• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refugio at Manjarin/El Acebo

cathyke

Can anyone give me any information about the refugio at Manjarin? The Conf guide says it is basic - what does that mean exactly? Does it have blankets? (not planning to take a sleeping bag as travelling in July, just a silk liner). Any other info about it? Would you recommend staying there?

What about the one in El Acebo?
Thanks
Cathy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Manjarin

Thomas's refugio is about the most basic on the Camino. Like a garden shed, no plumbing, on its own up in the mountains. If you know what you are about to experience and it is a warm summer's evening you might think of staying there.

Personally I would stay at Rabanal, Foncebadon, El Acebo, Regio da Ambros or Molinaseca or almost anywhere else. I would stop for a coffee and chat with whoever is there though when you are passing by, you can't miss it.

Buen Camino
William

If you can go to El Acebo push on to Molinaseca. They have two excellent hostals and good restaurants.

I enjoyed a day in that small town. You get a nice room, a good shower and, in my case, a day's rest to cure bed bugs... :?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I happily gave a small donation as a small price for not staying chez Thomas - the albergue in Riego is simple and fine and there's a small restaurant there as well - so no need to carry on down to Molinaseca if you're tired

I stayed there; it was a great evening with a doctor from Madrid explaining me the Kabala. But yes, it's very basic. No showers, only cold water from the fountain outside, and you slep on some boards which are more or less loosely just above the main room. There were some foam pieces, not really mattresses. You get up there on an old small ladder. Needless to say that a pee at 3am is a sort of an adventure...

I stay at the private refugio on the left hand side of the track in Foncebadon. I've said it before but I'll say it again... It's a lovely little place!

I'd also recommend the private place in Astorga, that too was a lovely place to stay. Granted, they're both €7 but I don't think splashing out on a couple of nights will break the bank.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last year i stayed at manjarin!!!! \I left from Rabanel a little late, taking my time, when i arrived hearing the music i was captured!!! No running water, outhouse, and there was mattresses to sleep on with blankets and a good roof over our head. thomas made an incredible paella for 14 people, sitting outside on the beautiful table overlooking the mountains. A magical time, the sunrise fabulous. i wouldn't have missed this experience.
dawn

Tomas of Manjarin

Just a reminder - if anyone has photos of Tomas or Manjarin that they can share, I have made a little 'Brag Book' of photos taken by pilgrims to take to Tomas in September.
Also, of Felisa's stop at Logrono and Jesus Jato at Ave Fenix.
Thanks to those who have already sent me photos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've been staying in Majarin. Tomas is somewhat eccentric but very nice and he cooks in the evening for everyone. The room with the mattresses is VERY basic and there are no toilets and no showers. But I can handle that for one night.

I found it a very special place and also a very good exercise in being able to cope with situations you would usually not go in to.

But I can understand that it's probably too weird for most people.

There's also a nice private albergue in Foncebadon (the one with the organic food shop).

10 years ago, in 1997, I had to sleep in Manjarin because the horrible weather. Then, Foncebadon was an empty town without any services or albergue.

If you need to stay in Manjarin because your health, weather or so, stay, Tomas is a very nice guy, he opens his house's door to you, he will do his best for you. But in my opinion if possible it's better to choose Foncebadon or el Acebo.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

i thought of staying in fonceban, however it was only 10:30 and the albergue was not open. When i arrived at majarin and heard the music, and the wonderful greeting, I knew i could not go further. the evening meal was MAGICAL. it is these out of the way places with few people, that make the trail special.
dawn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As an alternative to staying at Manjarin, you might consider taking a flight home, staying the night in the comfort of your own bed, flying back the next morrning and continuing your pilgrimage... :D

I would say that is abit extreme however i do agree with your humor THAT if a place MOVES you, than stay, as it may be an unforgetable experience .
i wouldn't have stayed any where else.
dawn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hallo All

We spent the night at Foncebadon in a Albergue. It was kind of surreal experience. This was a village with a very few houses. And the next day
We were at Manjarin and wanted to meet the hospitalero but he was probably out. We waited for some time and went on our way.

ITs a pity that we couldnot meet him. Maybe next year when we go back

Regards
Bharat

As you say, Foncebadon has only a few houses. It's considered one of the "miracles" of the Camino. Until 1999, only had one person living there, and old woman. The town began to survive when the construction of the hotel, the albergue, the restaurant, and now is what you have known.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I loved Manjarin in spite of the angry geese! It was magicla and all that I had expected and more. I had walked from Rabanal, so not far but I was captivated and stayed a night.As it was raining, we spent hours drinking tea and sitting in the warmthe of the kitcehn, and savouring the atmosphere. i have to say , the ceremony was a bit strange.But the nights sleep was excellent in spuite of snores... Jean

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back