• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reflective vests

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
there was reference SOMEWHERE official about reflective vests being required (by law?) in Spain for anyone on foot after dark-- i assume in am pre-dawn as well

they mentioned the light weight (??) vests are readily available- can't remember what store they named

does anyone really ever wear these? are they needed if you carry light?

I know some pilgrims head out early or end up stuck out late
nanc
(God, I can sure spend a lot of time with you guys: looking up thoughts, answers, questions, alternatives- had to set you aside so I could get out in the rain and live it - training hike ;-))
Nanc

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Theoretically they are required if you walk on/close to a road in 'bad light', practically I have rarely seen anybody wearing them and haven't seen anybody controlling/enforcing this. Also, your back is covered by the backpack, so it makes much more sense to put something reflective on said backpack (some backpack come already with reflective stripes). Buen Camino, SY

image.jpeg Last year I bought a roll of reflective hiviz tape and wound it around the top section of my pacer poles and applied strips to the back of my pack and to the shoulder straps at the front. I didn't really expect it to stay in place on the pack but it is still there after walking for seven weeks. I had a tiny scrap left over and wrapped it around my electric toothbrush to differentiate it from my partner's. Nothing goes to waste in this household!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
there was reference SOMEWHERE official about reflective vests being required (by law?) in Spain for anyone on foot after dark-- i assume in am pre-dawn as well

they mentioned the light weight (??) vests are readily available- can't remember what store they named

nanc
(God, I can sure spend a lot of time with you guys: looking up thoughts, answers, questions, alternatives- had to set you aside so I could get out in the rain and live it - training hike ;-))
Nanc

Funny, I hunted down the regulations for a friend recently. I've pasted in the specifics below. (it's Article 123 of Royal Decree 1428/2003). Truth is you rarely see pilgrims wearing anything like this, but any time I see a car stopped on the side of the road with the driver out looking at the car, he/she always has one of them on. They are in the glove compartment of every car rental, too.

Maggie's solution is a great one, even for those of us who can't use a sewing machine like she can since it's adhesive!

My rough translation:
"Outside of town, between dusk and sunrise or conditions with reduced visibility, pedestrians on the road or on the sidewalk must use a lit or reflective article that conforms with the technical requirements of Royal Decree 1407/1992 of Nov. 20, (which detail the requirements of these articles of clothing) -- they must be visible from at least 150 m for drivers approaching them. Groups of pedestrians in a line must also carry lights to indicate their location and size. These lights must be white or yellow facing front, and red facing backwards."

Artículo 123. Circulación nocturna.

Fuera del poblado, entre el ocaso y la salida del sol o en condiciones meteorológicas o ambientales que dis- minuyan sensiblemente la visibilidad, todo peatón, cuan- do circule por la calzada o el arcén, deberá ir provisto de un elemento luminoso o retrorreflectante homologa- do y que responda a las prescripciones técnicas con- tenidas en el Real Decreto 1407/1992, de 20 de noviembre, por el que se regulan las condiciones para la comercialización y libre circulación intracomunitaria de los equipos de protección individual, que sea visible a una distancia mínima de 150 metros para los con- ductores que se le aproximen, y los grupos de peatones dirigidos por una persona o que formen cortejo llevarán, además, en el lado más próximo al centro de la calzada, las luces necesarias para precisar su situación y dimen- siones, las cuales serán de color blanco o amarillo hacia adelante y rojo hacia atrás y, en su caso, podrán constituir un solo conjunto.

Make your hat a hiviz one as well. If you are already carrying the wwight of an item might as well make it hiviz rather than carrying additional weight, and making yet another purchase.

We bought 'oversize' vests, split the sides and then safety pinned the back to make a box shape over our packs. Ribbon ties at the bottom side corners front and back to stop them flapping. Then they fitted well and could also be used over our ponchos on a wet day. Cyclist strip straps on my pack's chest strap and Terry's back outer pocket were sufficient to be visible at all times. The straps were done this way as I walk in front on the road and Terry drops behind, we reverse this in the UK.

Attachments

• ref jkt.jpg
    ref jkt.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 88
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

nanc
Nanc
I always wear one if walking on a main-ish road, even in sunlight. But then I am a what-if sort of person.

Make your hat a hiviz one as well. If you are already carrying the wwight of an item might as well make it hiviz rather than carrying additional weight, and making yet another purchase.

Since this appears a good point to jump it - I will - I happen to have three hi-viz hats that I just purchased to evaluate. They are certainly bright...SERIOUSLY bright!

However, I have so much of this sort of gear for my Caminos that I want to make them available FREE for postage paid to my Paypal account.

In each case, the quality is excellent, the hi-viz has to be seen to be believed, and all hats appear to be at least water resistant. The ranger hat has a perforated crown all around, so the ventilation is excellent. The head band on the Ranger hat is an absorbent band designed to provide evaporative cooling. This is an excellent feature for walking the Meseta in summer. The ranger hat also has an excellent chin cord to prevent hat loss in windy conditions.

The ball cap is my personal preference as it can be used as a "bill" with a poncho, and but has a more casual look. however, I have a softer Adidas ball cap in hi-viz lime yellow, that I prefer so I am letting this cap go.

My considered opinion is that these are commercial grade products, intended to provide workplace visibility and safety to road crews.

POINT TO MAKE: All three of these hats are SO bright as to make you visible under nearly all light conditions. We are talking almost radioactive bright!

As regards the points about reflective vests above, I respectfully suggest, based on experience, that one of these hats is FAR more visible than any vest as it sits above your pack. They even have abundant reflective stripes or bands for walking in the dark or fog. one of these hats combined with what Magwood did to her poles and pack shokld be more than enough visibility.

Besides, Spanish law regarding reflective vests only addresses the time between dawn and dusk. It does not require that you wear a vest in fog, sow, rain, or other during the day low-light conditions. These situations are far more likely along the Camino than night-walking.

If I did not have other, similar products, that I personally prefer, I would keep these items. I like all of them. But as some of you know, it is more important to me to have other pilgrims with good gear than I need the money. So, I am happy to make these items available to other pilgrims through the Forum.

However, I would like to be compensated for postage. I live in the US and can easily mail to anywhere here, or around the world. If you want it sent internationally, including Canada folks, I will get a postage estimate and get back to you.

If you are interested in these hats, please send me a PM. We will take it from there...

FYI, I am thinking about a separate, non-Camino, trip to Belgium to visit long-time friends in March this year. If I do that, then mailing these hats within the EU becomes economically viable. So, if you are in Europe, and want one of these hats, do send me a PM. We will see what we can sort out.

Here are the links to the Amazon pages where I found these items:

Ergodyne Ranger Hat, Hi-Vis (REALLY), reflective, with evaporative headband, in SMALL/MEDIUM:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092ZX6ZA/?tag=casaivar02-20

SAME Hat in LARGE / XLARGE (it just fits my size 60 cm - 7 3/8" head)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092ZX6ZA/?tag=casaivar02-20

Ergodyne GloWear 8930 Class Headwear Hi-Vis, reflective, Baseball Cap (one size)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DCT3KW/?tag=casaivar02-20

I hope this helps the dialog.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 23550 Last year I bought a roll of reflective hiviz tape and wound it around the top section of my pacer poles and applied strips to the back of my pack and to the shoulder straps at the front. I didn't really expect it to stay in place on the pack but it is still there after walking for seven weeks. I had a tiny scrap left over and wrapped it around my electric toothbrush to differentiate it from my partner's. Nothing goes to waste in this household![/QU

Last edited:
Throughout France and most of Europe reflective vests are generally sold in gas stations. Inexpensive and lightweight they are always available in routiers stops which cater to long distance truckers.

And the routiers stops especially on regional roads serve some real good homemade food.

I love that -- "had to set you aside" so that one can "live it." Know JUST what you mean! Buen Camino, Nanc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looking at your Pacer Poles,
View attachment 23550 Last year I bought a roll of reflective hiviz tape and wound it around the top section of my pacer poles and applied strips to the back of my pack and to the shoulder straps at the front. I didn't really expect it to stay in place on the pack but it is still there after walking for seven weeks. I had a tiny scrap left over and wrapped it around my electric toothbrush to differentiate it from my partner's. Nothing goes to waste in this household!

Looking at your Pacer Poles,

Looking at your Pacer Poles, the one on the left has something on the top of it that looks like some sort of a hook. Can you tell me what that is used for?

Hi @wonzi. It is a camera mount - one of the accessories available from the pacerpoles guys. It has not been a great success - it doesn't seem to align the camera at a useful angle. I won't be taking it this year - but it was worth a try!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always use use good bicycle gear to walk in, I use a good Illuminite jacket from Endura with a built in rear lamp blinking away every time I walk to and fro work and even in the dark and dusky condition.
I use reflektive tape on sticks and gear too. ..... and you´ll light up like a Xmas tree, when headlights hits you.....

endura 2.jpg endura 1.jpg

Haven't tried these yet but they look promising for those early morning starts as well as foggy days: Night Runner 270 Degree Shoe Lights. Not so good for been seen from behind but will definitely help you to stand out to approaching traffic.
PS Fixing your Feet is also a great blog - a sort of Camino Forum for the feet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of course (sic). I LOVE to elaborate (as others will tell you...)

I already have a bright lime-yellow Adidas branded ball cap with reflective embroidery (Adidas logo), and reflective grey, edge piping. It is nearly as bright as the Ergodyne hats I mentioned above. However, the fabric is softer, more comfortable (IMHO), and can be soaked for evaporative cooling when walking on hot, sunny days. Plus, I already own it, and it is more wearable "apres-walking" in the evening, as casual wear (it is a tad more stylish).

Finally, as regards the benefits of a ball cap style hat, generally (IMHO), a ball cap is the better alternative for wearing under a poncho or parka hood. Sun hats, worn in the rain under a hood, allow water to run around the hat's brim and down your back.

But, here is a link to eBay, where the exact (including color) cap can still be bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adidas-Clim...ack-Cap-Hat-New-NWT-Neon-Yellow-/172075808511

BTW, I donated the Ergodyne ball cap to another Forum member for postage...

As regards sun hats, I prefer hats with broad brims to ball caps when walking in the Spanish sun. It keeps my neck in shade, reducing sunburn.

I prefer my North Face brand, ultra light-weight mesh panel hat in very soft tan SPF 50 fabric. I bought the hat in the Leon, el Corte Ingles department store in 2014, and love it! It replaced a heavier, older sun hat with less ventilation. This sun hat has covered mesh panels all along the sides and a neck cord to keep it on in windy conditions (Meseta). It can be soaked then worn wet for evaporative cooling. It rolls very small and only weighs 57 grams / 2.0 ounces (dry). Sorry, I have not been able to find it online to share with you. Also, I cut al the tags off so I do not have the UPC or other identifying information.

The Ergodyne sun hat I mentioned above (L/XL) weighs 82 grams (2.9 ounces).

BTW, the two Ergodyne BRIGHT sun hats, mentioned above (S/M & L/XL) are still available for postage to a good home... Send me a Private Conversation.

Finally, for reflective use, I always have my Leki Ultralight walking sticks with the 3M reflective tape on them. These NEVER stay home. They literally saved my life while on the Camino Frances in 2013. I will use these poles until they "give up the proverbial ghost."

As much of my April-May Camino walking is on rainy, overcast, or even snowy days (at altitude), I perfected a wrist-rotating method of producing a flashing "arc" in the face of approaching traffic. Simply holding on to the walking stick and rotating my right wrist anti-clockwise, produces the appearance of a whirling arc (like a propeller blade). The arc extends about 90 degrees. It NEVER fails to get the attention on oncoming drivers. Try it, it works! When I am walking approaching traffic (always) as a vehicle approaches several hundred meters away, I flash the "wrist arc," pause, then flash it again. It has never failed to cause the oncoming driver to yield and move towards their left, the center of the road. Many also flash their lights at you to indicate that they see you.

I hope this helps.

On my first two Caminos i was lucky enough to encounter only 3 days of rain and neither were on busy roads. Last year i took an orange garbage bag with me to cut up and use if i needed to stand out in bad weather. The rain was so heavy that i bought some grey plumbers tape in Portugal and made some bright orange gaiters to keep my socks and shoes dry. I got some strange looks but i certainly did stand out and my feet stayed dry. This year i'm thinking i will probably encounter a lot more rain so i will put reflective tape on the back and sleeves of my Altus raincoat as its blue and doesn't stand out at all. I will make my gaiters again (not sure about the orange) they are easy to make and light to wear and a garbage bag takes up hardly any room. Buen Camino Judy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have used the Nite Ize Spotlit LED with Carabiner on all my Caminos. One is attached to the front backpack shoulder strap and one to the back of my backpack. I also attached a clip to each of my trekking poles, so I could remove one from my backpack and attach it directly to either, or both of my trekking poles.

If making your own vest/jacket then it needs to also have the reflective tape, not just a bright colour, and that tape must be visible approx 100mts away or more. It is possible to buy the correct grade of tape for the road, we bought ours on-line as we had no local stockist. (We don't have a record of where)

On the VdlP last June, our little group (4 of us at the time) was stopped by a police road block and handed ONE reflexive vest, we were told the last one had to wear it on his backpack. Pics were taken and I think we were on the local news. It was an effort to reduce the number of road casualties we were told (we must have been in Galicia, I can't remember where exactly as my blog is lost :()
Actually, we had tried to buy some of those vests en route (there was so much lorry traffic sometimes due to the AVE) but hadn't found any.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If making your own vest/jacket then it needs to also have the reflective tape, not just a bright colour, and that tape must be visible approx 100mts away or more. It is possible to buy the correct grade of tape for the road, we bought ours on-line as we had no local stockist. (We don't have a record of where)
I recently saw this video from 3M, showing the effects of headlights on various colours of clothing and various types of reflective tape. Even bright white shirts did not show up until 250 feet, which is much too late for a driver even at relatively slow 30 MPH/48 kph to avoid a walker.

Attachments

• 500_Feet.png
    500_Feet.png
    235.4 KB · Views: 23
That’s a great demonstration Brian, and although I use reflective tape on my trekking poles, it’s one of the reasons I use the LED flashing lights I posted above.

I have an easier answer...I avoid walking in the dark.:eek:

For the time just after dawn and just before dusk, or on cloudy, rainy, or snowy days, I rely on reflective garments, patches, and tape. In extremis, I have a small, bright, LED flashlight in my rucksack belt tool pouch. I wave this at approaching vehicles.

I used to attach "blinky" LED lights to both poles, a red one and a white one. But that because burdensome...too many gadgets I think...

However, if you "Choose" to walk in the real dark, like on the trail or in the woods in the dark, you should wear an LED headlamp to avoid injury.

I hope this helps.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The reflective vest I have has not been used once on my first week of CP. It weighs ~ 120 gm - I may just ditch it or cut it up and apply strips of it to backpack. I think you may find to purchase in gas stations.
Janice

Well, if you don´t wear it, it won´t save you.
I do not believe that they should be worn only when it´s dark.
I noticed, how absolutely turtle-slow I am with a rucksack after a days walk.
I think that I wouldn´t be able to move fast enough, even if I wanted.

For everyday use I bought a yellow reflective bicycle jacket ( Endura Illuminite) for walking at the roadside to my job every day...
in the summer I use a running vest in yellow neon.....
I am not going to let good taste get in the way of longevity...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great thread! I came very close to being road kill on my Camino please stay aware on every road no matter how quiet it seems. We loose far to many, please take this serious.

What happened with the backpack cover Galicia was supposed to hand put to pilgrims? Has anyone seen them being used?

the backpack covers were a promotional wheeze. The local politicians and camino PR outfit Xacobeo handed them out one day while the TV cameras rolled. A Camino activist group (FICS) kept bothering them about "black spots" on the camino, where pilgrims cross busy highways (with sometimes-fatal outcomes). Local officials responsible for highway safety decided that glow-in-the-dark pack covers were the better (cheaper) "solution" to the problem than blinking lights and dedicated crossings.
(We the activists aren't buying it, btw)...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Must say that pilgrims themselves have great responsibility themselves.
Search your own souls and admit that alertness fails when we are tired, and when somebody is speaking to us and we feel intertained, and feeling like a holiday crowd going to the beach.
Furthermore many pilgrims fail to face the direction of the traffic and it is scaring the living daylight out of me....
In the end of the day I further admit that I feel like a tired crab under the weight of the pack and my reflexes seize up, and I know I better look out sharp.
That´s why I mostly walk alone...

Last edited:
the backpack covers were a promotional wheeze. The local politicians and camino PR outfit Xacobeo handed them out one day while the TV cameras rolled. A Camino activist group (FICS) kept bothering them about "black spots" on the camino, where pilgrims cross busy highways (with sometimes-fatal outcomes). Local officials responsible for highway safety decided that glow-in-the-dark pack covers were the better (cheaper) "solution" to the problem than blinking lights and dedicated crossings.
(We the activists aren't buying it, btw)...
That's too bad, I would happily have used one. But also want the blinking lights.

I don't know what is the legal way for a pedestrian to walk in Portugal, but for myself, I will crisscross the roads so as to NOT be in the blind spot of a auto driver - especially when there is no shoulder. I cut up my reflective vest and will apply to backpack cover and shoulder straps. Walkers also need to be aware that auto drivers are "blinded" by the sun glare in the late afternoon when the sun is low in the sky and in alignment with the drivers field of vision. Please walk safe and walk defensively.
Janice

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Of course if you don't want to stand out TOO much from the crowd how about Hi-Vis CAMOUFLAGE from Decathlon (Contender for Best Oxymoron 2016)
upload_2016-5-8_22-3-51.png
Can I, as a civil engineer who regularly works on UK motorways at night time point out that Hi-Vis clothing does NOT keep you safe. Constant vigilence keeps you safe. My crews who wear bright yellow hi-vis jackets AND trousers together with helmet mounted lamps that flash red to the rear regularly report close calls where huge intercontinental trucks have missed them by inches.

Walk on the side facing the oncoming traffic (normally the left hand verge in mainland europe but on the right in UK and Ireland), be extra vigilent on bends and, if you do tuck in out of the way on the verge make sure your rucksack doesn't overhang the highway to get snagged by passing traffic.

I put mine to good use last September when I had to walk along a highway and it was dark and very dense fog even in the late morning hours. I never saw anyone else with anything reflective on.

Must say that pilgrims themselves have great responsibility themselves.
Search your own souls and admit that alertness fails when we are tired, and when somebody is speaking to us and we feel intertained, and feeling like a holiday crowd going to the beach.
Furthermore many pilgrims fail to face the direction of the traffic and it is scaring the living daylight out of me....
In the end of the day I further admit that I feel like a tired crab under the weight of the pack and my reflexes seize up, and I know I better look out sharp.
That´s why I mostly walk alone...
No kidding. It drove me crazy when (more than once), two pilgrims were walking on the wrong side of the road with everyone else walking where they were supposed to. The oncoming drivers (sometimes in very large vehicles) had to weave across the narrow road to avoid both sets of walkers. And on top of that the pilgrims usually seemed to be engaged in conversation to the point that they weren't aware of what was happening, or the danger into which they were placing themselves and others.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know what is the legal way for a pedestrian to walk in Portugal, but for myself, I will crisscross the roads so as to NOT be in the blind spot of a auto driver - especially when there is no shoulder.

I do that no matter what country I'm walking in.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.