• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Refuge Orisson Refund Policy

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2019 Sarria to Santiago Sept 2019 Logrono to Burgos Aug 2020 St Jean Pied De Port to Logrono
I made a reservation at Refuge Orisson for 26 June quite a while ago. I understand that if the refuge cancels the booking because of the current Covid-19 situation, I'll get a refund but, if I was to choose to cancel before the refuge makes that decision, does anyone know if I will get a refund or do I lose the entire cost of the reservation?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I understand your predicament.
Ordinarily, should you cancel your booking, then you would be hard pressed to argue that you had a case to expect your deposit to be returned.
However, we, (the whole World) would accept that these are hardly 'Ordinary' times.

It occurs to me that the Hostel itself closed the door from whenever it was that the Spanish Government closed all accommodation (I appreciate that there were some hotels left open for people that could not go home but, hostels and Albergues on the Camino hardly fall into that category) on Lockdown.

Hypothetical question. Lets say that the Camino is opened on 25th June, the day before your booking. Do you think it would be 'reasonable' for the Hostel at Orisson to claim that you would you lose your deposit because you didn't arrive? No, of course not.

So, carrying on from that hypothesis, on what date prior to 26th June should Orisson accept that it would not be reasonable for you to arrive. I would respectfully suggest that that date is 'about' now. One month in advance of the date booked.

Suggestion. (Bearing in mind that the Hostel may not be occupied right now) Write to the Hostel. Point out to them that they closed the Hostel due to the pandemic with no date going forward of any restart.
Tell them that it is one month before your booking and request a refund. If you are amenable to such a course of action, accept in your letter that you are prepared to receive a voucher for accommodation to be taken in the future for a reorganised Camino so that neither of you would be out of pocket.

How does that read? Good Luck and Beun Camino (Whenever!!!)

Hi Again,

Coincidentally IVAR the Mod of this Forum has just posted on here that the Authorities have just announced that Foreigners will be allowed to return to Spain in JULY.
Clearly you will not be able to go to Orisson in June and therefore you could ask for your money back.
Personally, I would still write to them and not wait for them to be proactive in this matter.
Further, in light of the announcement, I would NOT offer to accept a Voucher.

I hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I made a reservation at Refuge Orisson for 26 June quite a while ago. I understand that if the refuge cancels the booking because of the current Covid-19 situation, I'll get a refund but, if I was to choose to cancel before the refuge makes that decision, does anyone know if I will get a refund or do I lose the entire cost of the reservation?

Hi, they were doing automatic refunds in April:

I have successfully changed my June booking to a date next year after sending them an email.

Good luck.

I understand your predicament.
Ordinarily, should you cancel your booking, then you would be hard pressed to argue that you had a case to expect your deposit to be returned.
However, we, (the whole World) would accept that these are hardly 'Ordinary' times.

It occurs to me that the Hostel itself closed the door from whenever it was that the Spanish Government closed all accommodation (I appreciate that there were some hotels left open for people that could not go home but, hostels and Albergues on the Camino hardly fall into that category) on Lockdown.

Le refuge Orission is not in Spain but in France.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Le refuge Orission is not in Spain but in France.

Yes. Sorry, of course it is.
However, the subtext of my comments still stands. The Camino is closed right now and I don't see anyone travelling to France/Spain or wherever to go on their journey.
Certainly, on June 26th the OP will not be entering Spain, not far down the line.

What will it be like on 26 June 2020, a month from now ... I think you will have to ask them directly. This is what you currently see when you go to their website:

Orisson May 2020.jpg

I just read on this Camino Forum that the Spanish Government will not be letting foreign visitors into the country until July. Since your reservation is in June, you could argue that you are not able to come on the date you booked due to Force Majeure.

Force majeure is a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic or an event described by the legal term act of God, prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Force majeure is a common clause in contracts that essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, epidemic or an event described by the legal term act of God, prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.
Really, just ask them. The owner seems to be a reasonable man when he is approached reasonably and politely. If the hotels and gîtes in France are open and allowed to welcome guests at the end of June, there is no force majeur on their part. They are fulfilling their contractual obligations when they provide their customers with the bed they had booked. You could spend a night at Orisson and hike in the French part of Pyrenees - plenty of people do that every year. ☺

Really, just ask them. The owner seems to be a reasonable man when he is approached reasonably and politely. If the hotels and gîtes in France are open and allowed to welcome guests at the end of June, there is no force majeur on their part. They are fulfilling their contractual obligations when they provide their customers with the bed they had booked. You could spend a night at Orisson and hike in the French part of Pyrenees - plenty of people do that every year. ☺

Quite right, it’s hardly cause for international litigation; just give the guy a call.

Alternatively try writing down a list of all the things that are not as you might expect right now and unless it makes the top ten, don’t over stress about it.

I’ve got a couple of flights and several nights accommodation in jeopardy, but none are exactly life threatening. The lack of a haircut, on the other hand, is no joke.

I received a full refund from Refuge Orisson. I wrote them asking about it in April - my reservation was for May 10. They responded saying that they were currently working on April refunds and to contact them in May. I emailed them again on May 1 and received my refund on May 11. I canceled my reservation with them - they had not canceled it when I requested a refund.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I received a full refund from Refuge Orisson. I wrote them asking about it in April - my reservation was for May 10. They responded saying that they were currently working on April refunds and to contact them in May. I emailed them again on May 1 and received my refund on May 11. I canceled my reservation with them - they had not canceled it when I requested a refund.

I would like to repeat what I wrote on the other thread, that I am impressed that Orisson is doing its best to refund people who can’t now travel.

They are a well organized private business that has a very profitable niche in the camino market (location location location).

I am more than willing to donate my prepaid reservations to places that are operating on a shoestring, but I would like to get a refund, or at least change of date, to places like Orisson.

They happily changed my reservation for this year (June) to next year (May) when I asked them reservations@refuge-orisson.com
Jill

I was happy to donate my deposit to help ease their losses. My prior stays at Orisson have provided me with invaluable memories and provided the start of beautiful relationships with fellow pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I happened to notice that a gîte/albergue in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - the name is Bidean - announced that they will open again on 2 June 2020. This says nothing about the policy of Orisson, of course, but I guess it is a sign of the change to come very soon ...

a sign of the change to come very soon ...
And again not Orisson but the pilgrim albergue of Roncesvalles who inform on their website:

Ya puede realizar su reserva para estancias a partir del 1 de julio del año 2020
You can make a booking for stays at the pilgrim albergue from 1 July 2020 onwards.

Also in Roncesvalles, the Posada hotel accepts bookings from 11 June 2020 onwards and the Casa Sabina announces on their website that they will open again on 3 June 2020 (not sure whether just the restaurant or also rooms).

Last edited:
I wrote to them months ago requesting a refund for my June reservation. They asked me to write back in mid June, as they were processing earlier refunds at the time. No hassle from them; just wait until your reservation date gets closer. Wait until June and write to them to request the refund.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally I would write it off as a donation.
That's what I have chosen to do - I was told they would refund my April 23rd "if someone else booked" - then everything shut down and I've not had any refund. It's much easier to "let it go"

I cancelled all of my bookings made via booking website. I had a handful of bookings made directly for May 23-29 on the Camino. Only one albergue e-mailed to say they were cancelling my reservation, but I believe it was a place that was not prepaid. I did not hear anything from the couple of places that I did prepay for... Orisson and Roncesvalles were among them. I don't see anywhere an offer of a refund, and I chose not to ask since I know they will be struggling financially.

Establishments with sound business practices, which insist on prepayment, are having their prepayments donated to them. Yet those establishments which allow for free cancellations are having their bookings cancelled with no chance of a donation being given.

I wonder which ones are really struggling financially.

I happily donate to worthy causes, but I choose them, they don’t choose me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I cancelled all of my bookings made via booking website. I had a handful of bookings made directly for May 23-29 on the Camino. Only one albergue e-mailed to say they were cancelling my reservation, but I believe it was a place that was not prepaid. I did not hear anything from the couple of places that I did prepay for... Orisson and Roncesvalles were among them. I don't see anywhere an offer of a refund, and I chose not to ask since I know they will be struggling financially.
I booked both in advance directly with each albergue. Received refund from Edurne at Roncesvalles over a month ago. Will be contacting Orisson in another week for that refund. No has from R and not expecting one with O.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does anyone know what the situation is now. I have a reservation for August 30th but not sure if I really would be better postponing for a year.

I made reservations for 1 May 2020 and requested a refund due to covid restrictions. They didn't give me a refund, but, they held my reservations open for anytime in 2021. This was ok for me since I am walking the Camino. Now I am waiting for them respond to renew reservation of 3 May 2021.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
made reservations for 1 May 2020 and requested a refund due to covid restrictions. They didn't give me a refund, but, they held my reservations open for anytime in 2021. This was ok for me since I am walking the Camino. Now I am waiting for them respond to renew reservation of 3 May 2021.

I donated my deposit to help them out a bit. I want to do whatever I can to ensure that their business remains. I love Orisson and appreciate not having to walk to Roncesvalles in one day. I have also made lifetime friends every tine I have stayed there. If your personal budget allows, consider making donations to albergues along the way.

made reservations for 1 May 2020 and requested a refund due to covid restrictions. They didn't give me a refund, but, they held my reservations open for anytime in 2021. This was ok for me since I am walking the Camino. Now I am waiting for them respond to renew reservation of 3 May 2021.
Did you receive an email from them when you cancelled. I did the same but got no reply from them

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I lost my money, call it a donation to them in these hard times. My flight rebooked for the 4th September this year & I have booked 2 nights in SJPP. I plan to walk 1/2 way up then catch the mountain shuttle down then mountain shuttle up the next day to where I left off & walk from there

That is what we plan on doing as well in late August 2021. Met lovely folks in Orisson last walk for sure but wasn't a big fan of the accommodation. Just my humble opinion.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I enjoyed my 14 hours in Orisson.

Welcome
Shower
Meal
Camaraderie
First Camino "sleep" 🙈
Petit dejeuner (petit)

Move on...

37 days later...

Perspective...

Enjoy life..

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back