• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflective tape and Gortex

Bala

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015, 2018, 2022
I have a Gortex rain shell that has kept me dry through some very serious rainstorms. The only trouble is it is black, so I'm never really comfortable walking along roads when visibility is bad.

I'm thinking about putting reflective tape around the sleeves, hem, and chest areas before I head back to the Camino next month. But I'm wondering if this this harm or weaken the material in any way. Will I be able to remove it at a later time?

Any thoughts or experience with this? I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your better bet would be to get one of those super-lightweight runner's vests, made from high-visibility (neon yellow or orange) mesh and including reflective components. That way, You can wear the vest atop the jacket. Or, you can wrap the vest around your pack (so you are visible when being approached from the rear, where otherwise your pack obscures any visibility markings on the jacket). This approach leaves the jacket unimpeded for wear in the cities or in daytime.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IKEA offers a great vest for under $5.00. It weighs about 1 oz and folds into a small thin square less than th palm of your hand. Always get the Large size as they run small. There was a recent thread on the very good poncho that IKEA offers for the same cheap price.

The vests are available on line from IKEA if you are not near one. I do not like IKEA but this was impossible to pass up.

I did the reflective strips and found they were hard to get to adhere to the "plastic" material as my poncho was navy and covered all the reflective strips on my backpack as well. I ordered a new reflective rain jacket with a backpack cover in a completely garish color from Amazon. Remember that the vest may be covered up in the back with your pack so I'd make sure there was some sort of reflective source (shoes, pants, etc). I'm concerned due to smaller crowds and more rain/fog in October/November.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716QXZNQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
also try everywhere else but the jacket...
small reflective strips on the poles will make a moving reflection and likewise wrapped around straps and on the back of your boots.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You may try placing the tape on an elastic exercise band (the kind used for stretches) and simply use that around you or around only your pack or in many places, you can buy a spool cheap and cut to size. Not sure tape will stick but see no reason why it wouldn't.
4" wide X 18' tape $11

If you do go with reflective tape get SOLAS tape. (Safety Of Life At Sea). There’s a reason the US Coast Guard and many others rely on it.

It will stick , especially if it is the tape made by 3M for this specific purpose, just think of all the reflective tape you see on Emergency services personnel's wet weather gear .
When it does it will be very difficult to remove and almost certainly ruin the underlying fabric .
The vest idea is brilliant Kitsambler:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back in my running days (like WAY back) I wore reflective ankle & wrist bands - felt, about 1" wide with velcro. Currently here in the US the military and many runners wear a bright yellow highly reflective belt that can be worn as a belt around the waist or over the shoulder bandoleer style or around a pack or whatever. In Iceland walkers were (required?) to wear an about 3" reflective disk on the back hem of their jackets.I have one that also has a battery powered LED flashing light. Here Occupational Health and Safety requirements are very strict in this regard. A lot of the workers wear really garish floppy yellow or orange hats with a wide reflective band that would protect from the sun as well as from the dark at night. There have been a lot of good ideas submitted and your care and concern in being highly visible at all times is good common sense. Been (and safe) camino!

I did the reflective strips and found they were hard to get to adhere to the "plastic" material as my poncho was navy and covered all the reflective strips on my backpack as well. I ordered a new reflective rain jacket with a backpack cover in a completely garish color from Amazon. Remember that the vest may be covered up in the back with your pack so I'd make sure there was some sort of reflective source (shoes, pants, etc). I'm concerned due to smaller crowds and more rain/fog in October/November.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716QXZNQ/?tag=casaivar02-20
I love it!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a Gortex rain shell that has kept me dry through some very serious rainstorms. The only trouble is it is black, so I'm never really comfortable walking along roads when visibility is bad.

I'm thinking about putting reflective tape around the sleeves, hem, and chest areas before I head back to the Camino next month. But I'm wondering if this this harm or weaken the material in any way. Will I be able to remove it at a later time?

Keep the poncho, Consider a REALLY bright hat and gloves to hold your poles while walking. This is a less expensive option for buying things you will need anyway.

I have both a neon-lime yellow (safety color) ball cap, and a pair of similarly bright gloves that I bought in a runner's store. It is the contrast in colors that makes you visible.

Normally, muted or earth tones than blend in with the surrounding pallette do not make you more visible. You tend to blend into the environment. That is NOT what you want when road-walking.

Wearing colors that create a maximum contrast with the prevalent background are best. That is why road workers and emergency personnel wear "wake the dead' international orange or neon-yellow safety gear. These colors do not exist in MOST of nature, at least along a Camino.

It is the degree of contrast that makes you visible. So, a bright red poncho is relatively better than a claret or burgundy colored poncho. A white poncho may be better than a black poncho, except in the snow of course. A sky blue poncho is better than a navy blue poncho. International orange is better than a subdued pumpkin color, etc. I think you get the idea.

The same paradigm holds true for those of you who might use a hiking or regular umbrella. Standard colors do not create contrast and do not aid in making you visible.

Finally, consider this contrasting color notion if possible when buying a rucksack. Remember the CAmino is not a fashion parade. Staying safe is more important than wearing coordinated colors.

You need not spend a lot of money to protect yourself. Just plan ahead. Think, what color choice would create a greater contrast when I am walking along a road, perhaps in the early morning or twilight or in a heavy downpour?

Hope this helps.

Here is a link to the IKEA site with the reflective vest for $4.99
This is the U.S. site but understand the UK site also offers them.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10315735/

I ordered one yesterday. The shipping costs more than the vest, but saves me 90 minutes driving and is still a bargain. Locally I walk along some busy state roads to get to my trails, so I like the idea of this vest for the sunny days as well.

Keep the poncho, Consider a REALLY bright hat and gloves to hold your poles while walking. This is a less expensive option for buying things you will need anyway.

I have both a neon-lime yellow (safety color) ball cap, and a pair of similarly bright gloves that I bought in a runner's store. It is the contrast in colors that makes you visible.

Normally, muted or earth tones than blend in with the surrounding pallette do not make you more visible. You tend to blend into the environment. That is NOT what you want when road-walking.

Wearing colors that create a maximum contrast with the prevalent background are best. That is why road workers and emergency personnel wear "wake the dead' international orange or neon-yellow safety gear. These colors do not exist in MOST of nature, at least along a Camino.

It is the degree of contrast that makes you visible. So, a bright red poncho is relatively better than a claret or burgundy colored poncho. A white poncho may be better than a black poncho, except in the snow of course. A sky blue poncho is better than a navy blue poncho. International orange is better than a subdued pumpkin color, etc. I think you get the idea.

The same paradigm holds true for those of you who might use a hiking or regular umbrella. Standard colors do not create contrast and do not aid in making you visible.

Finally, consider this contrasting color notion if possible when buying a rucksack. Remember the CAmino is not a fashion parade. Staying safe is more important than wearing coordinated colors.

You need not spend a lot of money to protect yourself. Just plan ahead. Think, what color choice would create a greater contrast when I am walking along a road, perhaps in the early morning or twilight or in a heavy downpour?

Hope this helps.

Excellent advice, as always, @t2andreo . I'm probably over thinking this. I already have a reflective cap and waist bag, and a bright green pack cover, so I'm probably good to go. The extra step of a vest just makes me feel a little more protected. Too many days walking along my local roads.

And I love the idea of tape on my poles and shoes, etc. I may do that, too. After all, I leave in less than two weeks, I've got to have something to obsess over!! ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I ordered one yesterday. The shipping costs more than the vest, but saves me 90 minutes driving and is still a bargain. Locally I walk along some busy state roads to get to my trails, so I like the idea of this vest for the sunny days as well.

I have a number of reflective vests, belts, tape, etc. that I have used over the years. I had never found one that was "ideal' for my use. I walk on many local streets and roads, often in the evening, and need high viz to feel safe.

This vest is far better than any of the others I have tried....most were very expensive. The price on this one made me very sceptical but it is far better than the others.

I use 3M reflective tape on each section of my pole. Just 1 - 1 inch stripe on each section.

It is more than enough.

Plus, when I spot an oncoming vehicle, I rotate my right wrist about 90 degrees into the oncoming lane of traffic, to creating an arc with my walking pole. The result, seen from the oncoming car, is a series of reflective strips whirring in an arc. It looks like stripes on an airplane propellor. THAT will definitely get a driver's attention.

If you cannot find this tape locally, try Amazon. That is where I get it. If the tape comes in a 2" wide roll, just cut 1" wide strips from the roll.

The 2" length works perfect around the circumference of a hiking pole. You can trim the 2" piece as needed to prevent overlap, if desired for a more 'factory' fit.

Hope this helps.

I use 3M reflective tape on each section of my pole. Just 1 - 1 inch stripe on each section.
Great idea. Since I tend to walk, hike and do almost everything in shorts as long as not below 40° F outside I have no place to put tape down low. Now I do. The poles! Of course. I have hiked a glacier in shorts. After 30+ years in So Cal and wearing no long pants my legs simply do not get cold. I keep my core well bundled up.

€46,-

Yeah, I know, I'm very late with my reply :)

First of all why so many concerns about reflective surfaces? Are you planning to do the night walking? On roads?

Anyway for day walking and even in the rain bright colours of the equipment are quite enough (red, yellow, blue) because you don't very often find them (so artificial) in nature. But first of all try to buy colorful equipment maybe.

Otherwise putting some silver (or whatever color) duct tape on parts of your GorEtex (not Gortex) jacket can't do any harm to the capability of the material if you believe in it at all. I don't , I still sweat like a horse :)

Otherwise I think buying a reflective vest is just spending some more money and carrying another item you will hardly use. Just wrap a meter of silver duct tape on each of your walking pole under the handle and apply it as needed. Don't over apply down the whole length of walking poles or you can't collapse poles ;)

And you can use that duct tape for so many more things. I can come up with at least 10 of them.

Stay safe!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.