• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refugio Orrison booked!!

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Finally got my accommodation confirmed by Refugio Orrison . . . Yeeeeaaaay!!!
Having taken advice from the good people on this forum, have fought my urge to set off fast and am staying the night in SJPP, followed by a stopover at Refugio Orrison.
I fly out on 3rd May to Biarritz and start my Camino on the 4th. I can't wait to start now.
120days to go!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having taken advice from the good people on this forum, have fought my urge to set off fast and am staying the night in SJPP, followed by a stopover at Refugio Orrison.
I fly out on 3rd May to Biarritz and start my Camino on the 4th. I can't wait to start now.
120days to go!!!!

Hi Frank66 I know how excited you are as I will be one day behind you !! We can finally say 'This year I will walk the Camino' I too will be staying over at Orrison.
Buen Camino and I will keep an eye out for you along the way.
Julie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
120days to go!!!!
Good for you , wish you well and a Buen Camino.

120days to go!!!!

Buen Camino. I will be in sjpdep
120days to go!!!!
120days to go!!!!
120days to go!!!!

Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go for it Frank, I know exactly how you feel.
I stayed in Orisson last September, I found it adequate for my needs i.e. not having to go all the way to Roncenvalles on the first day.\
I guessed it was getting towards the end of the season and that might have explained the not too friendly service.
Take your time going over the top and don't forget to look back often, the views are stunning.

Been Camino.

Last edited:
120days to go!!!!
Hi Frank,
I share your excitement and will be a couple of days behind you and Julie! I too followed the advice on the forum, as I have for most of my planning, and have booked two days in St. Jean to rest and wander about before beginning my Camino on May 7, staying that night in Orisson. Perhaps our paths will cross at some point. Buen Camino!
Jane

Last edited:
I loved staying at Orisson. I stayed in the bunk bed at the "bottom" part, the bottom bunk closest to the door looking out onto that amazing view.

The soup that they serve at night is delicious, you will drink wine, and there will be much excitement for the big day to come. The first five or so kilometers up to Orisson you will work hard, and perhaps wonder if the whole route will be that steep. The answer? no. But you will be put through your paces, for sure.

Enjoy every exciting moment leading up!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I loved staying at Orisson. I stayed in the bunk bed at the "bottom" part, the bottom bunk closest to the door looking out onto that amazing view.

The soup that they serve at night is delicious, you will drink wine, and there will be much excitement for the big day to come. The first five or so kilometers up to Orisson you will work hard, and perhaps wonder if the whole route will be that steep. The answer? no. But you will be put through your paces, for sure.

Enjoy every exciting moment leading up!
I will be sure to remember that bunk recommendation!

I will be sure to remember that bunk recommendation!
I came JUST SHORT of recommending the top bunk gazing out. Not sure if you feel comfortable with that, or if you will be the last one to reach Orisson, or or or! Another consideration for you: start thinking about whether you are a person who will hate being near the facilities. Pilgrims are using them "all night long" as the old song by Lionel Ritchie goes! All night long (all night)....All night long (all night)....everyone you meet, they're walking near your feet, all night long... ha ha!

Another factor that goes into where you should sleep is whether you are a window / door person. Personally, I want to be able to evacuate fast, ad also be near windows. Just a thought!

Frank66 !
The wheel is moving already for you , so you are cruising or flying , can you feel it ?, that depend how you are living this times of stand by before you start walking .
Congratulation !
All I can say to you is Buen Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Wise Pilgrim .. Smart , Very Smart . You will enjoy.

120days to go!!!!
Buen Camino, Frank66. Pray for guidance :)... it helps ;)

Hi Frank66 I know how excited you are as I will be one day behind you !! We can finally say 'This year I will walk the Camino' I too will be staying over at Orrison.
Buen Camino and I will keep an eye out for you along the way.
Julie
I will be easy to recognise - I will be the one frantically searching through my backpack for something misplaced earlier in the day. (More than likely singing the odd Beatles song! ). Maybe catch up with you somewhere along the way

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
120days to go!!!!
great decision! i stayed at frisson on sept 1st 2015...i really glad i split the pyreenees in half, wel i did the straight up section 7kms to frisson, then regrouped and loved the rest of my camino...beilari is a nice spot to stay in stjpp its right across from the pilgrim office and the owner is lovely

Hi Frank,
I share your excitement and will be a couple of days behind you and Julie! I too followed the advice on the forum, as I have for most of my planning, and have booked two days in St. Jean to rest and wander about before beginning my Camino on May 7, staying that night in Orisson. Perhaps our paths will cross at some point. Buen Camino!
Jane
Maybe see you there, Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Frank,
Jane

Hi Jane, I hope to see you along the way at some point. It isn't far off now! How are you going with your pack/weight ? I have been walking with 9kg but would like to get it down to 7.5 if possible but wont stress to much about it if I cant. I am flying in from Sydney so am spending my 2 day jetlag recovery in Biarritz then one night in St.Jean.
Buen Camino Jane !

120days to go!!!!
How did you do that? I think it is time for me to mske my reservation. Leaving end of May.

How long did it take to hear back from them for confirmation? I heard "a while" in the "Finally "

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
120days to go!!!!

Buen Camino, Frank. I will also be just a few days behind you, and am also going to take the advice of other intrepid pilgrims and spend the first night in Orrison. After 2 years of planning...can't believe it's so close!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How long did you wait for the reply? I emailed them on January 1 so it's only been 8 days but I just want to make sure. Thanks! Hubby and I want to book for April 25. :)
They are quite slow in replying - I don't think they deal with emails very promptly 'off season'.
As I understand it though, they deal with accommodation requests for specific dates in date order , so your request should be in a queue (or is that 'line'!)

Does it book up quickly? Should I be making my reservation now for early May???
I heard that places are limited, and as I had decided that I wanted to stay, and knew the date I would require accommodation, I couldn't see the point in waiting.
One of the few variables that I could control on my Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi frank I will be starting on the 26th April. Have emailed orisson about booking for that evening but as yet no have no reply? Anyway Buen camino to you and perhaps our paths will cross.rgds..franco

Definitely; sooner is better. I had made mine in June of 2015 for my late Sept walk and got it just under the wire. They typically take a long while to reply. Good luck, you will love it. Buen Camino

They are quite slow in replying - I don't think they deal with emails very promptly 'off season'.
As I understand it though, they deal with accommodation requests for specific dates in date order , so your request should be in a queue (or is that 'line'!)

Thanks! I just received confirmation for April 25! So excited!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Definitely; sooner is better. I had made mine in June of 2015 for my late Sept walk and got it just under the wire. They typically take a long while to reply. Good luck, you will love it. Buen Camino
Gracias! Just send the email today. Fingers crossed!

I sent an email to Orrison asking to stay on 10th or 11th of April. I gave two dates in case one was already fully booked. They responded a couple weeks later asking to get back to them when I decide on the date. I wrote that I'd like a bed for the 11th. I waited a couple more weeks and received a message describing the lodging, the meals and the price. I wrote back that it was fine and I am looking forward to stay there, on the conditions as described. Several days later, I received a PayPal bill which I paid immediately.

I have not heard from Orrison since then. Have the others received a confirmation after paying PayPal? For now I am assuming that I am in.

I sent an email to Orrison asking to stay on 10th or 11th of April. I gave two dates in case one was already fully booked. They responded a couple weeks later asking to get back to them when I decide on the date. I wrote that I'd like a bed for the 11th. I waited a couple more weeks and received a message describing the lodging, the meals and the price. I wrote back that it was fine and I am looking forward to stay there, on the conditions as described. Several days later, I received a PayPal bill which I paid immediately.

I have not heard from Orrison since then. Have the others received a confirmation after paying PayPal? For now I am assuming that I am in.
Victoria did you check with Paypal? I believe you see the status and history of your payments…..good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Victoria did you check with Paypal? I believe you see the status and history of your payments…..good luck.
Thank you, Maggie,

I have a PayPal receipt and I can demonstrate that I have paid. However, I prefer to have my reservation reflected in Orisson's books and avoid last-minute resolutions. If my process is typical, it's fair enough. However, if others receive a direct email from Orrisson with a confirmation, I'd like to get mine too {smiling}

Thank you, Maggie,

I have a PayPal receipt and I can demonstrate that I have paid. However, I prefer to have my reservation reflected in Orisson's books and avoid last-minute resolutions. If my process is typical, it's fair enough. However, if others receive a direct email from Orrisson with a confirmation, I'd like to get mine too {smiling}
Hi Victoria I checked my files and see that I did request a confirmation and received a 'Payment okay ' from them for a date change I had made, but I had not rcvd conf for my orig booking and wasn't worried as I had the PayPal receipt. I can understand your concern, so you
could email again or or call
33 559491303 / 33681497956 . Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Like you, I have also paid for my reservation for sept via paypal. I haven't heard anything either and I've sent a request for confirmation. Is this normal? Be interested if others have experienced the same thing and how it turn out.
Steve.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
120days to go!!!!
That's nice, Frank! As we say in Dutch "a good start is half of the work". :)
How did you book Orrison? By mail? By phone? I'm coming 4 weeks behind you, so I'm interested also.

That's nice, Frank! As we say in Dutch "a good start is half of the work". :)
How did you book Orrison? By mail? By phone? I'm coming 4 weeks behind you, so I'm interested also.
I booked by email through refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr and once I received an email back saying there was a spare bed on the night I wanted, I paid via Paypal.
Regards,
and Buen Camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gracias! Just send the email today. Fingers crossed!

Hi DJ I am booked to stay at Orisson on 5th May so may see you on the road.
This is my first Camino , I have been planning for about 18 months and now it is only a few months away. Very excited :D
Buen Camino.

I received a receipt from PayPal which I'll take with me. I assume when the money is paid it's my confirmation.
Erica

I wrote to them on January 2nd asking to reserve on April 4 and I got a response on Jan 12 that said:

"At this period of the year we don't know if the weather is good so just call us the day before to know if the refuge is open."

Which is mildly concerning. But I suppose if they're not open or available on April 4 it's straight to Roncesvalles for me!

Alison

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I received a receipt from PayPal which I'll take with me. I assume when the money is paid it's my confirmation.
Erica
Hi , I had a similar experience, and my interpretation was the same

Erica

Hi , I had a similar experience, and my interpretation was the same

I've had confirmation of this. I requested confirmation from orrison via e-mail and they confirmed that once you have paid, you are booked in. It just took a little while for them to reply (closed season). Hope this helps put some minds at ease.
Steve

I had reply from orisson via email but they don't say whether I'm booked in or not? And I haven't received PayPal receipt either so I'm a little confused .How does one get a PayPal receipt anyway?

I had reply from orisson via email but they don't say whether I'm booked in or not? And I haven't received PayPal receipt either so I'm a little confused .How does one get a PayPal receipt anyway?

Once you've paid, you should get an email from paypal saying that your payment has been sent. This is affectively your receipt. It'll have details of the payment on, transaction id and an invoice id number at the bottom. Hope this helps.
Steve

Oh I see, only problem is they replied to my email asking for booking but they didn't ask for payment when they replied. I'm still confused

Oh I see, only problem is they replied to my email asking for booking but they didn't ask for payment when they replied. I'm still confused

Once you sent them a request for a reservation they should send you an invoice via paypal. Pay this and you should be sorted

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I got my booking confirmation for 5th May from Orisson but unfortunately when the Pay Pal request came through I deleted it as spam..oops. I only realized after reading this forum that it was for me to make payment. I have emailed them again asking for Pay Pal details as it is not on their website. Hopefully my booking will still be there by the time they get back. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm waiting for an answer, for april 25. Maybe I'll se you guys, or I'll be walking past :p
I'm waiting for an answer for April 23. Hope I hear from them-- we just decided to walk the Camino last Thursday. Fingers crossed. Maybe I should call?

Did you who got an answer use the contact form on the website or send the request from your own mail? Maybe the website contact form doesn't work? :)

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Buen Camino, Frank. I will also be just a few days behind you, and am also going to take the advice of other intrepid pilgrims and spend the first night in Orrison. After 2 years of planning...can't believe it's so close!
Hi, sorry for the delay in acknowledging your post - not been on the forum for a while. Can't believe its so close now - the excitement is mounting! Maybe bump into you over there. How's the preparation going?

F x

Hi everyone-- I still haven't heard from Orisson. :( I've written twice to them from their website, and once from my e-mail to their e-mail. I called them, but just got a recording saying they were closed until April, and that I should write them an e-mail. :( Any ideas? I've booked a room in SJPP, but would really like to be up at Orisson. I'm arriving on April 23... would they just not respond if they are booked? I did write in French....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

DJKing,
Yes. Try that now. It's a popular stop.
However, if you don't get in. Try not to fret too much. Many people don't stop there yet get to Roncesvalles in one day.
Buen (Orrison or not) Camino

120days to go!!!!

Best of luck, Frank, but Orisson is only about two hours walk from SJPP. It's a nice place to stop for a coffee but Roncesvalles (or Espinal another 6kms further on) is eminently achievable on the first day. I know people who stayed in Orisson but they walked there after arriving in SJPP. I don't see the point of staying in SJPP the night before and then only walking as far as Orisson on the first day. Unless you delay your departure from SJPP until late afternoon it's going to be a very long day. Best have a good book to while away the time!

I've tried to contact them via their website, no answer. Then I sent them an email, after one week I got the confirmation and later on the Paypal link as well. I wrote in English.

My father and I will stay in SJPP the first night. We plan to walk around SJPP the next day morning because it looks like a charming village. In the early afternoon we will start to walk to Orrision and stay one night there. We are reasonable fit and I think we would have no problems arriving Roncesvalles in one day but we just want to slow down in the beginning and enjoy our way.

I've tried to contact them via their website, no answer. Then I sent them an email, after one week I got the confirmation and later on the Paypal link as well. I wrote in English.

My father and I will stay in SJPP the first night. We plan to walk around SJPP the next day morning because it looks like a charming village. In the early afternoon we will start to walk to Orrision and stay one night there. We are reasonable fit and I think we would have no problems arriving Roncesvalles in one day but we just want to slow down in the beginning and enjoy our way.
great plan...the town is just big enough for a little tour...2-3 hour walk to orison...lovely people lovely nights stay!!

I heard from refuge Orisson 2 days ago and I got my paypal link today to pay a deposit for may in Orisson .... took them about 5 days to get back to me.. from original email sent to them
very excited

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just checked the price at Refugio Orrison. It surprised me that it was 35 euros per person. I guess that's because it's not an albergue?

Hi, I got my booking confirmation for 5th May from Orisson but unfortunately when the Pay Pal request came through I deleted it as spam..oops. I only realized after reading this forum that it was for me to make payment. I have emailed them again asking for Pay Pal details as it is not on their website. Hopefully my booking will still be there by the time they get back. :)
Hi, you're probably sorted by now ( been away from the forum for a while). I did exactly the same thing. Just log into your Paypal account and a copy of the receipt for payment will be in there :)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back