• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refrigerated Med Solution?

JohnCilladi

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Everyone,
I am in very good health and looking forward to hiking Camino Frances in 2023. There is only one medication that I take, and it has to be refrigerated. I only need it every 15 days, so I hate to carry a refrigerated container with me.
Does anyone know if there is a way that I could ship the medication ahead on the trail to pick it up when I am closer to needing it?
Or, does anyone have a solution that I have not considered?

Thanks,
John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A prescription for fulfillment in a pharmacia would be the simplest solution if your md is willing to provide. An internet search to establish whether your specific medication is available on prescription in Europe is advisable. The logistics of forwarding a refrigerated package to a suitable holding centre even if it’s a hotel that likes to say “yes”…
I’d rather post a camel through the eye of that needle

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Everyone,
I am in very good health and looking forward to hiking Camino Frances in 2023. There is only one medication that I take, and it has to be refrigerated. I only need it every 15 days, so I hate to carry a refrigerated container with me.
Does anyone know if there is a way that I could ship the medication ahead on the trail to pick it up when I am closer to needing it?

Thanks,
John
It is a problem...
Both my husband and I take an injectable medication once a week that is stable 56 days without refrigeration so we were gone to Spain less than that this year. If it is a single dose med, I agree it might be cheaper and easier to source in Spain. You'd have to make sure you were in a town with a pharmacy that had the medication available the day you needed it. You would need to pay cash and file for reimbursement upon return home. If you speak Spanish this will be made easier. If not, have someone write out your request or find and take Spanish speaking pilgrim with you to the pharmacy on day 15.

Otherwise, maybe consult with your provider to see if there is an alternative medication regimen for this trip?

I would not let this stop me, now after several trips to Spain, but I would not have known what to do about it on my first Camino. Glad you are reaching out early.

There is also a rechargeable thermos-like container that might work if you have no other solutions. I think it is 4allfamily.com. You charge it with a phone charger cord. We looked at getting one for longer trips.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
John
Have you considered Frio cooling wallets? Seems like a simple solution

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I purchased one of these for my eye drops that needed to be kept cool for 50 days while I was on the Camino and I was there Sept to Oct 2022 so it was hot the first few weeks. Felt the containers of eye drops were cool when I touched them. I have no actual proof that the temp was stable, but worth a look.

Many of these "fragile" medications must be kept refrigerated within a certain temp range and not just "cool" or they are no longer any good after the shelf life stated (for mine 56 days.). You can't just stick them back in the frig and hope for the best. Once they reach a certain temp then they revert to the stated days of shelf life. A cold chain is important so the refrigerated thermos that uses a rechargeable battery pack and records the actual interior temp may be the way to go. There is also a risk if you put it with an ice pack that the medication may freeze which makes it unusable. Generally the medications are very expensive. Mine is $800 for a month's supply without my insurance so it makes sense to ensure that the storage solution meets the standard mentioned for the medication. In Spain my medication is $130 for a month's supply before insurance so it is still costly and I would not want to make a mistake and make it unusable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.