• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refugios

rebcha

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if the refugios fill up quickly.. I will be doing the Camino (the French route) second week of May.
Do I need to or can I make reservations at the refugios?
My original plan was to sleep at the refugio that was closest at the end of my walking day.. without pre-planning...
I'm hoping that this will be the normal way to proceed on the pilgrimage..

Thanks,
Rebecca

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rebecca,

I don't think you should worry about this Rebecca. Even last year (holy year) with lots of pilgrims, I don't think anyone was refused at a refuge. Of course, if you come late at night you may not get the best bed, but from what I have heard things went smoothly last year in regards to pilgrims and refuges.

The number of pilgrims will probably start to pick up in May, but I don't think it will be anything close to what it was last year.

I do not think it is possible to make a reservation at a refuge.

Welcome to Santiago,
Ivar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi ALi,
I'm hoping to start at SJPP, may 10 or may 11. I only have a total of 30 days, and would like to start there but am wondering if i should advance a little in order not to feel rushed .
Hopefully I'll see you...
I'm really excited about starting this journey. Everyone seems so Positive and Supportive.
Rebecca

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Albergue populations

Not to worry.

May is not a really busy period for the Camino Frances.
Now summer, especially August, that's a different story.
Here are the stats for 2004, a very very busy year ...

Jan.........696
Feb......1,404
Mar......3,105
Apr.....15,556
May....16,862
Jun.....19,298
Jul......31,896
Aug....45,605
Sep....22,753
Oct.....14,556
Nov......4,410
Dec......3,803
Total.179,944

Buen Camino,

those are the totals for everyone claiming a compostela; 23% were not on the Camino Frances. Plus various caveats: not everyone claiming a compostela stops in the alberghes; not everyone walking the route claims a compostela. Nearly half start in Galicia (70% start W of the meseta), so the further W you get, the more people there are around.

Albergues and all that

Yes, of course. Peter's observations are correct.
There are mitigating factors in how may Peregrinos you could expect to find in any albergue.
Let's add a few more numbers to the mix:

On the stating point, again from 2004:
39,583 in Sarria
20,695 in O Cebreiro
13,108 in Roncesvalles
10,725 in Tui
10,648 in Ponferrada
9,343 in Saint Jean Pied de Port
9,284 in León
6,944 in Astorga
5,616 in Ourense
4,686 in Villafranca del Bierzo
3,253 in Pamplona
3,227 in Burgos

Combine that with Nationalities '04:
Spain 137,163
Italy, 7,670
Germany, 6,816
France, 6,567
Portugal, 3,252
USA, 2,028
Brazil, 1,439
UK, 1,432
Holland, 1,399
Belgium, 1,279
Austria, 1,203
Canada, 1,090
Mexico, 1,001

Putting these two groups of numbers together would lead one to believe the albergue populations would consist mainly of Spaniards from Sarria to Santiago. Add that to the first group of numbers (previous post) and Saria to the finale sounds crowded in August.

Many albergues were stuffed to the gils in 2004. I found one in the middle of the Meseta which was having a slower year than 2003. In Boadilla del Camino there are two albergues: one public, one private. The private albergue "En El Camino" is run by a mother and son, and a lovely oasis in the parched Meseta. Their pilgrim traffic was down from the year before. They believed it could have been from a number of factors, but there it is: you never know.

I have an observation which does not appear in any statistics. Europeans seem to start the Camino on a weekend. The tendency is the weekend closest to the beginning of a month, often their first weekend of holiday. St Jean and Roncesvalles are both popular places to start. If you fancy a larger number of people, start the weekend closest to the beginning of August. I you wish a smaller 'first day' number, a mid-week start in April or May might be to your liking. In any case, there will probably be 'room at the inn' for you. Mainly, have a great Journey, without and within.

Buen Camino,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back