• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refugio Gaucelmo

Gark

Time of past OR future Camino
frances (2005)4
I am working as a hospitalero at Refugio Gaucaelmo. Pilgrims are generally very positive both face to face and in the coments they write in the visitors book.

So I was very surprised to see that Gaucelmo is rated on this site as being below every other albergue on the same etapa. If you have stayed at Gaucelmo please tell about your experiences and rate us on the page

Thanks David Garcia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Refugio Guacelmo is one of my Top 5 on the Camino.
As I have mentioned before, the rating system on this Forum is, for better of another word, weird!
A better system would have been for everyone to make their comment ( good and bad) as practiced on the Spanish Eroski Consumer site. Anne

At annakappa's encouragement, we stayed there and LOVED it.
If you happen to find a small gold wedding band, it belongs to my mother-in-law.....my father-in-law wore it around his neck after his wife was killed - he dropped it there and we couldn't find it, despite looking long and hard.
Anyway, the barn was great, but it was the welcome that really made our stay - and the children still talk about the man who could make them smile there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have just made a quick rating. Tried to comment but Disqus wanted more info than I was prepared to let it have. So here is my comment here.
"Really great welcome here- hospitaleros go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and at home. Bunks well spread out- feeling of spaciousness. Very clean. Loved the huge garden at the back- would have been so lovely to enjoy if the weather had been better! So close to the church where the monks lead an evening service, and restaurants/grocery shop just a short walk- great for resting those tired legs for the next day's climb."

Margaret

Some troll has made multiple entries for quite a few albergues in the rating system, so that the ratings are not much use. It could have been a useful guide for potential pilgrims, but it is pretty useless now.

For example, there are now nearly 300 ratings for Albergue Irugoienea in Espinal. Who even knows where it is, much less stayed there!

I will have a look at the star-system... and may just remove it. Maybe comments would be the best way of "rate" an albergue.

Will also have a look if I ditch the "Disqus" comment system.

Thanks for your feedback!
Ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ivar,

If you ditch the Disqus comment system could you please keep the comments previously written? Many of these are most pertinent and useful since they describe what the writers found when on site. Rating with stars or numbers is SO dicey; how can the warmth of a hospitelero's smile, the shelter of a roof in a storm, or the joy of heat in winter be graded??

Margaret Meredith

Hi there,

I have removed the star-ratings... if I decide to remove Disqus the comments already made will be kept.

In about 30 minutes I will close the forum for the upgrade we have been talking about over the last weeks. Should be back in another 1-2 hours.

Saludos,
Ivar

I am working as a hospitalero at Refugio Gaucaelmo. Pilgrims are generally very positive both face to face and in the coments they write in the visitors book.

So I was very surprised to see that Gaucelmo is rated on this site as being below every other albergue on the same etapa. If you have stayed at Gaucelmo please tell about your experiences and rate us on the page

Thanks David Garcia
One of my favourite stays. Lovely people. Afternoon tea and a roaring fire and beautiful grounds. Fabulous. How could anyone not like it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For better or worse, the star ratings are gone. It could have been a useful tool, but some troll posted a large number of negative ratings for some popular albergues. You can still leave comments, so put your reviews in the comments section of each specific albergue. Gaucelmo is one of the highly regarded ones!

For better or worse, the star ratings are gone. It could have been a useful tool, but some troll posted a large number of negative ratings for some popular albergues. You can still leave comments, so put your reviews in the comments section of each specific albergue. Gaucelmo is one of the highly regarded ones!
Yes, I disabled it since it seemed it was not useful. In fact, if it was misused (which I think it was) it gives the wrong information.. and that is worse than not having any stars at all.

Hopefully we can rely on comments to be more accurate way to measure popularity.

Saludos,
Ivar

I had a great stay at Refugio Guacaelmo on 18Jul2013, afternoon tea, access to the herb garden for making dinner, free breakfast, and a Pilgrims mass at the church next door. One of the best Albergues on the Camino Frances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Refugio Guacaelmo is beautiful and peaceful. The afternoon tea was a lovely surprise.

The Confraternity of Saint James (CSJ) goes through great lengths to keep Refugio Guacelmo (and Miraz for that matter) operated within the true pilgrimage to Santiago spirit. The physical "product" is exceptional in its simplicity, duly maintained and functional for its purposes. The rotating hospitaleros are meticulously chosen, well-trained and service dedicated.
The Camino de Santiago Forum is not a "Tripadvisor" platform.
If any one has complaints to be aired about this Refugio, state the details and make a suggestion for possible improvements to CSJ.;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back