• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refuge Emaús in Burgos?

Hello.
The refuge "Emaús" has moved the other year to an other place. There are now rumors that the owner has closed her refuge definetive this year. Has anyone approved information to this refuge?
Buen Camino
Jochen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An article today indicates it is available in Burgos. There is no guarantee that the journalist checked her sources!!

The pilgrims jam during this month the shelters of Burgos
17.08.09 -
ROSALÍA SANTAOLALLA

Way without crisis
The pilgrims jam during this month the shelters of Burgos

The municipal shelter of the street Fernán González, in the of Burgos capital, has pulverized marks during this month of August. It has a maximum capacity for 160 people and during several days, the Friendly association of the Way of Santiago, manages that it, has had to ask for the opening of the polideportivo of San Amaro to lodge to about 20 or 30 pilgrims to which it could not give bed in his facilities.

It is almost impossible to calculate the number of travellers who enter the of Burgos capital their route towards Santiago de Compostela. Besides the municipal shelter that manages the association, in Burgos other two facilities of this type exist - the shelters of Emaús and the Divine Shepherd and tens of inns and pensions that also usually welcome an important number of pilgrims during this time of the year. “For the city it is an important source of income”, recognizes Jesus Aguirre, the president of Friendly the of Burgos association of the Way of Santiago. Aguirre confirms that “the crisis does not make notch” in the jacobea route and remembers that the great affluence of pilgrims by all the route “results in benefit” of all the localities that crosses the Way. Because, in his opinion, although the peregrination to Santiago can seem a cheap form to make tourism in the days of crisis, “the pilgrim, if the city it likes, returns like tourist, is there where income become”.

Between the reasons for which the number of pilgrims is being east superior year that in the previous ones, could be, according to the association that Jesus presides over Aguirre, the fact that the next year is Year Santo Jacobeo, reason why many travellers would have preferred to avoid possible agglomerations in the route. Italian, American, Canadian and Korean Germans, French, - these last ones, relatively recent pilgrims win these days the shelter of Burgos, next to Catalan, Basque, Valencian and Madrilenian travellers. They do “It for several reasons. The main one is spiritual, go to the tomb of the apostle. But also from a patrimonial, cultural, landscaping point of view”, it details.

Jacobea Ruja
The municipal shelter of Burgos is located in the historical House of the Bucket, in the street Fernán González, right in the center of the of Burgos capital and on the own jacobea route. It works there for a year, when it replaced “the provisional” shelter that during years was placed in modules prefabricated in the park of the Parral. The new facilities, constructed by the City council with an important financing of cultural 1% of the Ministry of Public Works and the Economy, are to a passage of the Cathedral and have allowed the pilgrims to know the places most centric the of Burgos capital.

To this knowledge of the city also it has contributed the agreement signed between the Friendly association of the Way of Santiago de Burgos and the association of Official Tour guides, who develop routes guided by downtown, to that go about 30 users of the shelter every day. “Full success”, according to Aguirre, to that Box of Burgos in the last weeks, that the route completes, for the pilgrims that still conserve forces, with a gratuitous visit has been united to the CAB (Center of Art Box of Burgos).

Can anyone tell me what the albergue situation is in burgos then? I'm confused, is the albergue in the park now closed, I was sort of hoping if I make it that far this year to maybe camp there (i'm sure i saw folks doing that?). I vaguely recall mention of a new bigger albergue near the cathedral, is this where i should be looking for beds?
I'm guessing no camping in the centre of the big city then, I did think this was abit hopeful!! :D :D :s

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The new albergue almost next to the cathedral has about 160 beds!

The municipal shelter of the street Fernán González, in the of Burgos capital, has pulverized marks during this month of August. It has a maximum capacity for 160 people and during several days

Elzi..... my understanding is that the old albergue in the park was going to close when the new more central one opened to replace it.... but I haven't been back that way to check!
Margaret

The albergue in the park is gone. The new one is doing boffo business.
You can camp outside the city at a very nice place near the Cartuja de Miraflores -- the fabulous and relatively unvisited Cistercian monastery atop a hill across the river from the city center.

As for Emaús, I have not run across any pilgrims this year who´ve stayed there. I don´t know whether it is still there or not. Maybe someone with the phone number can phone them and ask?

Oh, Jochem: We have had several pilgrims stay here recently referred by the Paderborn guide or the Paderborn refuge in Pamplona. Every one of them was a lovely guest. Thank you, and the confraternity, for the service you provide to them.

Reb.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Re: Refuge Emaús in Burgos --> New address

Hello friends.
Here is the mail I got from the tourist information of Burgos:
Hello
The new address of the refuge Emaus has changed the adress. The new adress is Calle San Pedro de Cardeña 31 bis (SAn Jose's Church)
cordially
Rosalía López Murillo

AYUNTAMIENTO DE BURGOS
Oficina Municipal de Turismo
Plaza del Rey San Fernando, 2
09003 BURGOS
Hello Rebekah.
Thank you for the compliments.
I love to read your blog! If you ever think of making a book of it please let me know. I want to be your first customer!
Buen Camino
Jochen

Re: Incompetent Tourist Info

On my request in the case of existing or non existing of the refuge Emaús I got also this answer.
Hello,
I can't confirm you if the pilgrims refuge Emaus will be closed or not. We don't have any information about this. You can phone to this refuge to confirm the information. The telephone number is 947 205363.
Eva Castresana

AYUNTAMIENTO DE BURGOS
Oficina Municipal de Turismo
Plaza del Rey San Fernando, 3
09003 - Burgos Tel. 947 - 288874
e-mail:ecastresana@aytoburgos.es
Please judge yourself about the competence of this tourist information! The telephone number does not work.
Buen Camino.
Jochen.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: Refuge Emaús in Burgos exists!

Hello.
At last I got contact with the owner of that refuge. She does not want her telephone number published. I can understand and accept that.
The refuge still exists! It has 18 places in bunk beds. Address see previous posting. The refuge is open from Easter until Oct. 31st.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back