• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refuges - Stupid Question (Sorry)

RichaM

Hi all,
I'm starting the Vezelay route next week and (I think) I'm reasonably well prepared. But..........

Having spent quite a long time reading up and reading the forums I still haven't properly worked out what I'm supposed to do to get in to a refuge. I have Monique Chassain's itineraire and it lists telephone numbers. Should I be ringing these in advance or only prior to weekends / holidays (I'll be en route over Easter) ? Or can I just turn up and ask someone ? Do I give an hour's notice or a day's ?

Any help very gratefully received and thanks in advance,

Richard.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm not familiar with the Vezelay route but very familiar with the Le Puy route -- so this is a general response to your question. In France, the French mostly call a day ahead (so - Monday morning for Tuesday night) using their cell phones. That's singles and pairs. Larger groups would of course have reserved well in advance. And that is for the private gites. Municipal gites would occasionally fill up, and then the tourism office would locate other lodgings ... even resorting to private homes on one occasion for a friend of mine.

Easter ... or any of the other upcoming holiday weekends (May Day, V-E Day, Whitsunday) is likely to be a real challenge. First, they may be very long holiday weekends (Thursday through Monday is possible). Second, the French LOVE to go walking on those weekends. So make your reservations in advance for those nights ... now is not too soon for Holy Week and Easter.

Others with more specific experience are of course invited to chime in here.

Thanks Kitsambler,
when you mention Gites and Municipal Gites does the same apply for Pilgrim Refuges aswell ? I ask because I'm doing it on my bike and walkers get preference (in the refuges) when full so if they're likely to be full I probably need to be thinking about hotels.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi rich,
We (myself and wife) have walked the Vezelay route in 2009. Great wiews and very few pilgrims.
the Vezelay route has about a tenth of the walkers than le Puy. But unfortunately also accomodation is much scarcer. Some of the gites available along the route offer four places. Quite a few are unattended and someone is available to came and open it sometime late afternoon. As you read on previous replies, the french sistem is to book ahead, so i would strongly recommend to call now for the Easter period that will certainly be very busy...and while on the route always call one or two days ahead.
One of the greatest experiences we had as far as accomodation were the evenings we spent as guest of some of the Amis du Chemin de Vezelay (friend of the route of Vezelay) they are really fantastic people !
Should you need more details, just ask
Ciao from Italy
Giorgio

I walked the Voie-de-Vezelay in 2007, following the "Yellow" guide.
I had no problem to find "hospitality", but almost always tried to call 1 or 2 days in advance.

As already mentionned in another post, there is very few pilgrims, so the refuges are small and in most cases without "hospitalero".

You will find the key at the "mairie" or some public place around (shop or bar).
At some place I used the "Accueil PĂ©lerin Ă  Domicile": these are private people who will invite you in your home for the night: it was really a fantastic experience.

In some other places (mostly in the south), there is a "hotline" for the pilgrims: you have to call the number and the person who responds will give you a time to be before the church and somebody will pick you up for the night (and dinner in most of the cases...)

So don't hesitate to call the numbers of the guide, there are really up to date.
The latest updates are available on their website.

Best regards and ultreia!

Jacques-D. Piguet

Another point to consider is that you will walk through some "country side" parts of France and you will see villages which are almost deserted.

The problem will be to find shops (or any other food provider).

Don't hesitate to asks the people you meet about where to buy and don't forget that most of the small shops are CLOSED at Monday...

BR, Jacques-D.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
RichaM said:
I ask because I'm doing it on my bike and walkers get preference (in the refuges) when full so if they're likely to be full I probably need to be thinking about hotels.
Yes, and over Easter time you'll probably find many more people on the track. You might be advised to 'phone the albergue, if they accept reservations, to make sure of a bed. Tell them you are biking.
Enjoy your trip!

Hello all,
I just got back and thought I'd answer my own question for anyone who reads this thread later.

Apart from one refuge that had 4 beds and was full I had no problems at all in France either by ringing the day before or just turning up on the day. There were hardly any other pilgrims en route. Even at Ostabat I just turned up, there were 4 others already there and loads of space.

I was on the Vezelay route so no idea if the same holds true for the busier ones.
Also, I was on a bike and going at a slightly quicker pace than those on foot - so I wasn't just seeing the same space every day because I was slotted inbetween other groups.

I didn't get too far into Spain (just beyond Pamplona) but none of the albergues took reservations and just turning up was no problem at all. A very kind Mayoress in one town even let me stay in one that was nearly full and doesn't take cyclists - because I'd walked all day.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back