking the Salvador to celebrate it (if I read their tshirts right). Weird thinking that that huge group was behind me and never knew.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've been trying to find the maps on the ign website but I just can't find them. The closest I've been is finding a list of the maps of the area but there's no way to open the actual map or download them.
Maybe their website isn't iPad compatible.
Actually I suspect it's easier to find the way in the mountains irl than finding maps on the ign website.;)
So will have to do with my iPhone and google maps.

I was out walking with full pack yesterday and it felt good.
I'm leaving in less than a week.:)

An easier way is to Google: visor sigpac and it should come up with the interactive map site.

The map download from ign was a bit complicated to find. If I get a chance today I'll do a step by step.

Thank you Stuart, that would help a lot!
Am looking forward to it. That website makes me frustrated.
But don't hurry, do it when you can. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stuart, you are a hero. THANK YOU!!!
Believe it or not, I did it! I now got a map here of the first part. :cool:
Looking good!
That really was the website from hell. And I could not download the map in safari so had to start my ancient laptop which is "Go and make a cup of tea while its loading the website"-slow. Phew.
Thanks again! Got to celebrate this! :)

About the long trousers.
Yes, Laurie is right: before LLanos de Someron. Also after Fresnedo on the remote track.
Around Ender's cross (pic 37) there are some plants (I don't know the name) which are not flexible at all and will make scratches.

About consulting maps, in my case the navigator:
a) After the bridge in Pola de Gordon. You can see the brown wooden marker in Google Street View (Calle Capitán Lozano # Paseo El Arenal between the bin and the bench) . The brown marker points left and we followed the road by the river. But the road was blocked further. Maybe we missed a marker after 50m a the first street to the right going to the Calle la Constitución (Google Street view shows a marker in that street).
b) At Santa Cristina: I went up "to count the corners". Esmine stayed down. In fact after Santa Cristina, do you have to come down (we did) and continue or is there on top a direct path to the old train station?
c) Almost at the end: after Olloniego going up on the remote path arriving at the recreative place called Centro Rego. After a few hundred meters, there is again a small remote section at the right side. We skipped that one and continued on the (deserted) road. The navigator confirmed this small bypass.

Thanks for the answers guys. I am not 100% set on my plans as many other lovely ideas may come up between now and next summer. The Aragónes calls, the Levante and who knows I might just walk the Via de la Plata all over again! But I must say the the lush mountains are inviting!

I really enjoyed this route.

I agree as far as wearing long sleeves and pants.

I did not find food a problem. There are two towns along the way Cabanillas and Pola de la Tercia, where there are no eating facilities. Cabanillas is 16km's from Leon, small town (20?) nice Albergue, no food. I was lucky one of the town folk came down and brought me to her house for dinner. Pola de la Tercia, no food, terrible Albergue but there is a Casa rural in the guide. If you plan to stop here, I would call and make a reservation.

I did not encounter any other Pilgrims on my walk. I walked in April it was cold and lots of snow drifts in the passes.

I liked the whole route with the exception of the first 7km's. There was a lot of road walking from Mieres to Oviedo. That said, there was some beautiful scenery. There are a couple of short steep sections but not as difficult as Buiza to Pola de Lena, imo. I would not recommend missing this section.

Finally, I had no problems with the way-marking. Four days seems to fast for this route. I would recommend a five or six days walk, dependent on weather.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hola everyone,
I wonder if any of you stayed in Buiza? It seems like most people pass it, or just take a look inside the albergue, and then continue to the next stop.
I wonder if I shall stay there. If I stay in Pola de Gordon, then I must do the 5 km to Buiza in the morning instead.
If I go to Buiza and if its not open or something, I'm in trouble. As there will be to late to go to the next town. And too long to walk in one day.
Buen camino
Susanna

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Susanna,

I think that despite Canuck's opinion, there are many good reasons to plan your stages on the Salvador. You will be walking in mountainous, remote territory, and you just don't have the flexibility you do on other Caminos. As you point out, if you can't stay in Buiza (no pension, no restaurants, just an albergue), you will have to either walk back 5 kms to Pola de Gordon or carry on another 10 through a remote mountainous section to Poladura de la Tercia.

Anyway, back to your question. When I last walked past the albergue in Buiza, they were doing work on it. This was summer 2012. It is in an old school building and it looked quite decent to me. I think the main thing with Buiza is to make sure you bring food and all you will need from Pola de Gordon. I also don't know about blankets. I have not heard bad reports about Buiza, so if that's how the stage makes the most sense, I would go for it. Maybe either Stuart or Joe stayed here. I'm pretty sure Gunnar did not.

Buen camino, not too many days now! Laurie

Thank you Laurie.
Yes I remember reading that you had seen work going on there. So hopefully it will look brand new. ;)
I think it would be easier if I tried to walk to Buiza the first day, as it is flat and easy walking.
Then I would not have to walk so long the next day, when I'm going over the mountain.
Am hoping someone will turn up and say they've been to Buiza and it was great.:)
Three days to go and then I'm off.

Hello Laurie and Susanna,

No, we didn't stay in Buiza. Several reasons.
- La Robla - Pola De Gordon was Esmine's first walk. It was only 10km and easy to do.
- Pola de Gordon is the last place where there are shops.
- Pola De Gordon - Buiza is something like 5km and walks very easy. We did it in one hour. It was a nice "warming up" before the first mountain walk. In fact Buiza - Poladura de Tercia isn't too difficult comparing with the next stage. So if you would like to have the comfort of shops & bars around you, you could conside to walk from Pola DG till Poladura DT.

In fact, there is something that I didn't mention earlier. That's to check where Sunday will be in your camino. Because on Sunday, shops are closed, maybe a little bit open in the morning. We planned to start El Salvador on Sunday. Because there are no shops between León and La Robla (except in the early beginning).

Thank you Gunnar.
Actually (shall I confess this?) I was thinking of doing Leon -Buiza the first day. ;)
Or maybe Leon - Pola de Gordon.
And Buiza (alt Pola de Gordon) Pajares the next day.
Because then Sunday would be on the no-shop stage after Pola de Gordon, so it doesn't matter.
And I would arrive to Santa Christina de Lena on a Tuesday, as (I think) it's closed on Monday.

I already packed a kilo of nut mix and a couple of Real turmat, and my electric coil, thanks to Stuarts and Lauries excellent advice. And got your great map of the Pajares hill, too, Gunnar.
I'm ready to walk. :cool:

My stages have been Leon-Pola de Gordon-Pajares. The second time I walked the Salvador, I had planned to stop in La Robla but I got there so early it just didn't appeal. The albergue in La Robla looks really nice, though, and La Robla is a bigger town than the next few, so if they could only move it about 15 kms to the north that would be great. ;)

You're right that the 5 kms to Buiza from Pola de Gordon is easy and mostly all along the road.

I think you can wait and see how you feel, because either way, you can make it to Pajares the next day. La Robla to Pajares is a long day but I've done it twice now and enjoyed it totally. A stop in between (Poladura) would be nice so that we could break up the mountain majesty into two days, but in Poladura the albergue has been repeatedly described as sub-standard. So if I did that I would stay in the casa rural.

Santa Cristina is officially closed on a Monday, but people have told me that if you call Maria (whose number is on the door) and if she is around, she'll come up and open it for you. She lives nearby and is very accommodating. I have been there outside of official opening times and called her and she came right up. It's a GREAT picnic spot if you can time it for an eating break. Buen camino, Susanna! Laurie

Hello Susanna,
The first day it was 07:30 when I started walking from León - Plaza St Marcos (parador)
Gloria, a lady from Andalucia was a few hundred meters behind me, we crossed each other after 7km. She had a better rythm and she arrived in La Robla at 15:30. I arrived in La Robla at 16:00. Add at least 2 hours more to Pola De Gordon and 1 hour to Buiza.
Buiza to Pajares: that's a challenge! Gloria had the plan to do La Robla - Pajares in one day but I don't know if she succeeded.
We started to walk in Pola De Gordon at 7:00 and arrived in Poladura de Tercia at 14:00. The next day we started in Poladura at 7:00 and arrived in Pajares at 15:30.

I will also give the timings of all other days.
Pajares: 8:00
Campomanes: 17:00

Campomanes: 7:45
Mieres: 15:45

Mieres: 09:00
Oviedo: 15:30

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, it's interesting to see your stages. There's so many possibilities to chose from! :)
But after some thinking, I think my goal the first day will be Pola de Gordon.
I think a good nights sleep at a nice hotel will be perfect before The big Pajares Day.
If Laurie did it, then I want to do it too. Who said this wasn't a race?;)
I'm hoping things will go well otherwise ok I will do it in five days, too.
Am really looking forward to this, can't wait! :)

Well, Susanna, you know I have made up my mind that next year I am going to walk it in five days and spend the night in the casa rural in Poladura, because I HATE to see that mountain walking end after just one day. But that's what I said last time, too so who knows. You're lucky to have the time to make the decision on the spot!

Yes. Actually I've been thinking it might be nice to have a resting day up there or a half, at least. But those little villages look a bit boring? Not much to do if you are alone there, but to go for an extra walk around the area.

Susanna:

I arrived in Leon at 2:00pm after a long day of travel from the states. I decided to start walking and stopped in Cabanillas (16km). The next day I walked to Pola de la Tercia. I did stop in the Buiza Albergue to put on my rain gear. It was a very nice Albergue. There were two women cleaning but it was spotless. It had a kitchen and modern bathrooms. While I was there a man arrived with some groceries. Did not stay long. Buiza is much larger than Cabanillas but I did not see a bar or store. I do not remember if there was a number to call on Ender's guide but it might be worth checking out prior to deciding your route.

I walked in the early Spring and my weather experience was pretty tough with with rain and snow. It took me 3 1/2 hours to walk 8km's from Poladura de la Tercia to Pajares. If you stay in Poladura, I recommend you stay at the Casa Rural listed in Ender's guide. This is a substandard Albergue. It has a tiny kitchen with a very small hot water tank. Nowhere near enough to take a hot shower. You also can not plug in more than two devices or the fuse blows. I was lucky enough to find the fuse box to reset because the so called Hospitalero just collected my 5 Euros and left. It is downstairs to the left of the door as you enter the building.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hola everyone,
I wonder if any of you stayed in Buiza? It seems like most people pass it, or just take a look inside the albergue, and then continue to the next stop.
I wonder if I shall stay there. If I stay in Pola de Gordon, then I must do the 5 km to Buiza in the morning instead.
If I go to Buiza and if its not open or something, I'm in trouble. As there will be to late to go to the next town. And too long to walk in one day.
Buen camino
Susanna

I stayed there, I was pilgrim no. 5 in the register book! It was lonesome, but very well-appointed, everything was still wrapped in its plastic. It was very cold, so I took a bunch of blankets and a new oil heater and made a little heated lower-bunk nest for myself in the corner.
The man in charge of the place is very proud of it, and happy to show you around town, such as it is.

Thank you Joe and Rebekah!
That sounds good. I will try to avoid the albergue in Poladura.
Usually I need a whole resting day just to recover from the flight, so walking 41 km the day after landing (and start with 7 on pavement) probably is crazy. But I'll try.
It's less than 48 hours to go now. I've been keeping an eye on the weather reports and it's still to hot!
I feel like I'm off to a party and tried every clothes I got in the closet and nothing fits. You know the feeling? ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed in the albergue in Poladura de la Tercia and didn't think it was that bad. It's probably even a step up from the average bunkhouses and mountain huts we have in similar remote parts of the UK but it's nowhere near the excellent standard of Pajares. It's a bit scruffy, a bit untidy but the beds were clean (or at least appeared so) and the hospitalero, Esteban, was very welcoming and friendly. The hospitalero was saying he's never seen more than 4 or 5 pilgrims in a week so there can't be that much cash to support it. And it is a donativo afterall, I can't be too harsh on it. I was expecting to rough it on this route (I even slept under the stars one night) and this albergue definitely wasn't the Hilton. On the other hand I think it would be sad to see any accommodation options disappearing because of an unfair reputation along this route as it is so sparsely provided. It's maybe not an albergue you would go out of your way for but it's certainly not one that I would go out my way to avoid. I stayed in worse along the Frances.

En este apartado de la AEMET dan predicciones para los Picos de Europa. Como no están muy lejos de la zona que atravesarás, podrías hacerte una idea del tiempo en el camino.

In this section of the AEMET give predictions for the Picos de Europa. As they are not far from the area that will cross, you could get an idea of the time on the road.

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/montana?w=&p=peu1

Thank you! The weather app on my phone (el Tiempo) says it will be 24 c in Pajares on Friday. And 26 in Leon. Don't know how honest this forecast is.
I remember reading in an old Swedish book about mountains, that for every 100m you go up, there will be 1c colder.
I've brought a thermometer a couple of times and tested it, and it seems to be true. So if there is say 21 in Leon today, there would be 15 on the top on 1500 m. Will be interesting to see.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Me parecen demasiado esos 24ºC de Pajares, aunque dan bueno para esos días, quien sabe.

I seem too those 24 º C Pajares, but give good for those days, who knows.

I stayed in the albergue in Poladura de la Tercia and didn't think it was that bad. It's probably even a step up from the average bunkhouses and mountain huts we have in similar remote parts of the UK but it's nowhere near the excellent standard of Pajares. It's a bit scruffy, a bit untidy but the beds were clean (or at least appeared so) and the hospitalero, Esteban, was very welcoming and friendly. The hospitalero was saying he's never seen more than 4 or 5 pilgrims in a week so there can't be that much cash to support it. And it is a donativo afterall, I can't be too harsh on it. I was expecting to rough it on this route (I even slept under the stars one night) and this albergue definitely wasn't the Hilton. On the other hand I think it would be sad to see any accommodation options disappearing because of an unfair reputation along this route as it is so sparsely provided. It's maybe not an albergue you would go out of your way for but it's certainly not one that I would go out my way to avoid. I stayed in worse along the Frances.

Stuart:

I am by no means trying to have this Albergue closed. Just trying to give a perspective on my experience while staying there as information to future Pilgrims and maybe an encouragement to the caretaker on some steps that might make it a better experience.

Esteban was welcoming until I signed in and gave him my 5 Euro's. Then He was gone. It was very cold and there were only space heaters. He did not inform me that only two devices could be plugged in at a time. He was nowhere to be found when the fuse blew. I found the box but someone else might not have in the dark. The Hot water heater is tiny and you can not take a decent shower, which is a nice bonus after a cold wet day of walking. There is no food available in town. No one was available for information in the morning as to weather ahead or to let them know you would be walking on in case something happened. I encountered 9-12ft snow drifts in the passes. There is an option here a Casa rural. My recommendation to anyone planning to stay here is that they consider this other option.

I understand that this Albergue does not get much activity. That said, it gets as much activity as the other Albergues on this route and they all exceeded this Albergue. I have stayed in huts and tents hiking in the mountains in the states. This accomodation exceeds those standards. My point is to make other Pilgrims aware that this Albergue has some short comings and there is a Casa Rural option.

This is my opinion. Others may have a different opinion or experience.

I hope to walk this route again after the Madrid next Spring. Hopefully in better weather and if I stop in Poladura it will be in the Casa Rural.

Ultreya,
Joe

I did León-La Robla on a Sunday, the albergue in La Robla is fabulous. Then, the second day, I treated myself to Posada el Embrujo in Poladura, the place is cosy and warm (it was below zero and very cloudy in the mornign when we started to walk) and the food is just fabulous, the views are amazing; it is worth it even if it costs a litle more. Worth every cent. Then onto Pajares, and from Pajares to Pola de Lena, and from Pola to Oviedo. So many memories...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.