• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refuge Orisson most unresponsive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mind keeps going back to the Codex Calixtinus. I never came across a section on reservations, except those of going on such a long journey on foot.
Perhaps Picaud didn’t anticipate the number of recreational ‘pilgrims’ we now see or the proportion not expecting to sleep in a ditch?

I freely admit to be the former, but most certainly not the latter.

I’m not sure how many purported 12th century expectations are currently maintained. What do you think?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My mind keeps going back to the Codex Calixtinus. I never came across a section on reservations, except those of going on such a long journey on foot.
To repeat a post I made elsewhere: if suffering was the purpose of pilgrimage we’d do this in hair shirts and steel cilice, not tech shirts and tevas. To paraphrase Clemenza, leave the false suffering, take the journey.

for me, it’s the journey to God that matters and everyone’s journey is unique.

Perhaps Picaud didn’t anticipate the number of recreational ‘pilgrims’ we now see or the proportion not expecting to sleep in a ditch?

I freely admit to be the former, but most certainly not the latter.

I’m not sure how many purported 12th century expectations are currently maintained. What do you think?
Creo que la adición de “peregrinos” recreativos ”y la posibilidad de reservar una cama ha supuesto una competencia y un desafío desagradables para todos los que recorren el Camino. Siempre estoy listo para el desafío, pero rechazaré todas y cada una de las competiciones en esta arena, fuera de esas batallas dentro de mí, en las que el Camino elegirá o no para ayudarme.

I think that the addition of, “recreational ‘pilgrims,’” and the ability to reserve a bed has put an unwelcome competition and challenge on everyone who walks the Way. I am always up for the challenge but will turn down any and all competitions in this arena, outside of those battles within myself, which the Path will either choose or not to choose to help me with.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Creo que la adición de “peregrinos” recreativos ”y la posibilidad de reservar una cama ha supuesto una competencia y un desafío desagradables para todos los que recorren el Camino. Siempre estoy listo para el desafío, pero rechazaré todas y cada una de las competiciones en esta arena, fuera de esas batallas dentro de mí, en las que el Camino elegirá o no para ayudarme.

I think that the addition of, “recreational ‘pilgrims,’” and the ability to reserve a bed has put an unwelcome competition and challenge on everyone who walks the Way. I am always up for the challenge but will turn down any and all competitions in this arena, outside of those battles within myself, which the Path will either choose or not to choose to help me with.
I think I can’t read the mind or hearts of others on the road, let alone know for sure why they’re on it or what their struggles are.

Some may have physical limitations and can’t just add another 12 miles at the end of the day. Some have financial limitations and must make sure they won’t have to take an expensive room. Reserving a bed doesn’t force competition anymore than first-come, first-served does. Some albergues didn’t take reservations (not sure if covid has changed that)—if that’s still the case, then there you go, albergues with unreserved beds for those who refuse to make reservations.

Even before covid, I recall stretches along the Norte that it would be wise to book since pilgrim only albergues were few and far between and the area is after all full of expensive vacation spots.

I don’t look down on those who want to travel without reservations any more than those who book ahead. We all walk our own way, and I have enough trouble finding my way without watching what others are doing.

Otros Caminos, típicamente menos concurridos, están disponibles como alternativas al Camino Francés. Todavía hay algo para todos.

“There’s something for everyone”

We’d better stop the bilingual posting, even though I find it useful to practice!

The Codex Calixtinus also advises going from Saint Michel (on the French side of the Pyrenees, near SJPP) to Santiago in 13 days, with some sample days being Najera to Burgos, or Leon to Rabanal, or Palas de Reis to Santiago. Be careful of what you are setting yourself up for if you take it as the be all and end all of how to do a Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think I can’t read the mind or hearts of others on the road, let alone know for sure why they’re on it or what their struggles are.

Some may have physical limitations and can’t just add another 12 miles at the end of the day. Some have financial limitations and must make sure they won’t have to take an expensive room. Reserving a bed doesn’t force competition anymore than first-come, first-served does. Some albergues didn’t take reservations (not sure if covid has changed that)—if that’s still the case, then there you go, albergues with unreserved beds for those who refuse to make reservations.

Even before covid, I recall stretches along the Norte that it would be wise to book since pilgrim only albergues were few and far between and the area is after all full of expensive vacation spots.

I don’t look down on those who want to travel without reservations any more than those who book ahead. We all walk our own way, and I have enough trouble finding my way without watching what others are doing.
Leer los corazones de los demás es imposible cuando lo que late dentro de tu propio pecho es desconocido o extraño. (Esta es la cita de alguien, no la mía).

En cuanto a la competencia por las camas, hay numerosas publicaciones sobre este tema a lo largo de las décadas. Nadie necesita calificar su existencia. Si uno llega buscando una cama y no hay ninguna disponible, alguien ganó, alguien perdió. Por eso es fundamental estar preparado para dormir al aire libre, aunque nunca suceda. Una peregrinación es una aventura.

Reading the hearts of others is impossible when that which beats within your own breast is unfamiliar, or foreign. (This is someone's quote, not my own.)

As far as competition for beds, there are numerous posts on this topic over the decades. No one needs to qualify its existence. If one arrives looking for a bed and there are none available, someone won, someone lost out. This is why it is essential to be prepared to sleep outside, even if it never happens. A pilgrimage is an adventure.

@MichelleElynHogan, do you realise that your English text has been put through Google Translate and gets posted above the English? Is there something in your setup that needs adapting to avoid this? I am assuming the Spanish is machine translated as it is word for word what I get when I copy-paste the English text into Google Translate.

BTW, I recommend Deepl.com. Their Spanish machine translation sounds more polished to me.

Glad you mentioned the Express Bourricot Shuttle - a practical solution if concerned about changing reservations. Does it operate with Covid restrictions?

btw, After months of planning for our first camino, other than the flight to Madrid, we made no plans, no schedule and no reservations and had a great experience. Looking forward to returning to that - post Covid.
Good luck to hopefully wing it this year with a similar experience as you had previously. It sounds like most are having a different experience this time around and pre-planning is being encouraged to avoid potential hassles.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Glad you mentioned the Express Bourricot Shuttle - a practical solution if concerned about changing reservations. Does it operate with Covid restrictions?
Express Bourricot offers their Mountain Shuttle on their website. Only their physical office is closed, everything is done by email. From their website:

Reservations required. In advance by email or in our office (N° 31, Rue de la Citadelle, next to the Pilgrim’s Office, from march 15th to october 25th, from 07h00 to 10h00 in the morning, and from 16h00 to 20h00 in the afternoon) DUE TO COVID OUR OFFICE WILL REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

From / ToRefuge of HunttoRefuge of OrissonVierge d’OrissonCroix Thibault
Tourism office6 €8 €11 €15 €
Refuge of HunttoX4 €7 €11 €
Refuge of OrissonXX6 €10 €

After months of planning for our first camino, other than the flight to Madrid, we made no plans, no schedule and no reservations and had a great experience. Looking forward to returning to that - post Covid.
Erm ... was it this summer or earlier?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Express Bourricot offers their Mountain Shuttle on their website. Only their physical office is closed, everything is done by email. From their website:

Reservations required. In advance by email or in our office (N° 31, Rue de la Citadelle, next to the Pilgrim’s Office, from march 15th to october 25th, from 07h00 to 10h00 in the morning, and from 16h00 to 20h00 in the afternoon) DUE TO COVID OUR OFFICE WILL REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

From / ToRefuge of HunttoRefuge of OrissonVierge d’OrissonCroix Thibault
Tourism office6 €8 €11 €15 €
Refuge of HunttoX4 €7 €11 €
Refuge of OrissonXX6 €10 €

Erm ... was it this summer or earlier?
And this little diagram shows the times of pick up and drop off for the Mountain Shuttle.

la-navette-du-matin(1).png

Reading the hearts of others is impossible when that which beats within your own breast is unfamiliar, or foreign.
Reading the hearts of others is always impossible, no matter how much we know our own. Which is why judging those who do things differently than we do is so pointless.

The OP wants to ensure a bed at Orisson. Fair enough. Even if you don't mind sleeping al fresco, pointing that out is not answering their concern or their question. Which has been answered: Orisson doesn't do email well. Next question?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back