• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refuge Orisson most unresponsive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMac

The Ghost Who Walks
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021… hopefully 2022
I am starting my 6th Camino next week from StJPdP. I have stayed three times at Orisson and the reservation experience was very very poor …
however this time it is the worst.

- I entered a reservation request in their web-based reservation system 3-4 weeks ago. No response at all.
- I went to their reservation website very day the past 10 days, it is permanently “under maintenance”
- I then wrote via their resevation@refuge-orisson …. eMail address, no response since days
- I wrote to the wanadoo email address they list on gronze, no response.

Are they out of business, closed, or just disorganized, or is there some other reason?

Has anyone stayed there these past 4 weeks? Was it full?

My problem is that if I don’t stay in Orisson, my first 4-5 daily etappes will be different, and I would have to cancel the reservations Inhave made for the first 3 nights and replan.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Doesn’t surprise me in the least.
There is a new place opened up apparently, just a few kilometres further on. It’s been mentioned in this forum a few times. Sorry I can’t remember what it is called. My experience of Orisson, three years ago, mirrors yours in some respects, unfortunately. They had a monopoly then. They don’t now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a new place opened up apparently, just a few kilometres further on. It’s been mentioned in this forum a few times. Sorry I can’t remember what it is called. My experience of Orisson, three years ago, mirrors yours in some respects, unfortunately. They had a monopoly then. They don’t now.
Lexicos,
Is that new place the Albergue Borda?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Borda, incidentally, refers to any type of standalone house in the mountains, at least in some parts of Northern Spain. Orisson is still an amazing place, and the good news is that they respond at short notice if there is availability, perhaps not the friendliest of owners, but it is still an unbelievable place. This said, I am trying to figure out where this Borda place might be

Actually, I find it amazing, in just 2 months of business, the place has more reviews than other albergues that have been opened for years... Interesting.

I just looked it up and found it, the new one. It’s called BORDA, Albergue or Hostel BORDA should bring it up. Try them as an alternative. It looks good in the pictures and some pilgrims have posted good reports.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the tip about Albergue Borda. Already booked it, took me 2 minutes :) And it looks and sounds wonderful. Plus I don’t have to change my plans ..hehe.
The Refuge Orisson is a fantastic place too, and their new dormitories (under that outdoor platform bar) are great. I loved staying there every time, one of the main reasons for that was the communal dinner with the detailed rounds of introduction, so you already have 64 more or less familiar faces which you might or not see again and again during the rest of your Camino.

I am just angry and frustrated about their lack of care and responsiveness. It can’t be that difficult, especially when you force people to use a “reservation website”.

I have been seeing similar posts about Orisson since I first saw online posts on the Camino, about 20 years ago.
I stayed there on my first Camino seven years ago, and enjoyed it - since then I’ve started in Zuberi/Pamplona. I didn’t want the uncertainty of securing a reservation. I think another albergue has recently opened nearby?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am starting my 6th Camino next week from StJPdP. I have stayed three times at Orisson and the reservation experience was very very poor …

- I entered a reservation request in their web-based reservation system 3-4 weeks ago. No response at all.
- I went to their reservation website very day the past 10 days, it is permanently “under maintenance”
- I then wrote via their resevation@refuge-orisson …. eMail address, no response since days

Are they out of business, closed, arrogant monopolists, disorganized, stupid, just suck, all of these or is there some other reason?

My problem is that if I don’t stay in Orisson, my first 4-5 daily etappes will be different, and I would have to cancel the reservations Inhave made for the first 3 nights and replan.
I stayed at Orisson my first time, and did not sleep well at all. great experience with the communal dinner and meeting other pilgrims. I have since stayed 2 nights in SJPP, taxi down to hotel and in the morning taxi back to where I stopped. there is also a bus to the Virgin. I'm using the bus to/from SJPP start of sept.

Indeed , competition is good for consumers, I should say at last...

Are they out of business, closed, arrogant monopolists, disorganized, stupid, just suck, all of these or is there some other reason?

I stayed there the 6th of July and they were in business. The guy there was very helpful and hard working actually. I was surprised because I had read so many bad reviews and was going there prepared for bad service and was very surprised to see how hard working they were. Very helpful. I’m sorry you’re having a bad experience. Maybe something changed since. Good luck!

I had a very nice stay at Orrison in 2016. They never acknowledged receipt of payment, but my name was on the list. People were very friendly, food was great, communication was nil. I hope to stay there again.

When the phone doesn't ring, you'll know it's Orrison calling.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I have found that most albergues only respond to phone calls for making reservations.

I've always been told it's best to phone them.

I call them very busy. I experienced the same non response, but once arriving there, everything was in order. Family run and very busy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for the tip about Albergue Borda. Already booked it, took me 2 minutes :) And it looks and sounds wonderful. Plus I don’t have to change my plans ..hehe.
The Refuge Orisson is a fantastic place too, and their new dormitories (under that outdoor platform bar) are great. I loved staying there every time, one of the main reasons for that was the communal dinner with the detailed rounds of introduction, so you already have 64 more or less familiar faces which you might or not see again and again during the rest of your Camino.

I am just angry and frustrated about their lack of care and responsiveness. It can’t be that difficult, especially when you force people to use a “reservation website”.
Not everybody loves technology.

I just looked it up and found it, the new one. It’s called BORDA, Albergue or Hostel BORDA should bring it up. Try them as an alternative. It looks good in the pictures and some pilgrims have posted good reports.
Or try the farm at Huntto about 2 or 3 km below Orisson. Stayed there when I couldn't get into Orisson one year and found it to be very nice. Dinner (repas) is also served in addition to breakfast the next morning and it was very good.
My feeling about Orisson: they operate with a skeleton crew for what they do, and usually, it's the owner or his lead person answering e-mails during off season for requests after they open. Also, I found that their responses could go to spam folders. None of this is necessarily their fault. The booking experience is frustrating, yes, but considering the numbers of visitors they handle, I have to commend them for getting the job done as well as they do!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Orisson, Orisson, Orisson. So much has been written about Orisson in this forum about its communication failings. Have you tried a phone call?

I fully understand, by the description how this is key to planning. But I must ask, if there is any idea of how quiet the Camino Frances is right now? When I have been there, no reservations were needed. Now, the Path is desolate. A friend started at SJPdP 2 weeks ago and up to Belorado, had only seen 50 Peregrinos. Honestly, there is no need for reservations. And there seems to be sufficient flow to ensure that there are enough places open to ensure accommodation.

Finally, let us say Orisson is presently closed. Valcarlos is open. It can allow your itinerary to remain on time. Another option would be to take a cab up to where the path leaves the road at the Iron Cross. Doing this could save a day's walking but the first cielo would be Roncesvalles.

Hope seeing the options is a help.

My experiences with contacting Orisson years ago was the same. Only when I sent multiple requests in French did I receive an answer… a glib one! Once there, I learned from a staff member who listened attentively to my experience, that Orisson in such in high demand that good customer service is NOT a priority. Next time, I will bypass Orisson entirely and do the full climb in one day. If you start in SJPP at 6 am, you will have a great walk up the Pyrenees.

Orisson, Orisson, Orisson. So much has been written about Orisson in this forum about its communication failings. Have you tried a phone call?

I fully understand, by the description how this is key to planning. But I must ask, if there is any idea of how quiet the Camino Frances is right now? When I have been there, no reservations were needed. Now, the Path is desolate. A friend started at SJPdP 2 weeks ago and up to Belorado, had only seen 50 Peregrinos. Honestly, there is no need for reservations. And there seems to be sufficient flow to ensure that there are enough places open to ensure accommodation.

Finally, let us say Orisson is presently closed. Valcarlos is open. It can allow your itinerary to remain on time. Another option would be to take a cab up to where the path leaves the road at the Iron Cross. Doing this could save a day's walking but the first cielo would be Roncesvalles.

Strange Orison is closed as I’ve paid to stay there beginning Sept and good communication with them last week.

€46,-
Strange Orison is closed as I’ve paid to stay there beginning Sept and good communication with them last week.
It's a hypothetical closure, as in let us say Orisson is presently closed then you can walk via Valcarlos. Orisson is not closed. In fact, I saw a videoclip from someone who stayed there last night and left Orisson for Roncesvalles after breakfast at 7 am. Fantastic weather and views today, too.

But I must ask, if there is any idea of how quiet the Camino Frances is right now? When I have been there, no reservations were needed. Now, the Path is desolate. A friend started at SJPdP 2 weeks ago and up to Belorado, had only seen 50 Peregrinos. Honestly, there is no need for reservations.
There certainly is a need for making reservations at the moment. The albergue at Roncesvalles was totally full last Sunday with 140 beds occupied, even the winter albergue was full. The last weeks we regularly filled up to nearly the maximum capacity (which is 91 beds now due to the Covid regulations) and last Sunday we filled up to much more than this maximum because there were groups and families who did not have to keep the required distance, so we could use more beds. Then we opened the winter albergue with 20 beds, some people went to the hotel and even then pilgrims had to be taken by car to Espinal! It is unexpected crowded at the moment, so please make reservations for a bed!

Try contacting them on Signal. If you don't know it, it's an alternative to WhatsApp. They definitely have an account as it shows in my list of signal contacts

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Not everybody loves technology.
True. But then they should set up their own reservation site, expect you to use only that (the owner’s daughter is supposed to be running it), habe it “under maintenance” for days at a time, not read or respond to the booking requests coming in….

They could just use the phone… :)

No need for insults.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No need for insults.
Thank you.

I suspect that Orisson get sufficient customers that they can choose to ignore the communications from those people that they think are impolite or overly demanding.

This seems to be born out by the comments from others here who have indicated that they have recently received replies from Orisson.

There certainly is a need for making reservations at the moment. The albergue at Roncesvalles was totally full last Sunday with 140 beds occupied, even the winter albergue was full. The last weeks we regularly filled up to nearly the maximum capacity (which is 91 beds now due to the Covid regulations) and last Sunday we filled up to much more than this maximum because there were groups and families who did not have to keep the required distance, so we could use more beds. Then we opened the winter albergue with 20 beds, some people went to the hotel and even then pilgrims had to be taken by car to Espinal! It is unexpected crowded at the moment, so please make reservations for a bed!
Well if they had to stay in Espinal lucky them! Hostel Hazei is amazing. We have scheduled our walk to ensure an overnight there once again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, goodness.
Orrison can choose to be responsive to emails or not. During the season they are busybusybusy. On the off-season no doubt they are recovering from that.

Perhaps unintentionally, it's not a bad way to select for patient guests who are not overly burdened by entitlement. 🙃 ;)

Is it just me or am I out of touch but €40 does seem a tad expensive?
Perhaps, but it does looks pretty snazzy. Maybe they consider themselves a gîte (it still being France). I wonder if the €40 is the Demi-pension price (bed, delish dinner and small breakfast).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, €40 includes bed, breakfast and dinner at the gîte Borda, which is the same price range as at gîte Orisson.

People who stay at Orisson range from being enthusiastic about their stay to lukewarm to disappointed. People who booked range from making a quick booking with quick conformation and quick payment to waiting for a long time to no response. Of the later, some had used a wrong email address for the gîte or for themselves or didn’t see the email that was sent from an account called Apathia which is the business name for Orisson as the email landed in their spam folder and they didn’t check it.

Orisson has two phone numbers on their website. They are also on WhatsApp as someone pointed out in this thread, which is new I think.

Their website works and the first thing you see is a floating window that says “we are open“.

If you don’t want to or can‘t stay at Orisson, you can walk all the way to Roncesvalles in one day, go via Valcarlos in one or two days, stay at Hunto or Borda, or take the mountain shuttle to and from SJPP.

Orisson is operational since about 2004 and Borda since about 2021 and before that, during about 1990 and 2000, there was no accommodation between Hunto and Roncesvalles. It is predominantly a mountain pasture area.

I think that sums it up? 😎

Last edited:
Is it just me or am I out of touch but €40 does seem a tad expensive?
It’s one of, now, only two options. It’s the free market.

The ‘Orrison conundrum’ has been as it is for years. It’s especially sensitive because uniquely on the CF it’s been the only option at the end of a logical days walk. The special experience which some love doesn’t compensate, in my opinion, for the uncertainty of a reservation and the motor-transport relay option is not how I choose to start a Camino.

With a €40 euro option virtually next-door which seems to be capable of communicating, I’m tempted to start in St Jean again next time.

€83,-
I love it when we get a response direct from the source! Thank you @Ianinam, it is very useful for members to know this.

Great to see that your are volunteering at Roncesvalles again, @Ianinam, and thank you for letting us know what the current situation is like where you are.

People sometimes wrongly believe when it is busy or quiet where they or their friends are it is busy or quiet all along the Camino Frances which is often not true. Numerous people walk from SJPP for a few days to up to one or two weeks and no further or continue at another time. I have three different sets of friends who did that although I believe one or two of them eventually walked the whole Camino Frances.

A pilgrim who started in SJPP and left Roncesvalles today and whose videos I had watched also plans to go only to Logroño.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've also had the experience that people have said the Camino was really busy, but for me it was not. Both were true, we were a few days apart and that seemed to make the difference. Often people start walking during the weekend, and that creates a wave.

I've stayed at Orisson twice, and not had any problems with booking or service. I've also stayed at Huntto twice (Ferme Ithurburia), and both times the dinner was exceptionally good. The owner was locally known for her superb cooking. But I realise that was over ten years ago!

There is another thread here on the forum which I’m pretty sure is from Orisson themselves explaining their pandemic situation. I’m not going to try to quote it here but if folks use the search box they can easily find it.

I stayed there without a reservation. I understand that people need/want to plan but having expectations (OP) of what “should” happen is just setting yourself up. I understand the whole “it’s your camino” thing but it seems that people want to control every aspect of the experience. Similar to the whole “let’s blame John Brierly” because we chose not to stop walking when we were tired camp.

Sorry but I don’t agree with this let it just unfold advice for people who have never done “this” before, never been to the country before, are maybe jet lagged, are not sure of their cardio vascular fitness level and not sure of their endurance level. They should have a fairly clear idea of their first day out from SJPP. We, too, were offered a place once when we stopped at Orisson (didn’t accept it), so what. It doesn’t mean that everyone who sets out from SJPP today will be offered a place.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's one thing to be frustrated. It's another thing entirely to hurl insults (online) towards a family-run business.
You are right. I am sorry and have changed that part. Would delete the whole thread, however there might be information in the thread useful to others.

Thank you for your candid feedback.

I then wrote via their resevation@refuge-orisson …. eMail address, no response since days
I take it that there is a typo and that the letter "r" is missing in this email address resevation@refuge-orisson

Also, on their website, under the tab for Contact us, they list refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr as their contact email address. FWIW.

If you search the forum for Apathia you will find long threads where forum members, yours truly included, struggle to explain and/or understand how the Orisson Booking Confirmation & Payment system works and from which email address their confirmation of a booking request comes from; it apparently often lands in the spam folder of the customer. The sender's email has apparently changed over the years.

In August 2019, the confirmation of a booking request made on the website and the invitation to pay for the booking came apparently from reservations@refuge-orisson.com. I don't know whether it is some automated mailbox or whether someone actually reads it when a customer attempts to reply. I'd use their suggestion of refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr or WhatsApp or one of the phone numbers listed on the website to sort out any urgent issues.

This is just for future reference as the OP has now booked Borda.

We stayed in Orisson in 2018. Emailed under two different names. We were two. Tried twice under one name, no response, and a third time under the other name, no mention of nationality. The third time the name was very italian sounding. Perhaps they have more reservations than beds, at times, and try to make the community as international as possible? Or perhaps they just don’t read all their emails, and the third email someone read that particular week?
BtW,it was the first week in October that we stayed, and I believe, they closed that year circa Oct.7th. Perhaps they had hesitated because they weren’t sure when they would close? Nevertheless, there definitely seems to be a pattern of inconsistency in them responding to emails that goes beyond their email address.

I also used the refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr for all 3 emails. So the address was not a factor in our case.

Last edited:
Has traffic grown to this as a daily expectation or was it a bubble of pilgrims? As I mentioned, my friend had specifically kept count and had only met 50 by the time he and his partner got to Belorado. That is really pretty thin, and his report came in just a few days ago.

I take it that there is a typo and that the letter "r" is missing in this email address resevation@refuge-orisson

Also, on their website, under the tab for Contact us, they list refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr as their contact email address. FWIW.
You are right about a typo while writing this post!
They have multiple email addresses, as I mentioned in my original post.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are right about a typo while writing this post!
They have multiple email addresses, as I mentioned in my original post.
I must say, and in this I agree with you, that I don't understand their business manners, i.e. if they don't want to reply immediately for whatever reason and take their time, why not send a standard reply that says we got your email and will reply in due course. Like this, one can be certain that the email has at least arrived and has been registered.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Although breakfast is included, If I were to stay at Orisson again during warmer weather, I would leave early in the dark before breakfast. I would but probably buy something in SJPdP to eat the next morning or purchase a sandwich at Orisson which I would save for breakfast There is also a food truck on the way up. Most of the ascent is paved, so with the use of a headlamp, walking in the dark would not be difficult.

Like many others have said here, I sort of agree that Orisson have always been not so great with their booking system. I speak French and I have phoned and they tell you that they only take reservations via their website. I do feel that they could do a little better but I suspect they feel they are so often full... why do they need to bother?

I have booked a bed at Borda for September and the booking process was simple and quick AND no deposit taken in case of cancellation. I think the current cancellation policy at Orisson is just a little cheeky... I know from a friend that the support here by the French Government has been good... I wouldn't book with those terms but that's just a personal opinion.

In September I'll be on the Camino Frances with some walking friends from home here in France and we're staying at Borda and if I go again next year I'll either choose Borda or a taxi back to St Jean. I loved the meal at Orisson... and the environment in the mountains and I understand how great this auberge is for the first night... but they could perhaps try to improve things to help anxious pilgrims booking their first night on the trail. Or perhaps update their booking system so that it doesn't need the two or three step process currently needed. Roncesvalles have a great system... But... having said all of this... Orisson seem to be very successful at what they do... so what do I know :)

In addition to my earlier post: during the last few days not only the albergue in Roncesvalles was totally full, but everything between Roncesvalles and Pamplona was full! So a warning to everybody walking there in this period (many Spanish people are having a holiday week now): make reservations to be sure of a bed!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, after reading all these comments, I feel I have to speak up for the Orisson people, even if it is only me 🙁
Admittedly, I have only ever booked with a phone call. I had no problems. Always found them very profesionnal and what’s more, very nice.(And once there, very helpful, if needed).
I speak French but I am from Paris, just as foreign as you all are, wherever you come from.
Maybe just a few words of Basque would go a long way….
Bonjour (hello) Kaixo
Merci (thank you) Eskerrik asko
Au-revoir (goodbye) Agur
🙂
They taught me those, because I asked 🙂

Last edited:
. I think the current cancellation policy at Orisson is just a little cheeky...
Omg, I cannot believe I am defending Orisson but I feel I have to.
They never used to have cancellation policies - in 2012 I had booked a bed but cancelled it on the day when I arrived at 10.30 in the morning and decided to walk on…. No questions asked.
i think many people assumed (like I did) they would not be able to go any further and it turned out they could, so they cancelled.
Can you run a business that way?
A few years later, it had all changed. You booked and payed, end of story.
i couldn’t blame them, cos I had been there!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, I’m returning to Orisson August 28th as I do my best to retrace my first Camino in April 2008. Will be interesting to see how things have changed, or remain the same.
Buen “Swiss Miss are you out there?” Camino
Arn
Myself and two other pilgrims will arrive that day as well

Well, after reading all these comments, I feel I have to speak up for the Orisson people, even if it is only me 🙁
Admittedly, I have only ever booked with a phone call. I had no problems. Always found them very profesionnal and what’s more, very nice.(And once there, very helpful, if needed).
I speak French but I am from Paris, just as foreign as you all are, wherever you come from.
Bonjour (hello) Kaixo
Au-revoir (goodbye) Agur
🙂
Agreed. I booked (via email + PayPal) back in 2016 and had to wait a bit for a response. However, once I arrived, it was smooth sailing. The next morning I realized I should have ordered a sandwich the night before for the day's trek and panicked. They were kind enough to whip something up for me last minute, quickly and efficiently, all with a smile and buen camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but I don’t agree with this let it just unfold advice for people who have never done “this” before, never been to the country before, are maybe jet lagged, are not sure of their cardio vascular fitness level and not sure of their endurance level. They should have a fairly clear idea of their first day out from SJPP. We, too, were offered a place once when we stopped at Orisson (didn’t accept it), so what. It doesn’t mean that everyone who sets out from SJPP today will be offered a place.
I don’t disagree with you at all. All of the things you mention actually applied to me. And regardless of any planning I did, nothing turned out as I had planned. I didn’t suggest everyone will be offered a place, but I do believe that they set a few places aside. As I said there is a fairly recent posting on the forum about how Orisson was dealing w the pandemic. See below

Attachments

• 2871CAC7-ABA8-4E60-B6E1-1A2E0B5EF2FD.png
    2871CAC7-ABA8-4E60-B6E1-1A2E0B5EF2FD.png
    665.4 KB · Views: 29
I stopped at Orisson for a snack and a drink and walked on to the Virgin. Then I took the Express Bourricot Shuttle back down to SJPDP. The next morning, the shuttle dropped me off at the Virgin, and I was off. I was the only non-French person in the shuttle those two days. This allowed me two days in SJPDP with access to stores in case I needed something. It was my first Camino.

The people at Orisson were very nice to me during my brief visit and I sat outside chatting with new friends on a spectacular day.

I like the idea of a spot further on. I wanted to more evenly split my two days into about the same distance. If I do this again, I would consider the albergue further along, but would probably still stop at Orisson for a rest and a snack.

Here is a thing about Orisson. I have stayed there three times but never booked once. I always went to the pilgrims office in St Jean and asked them if they would kindly book a bed for me in Orisson that night. They ring up and I have always got a bed - even when it is full online.

I think they always keep a few beds (offline) for either walk-ins or bookings from the office , not sure.

Now, this is something you cannot rely on in advance, and I may just have been lucky, but it is worth considering.

Davey

€46,-
As I said there is a fairly recent posting on the forum about how Orisson was dealing w the pandemic. See below
This is the same text that you currently see when you open the Orisson website, except that it no longer says We hope to open the Refuge the 19th of may; it now says REFUGE OPEN !! The text is mainly about how they are going to deal with "deposits" (less willing than in the past to give a refund voluntarily when customer wants to cancel or change dates). Perhaps it's the translation but what they call deposit actually means the full amount that you pay for bed, dinner and breakfast.

Much of the criticism is directed against their peculiar booking system. I guess people who have not used it are not familiar with it. Orisson are apparently ok with phoning for bookings for the next day or two, and of course with walk-ins, but otherwise they demand that people use their online booking system and don't phone. I don't understand why they have made their booking system so peculiar and unresponsive and uninformative.

As someone said, Roncesvalles also has an online booking system which is pretty straight forward. You enter your dates, the systems tells you whether there is a bed available, you confirm, you pay by credit card, you get an immediate confirmation by email, and that's it. Instead of Orisson's multi-step method, drawn out over days, weeks or even months, with no immediate confirmation email and then later a sender's email address that confuses and causes problems.

Last edited:
Omg, I cannot believe I am defending Orisson but I feel I have to.
They never used to have cancellation policies - in 2012 I had booked a bed but cancelled it on the day when I arrived at 10.30 in the morning and decided to walk on…. No questions asked.
i think many people assumed (like I did) they would not be able to go any further and it turned out they could, so they cancelled.
Can you run a business that way?
A few years later, it had all changed. You booked and payed, end of story.
i couldn’t blame them, cos I had been there!
Actually, I am heartened that you’re defending them!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I feel I should also put in a good word for Orisson.

We had a (paid of course) booking for June 2020 . . . they agreed no problem to postpone to May 2021 . . .

When we had to cancel AGAIN . . . they refunded us all (8 separate bookings) . . . and told us to rebook for 2022 later this year.

Other places have NOT postponed and/or NOT refunded.

Can you let us know what Borda was like when you're back.
It will be some time before a Camino is possible - but I'm already checking out accommodation options.
I like that it is further up the mountain, closer to Roncesvalles.

Can you let us know what Borda was like when you're back.
It will be some time before a Camino is possible - but I'm already checking out accommodation options.
I like that it is further up the mountain, closer to Roncesvalles.
There are currently 27 reviews on booking.com

… and further up in this thread 1-2 people have given their feedback too .. sounds very good.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I started this thread only because the booking process for the Refuge Orisson is so extremely frustrating and dysfunctional.

I have stayed at Orisson thrice in 5 years. I really like the place and felt very comfortable each time. Once you are there, the service is fine, the food is great, the atmosphere is nice, the views are beautiful, the family works very hard. The communal dinner is a great experience, especially for first timers.
The accommodation is OK too for a pilgrim (the new rooms under the platform are excellent). It is not an Albergue, but a mountain refuge, where water is scant and everything has to be transported up the mountain.

I regret that this has turned somewhat into a Orisson bashing thread and makes them look bad. I suggest deleting or at least discontinuing this thread now.

——— x ———

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I started this thread only because the booking process for the Refuge Orisson is so extremely frustrating and dysfunctional.

I have stayed at Orisson thrice in 5 years. I really like the place and felt very comfortable each time. Once you are there, the service is fine, the food is great, the atmosphere is nice, the views are beautiful, the family works very hard. The communal dinner is a great experience, especially for first timers.
The accommodation is OK too for a pilgrim (the new rooms under the platform are excellent). It is not an Albergue, but a mountain refuge, where water is scant and everything has to be transported up the mountain.

I regret that this has turned somewhat into a Orisson bashing thread and makes them look bad. I suggest deleting or at least discontinuing this thread now.

——— x ———
Hi Mac... perhaps my post sounded too negative. I agree with you... it's a glorious setting and what they do, they do very well. I do get very frustrated with their booking process and because of that I have to make alternative plans, not because I didn't enjoy the 5 evenings that I've already spent there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stopped at Orisson for a snack and a drink and walked on to the Virgin. Then I took the Express Bourricot Shuttle back down to SJPDP. The next morning, the shuttle dropped me off at the Virgin, and I was off. I was the only non-French person in the shuttle those two days. This allowed me two days in SJPDP with access to stores in case I needed something. It was my first Camino.

The people at Orisson were very nice to me during my brief visit and I sat outside chatting with new friends on a spectacular day.

I like the idea of a spot further on. I wanted to more evenly split my two days into about the same distance. If I do this again, I would consider the albergue further along, but would probably still stop at Orisson for a rest and a snack.
Glad you mentioned the Express Bourricot Shuttle - a practical solution if concerned about changing reservations. Does it operate with Covid restrictions?

btw, After months of planning for our first camino, other than the flight to Madrid, we made no plans, no schedule and no reservations and had a great experience. Looking forward to returning to that - post Covid.

Are they out of business, closed, or just disorganized, or is there some other reason?

Similar experience in 2019; with the greatest of expectations we got there ( after confirming ) but the chap said he had not received my Credit Card ( was going back n forth communicating for months).. so had to walk on to Roncevalles... when you have planned a half and things go balloon shaped it effects your body too ... arrived into Roncevalles limping with swollen knees.. ( no beds)... had to move to the next village ( wonderful Lady who treated my knees and what a blissful sleep).. IF I ever walk again from SJpDePort it would have to be the Valcarlos ( not the Napoleon route). Happy the monopoly is being stirred..! Buen Camino! Te Cuidas!❤️

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Finally, let us say Orisson is presently closed. Valcarlos is open
Just a quick note. My husband and I successfully made reservations for Orisson on the 24th of July, for the night of August 18th via their web site. Paid 1/2 now and 1/2 when we arrive, same as years prior. It did take them almost a week to respond. They ARE open. Who knows, luck of the draw getting a response. We had tried earlier to book Valcarlos who kindly sent us an email stating they were closed due to Covid. Yesterday, (August 6th) they sent my hubby another email stating that they are now open again. We would have preferred Valcarlos, but alas had already paid half for Orisson. Hopefully we will see some of you on the Camino in a week and a half. Soooo excited!

but the chap said he had not received my Credit Card ( was going back n forth communicating for months).
Had the amount been charged to your credit card or not?

With Orisson, it is not sufficient to just provide your credit card details to secure a bed, you must actually pay beforehand to confirm your booking. Payment is through PayPal although you don't have to have a PayPal account but it's another complication for a number of their customers.

Similar experience in 2019; with the greatest of expectations we got there ( after confirming ) but the chap said he had not received my Credit Card ( was going back n forth communicating for months).. so had to walk on to Roncevalles... when you have planned a half and things go balloon shaped it effects your body too ... arrived into Roncevalles limping with swollen knees.. ( no beds)... had to move to the next village ( wonderful Lady who treated my knees and what a blissful sleep).. IF I ever walk again from SJpDePort it would have to be the Valcarlos ( not the Napoleon route). Happy the monopoly is being stirred..! Buen Camino! Te Cuidas!❤️
If other pilgrims are in this situation in the future they can get a taxi back to St Jean from Orisson, spend the night and taxi back to Orisson in the morning.

Bonjour (hello) Kaixo
Au-revoir (goodbye) Agur
🙂
My experience with Orisson mirrors your own, Domigee. I e-mailed them with my details then phoned a few days later from my home in Washington State. The person with whom I spoke was friendly, and when I arrived on April 22, 2017, I was shown to my quarters and made to feel welcome. A great first day on the Camino. So, thank you, good people of Orisson, for making it so.

I think there have been a number of posts about several caminos that beds are tight due to covid restrictions. I don’t think anyone should assume there will be a surplus of beds on any route, especially since this is vacation season and covid isn’t getting any quieter.

is this a reason to panic—I think not, but I also think everyone’s plans/bank book should be able to deal with needing a few nights in more expensive accommodations than originally planned.

€46,-
I stayed at Orisson my first time, and did not sleep well at all. great experience with the communal dinner and meeting other pilgrims. I have since stayed 2 nights in SJPP, taxi down to hotel and in the morning taxi back to where I stopped. there is also a bus to the Virgin. I'm using the bus to/from SJPP start of sept.
I am considering doing the same thing. I understand there is a shuttle too. How do you find out the bus / shuttle schedules….or will the taxi pick you up whenever you call? Which is the easiest / best?

I am considering doing the same thing. I understand there is a shuttle too. How do you find out the bus / shuttle schedules….or will the taxi pick you up whenever you call? Which is the easiest / best?
Express Bouricott runs this service
la-navette-du-matin.png

1/
Get half way , organise the taxi to collect you , go back and spend in a lovely spot in StJPP and return the next day to continue .
Not an extra cent in cost.
2/
Go Valcarlos as we have now on numerous occasions and stop the next day in Burguette.

We deliberately stop at different villages & places before Pamplona
Just increases the reflection on what we are doing.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Snap with @trecile

I think there have been a number of posts about several caminos that beds are tight due to covid restrictions. I don’t think anyone should assume there will be a surplus of beds on any route, especially since this is vacation season and covid isn’t getting any quieter.

is this a reason to panic—I think not, but I also think everyone’s plans/bank book should be able to deal with needing a few nights in more expensive accommodations than originally planned.
My mind keeps going back to the Codex Calixtinus. I never came across a section on reservations, except those of going on such a long journey on foot.

My mind keeps going back to the Codex Calixtinus. I never came across a section on reservations, except those of going on such a long journey on foot.
And I never came across a section in the Codex Calixtinus that praises the supposedly beneficial and liberating effect of not booking ahead. Let's face it: the Codex Calixtinus is neither for nor against booking ahead. We have the choice, they didn't: We can choose to fly to SJPP and book a night in Orisson; they could not do either of the two. 😎

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back