• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

refugios

hilary n joan

Hola!
We will be staying at refugios when walking the camino in late April.
This will be the first time for both of us and we have a few questions.
Thanks for all the info on socks and boots - that has been very helpful.
Can anyone tell us whether we will need a sleeping bag - or will a sheet sleeping bag suffice?
What about bringing a mug and teatowel to dry dishes?
We want to carry as little as possible - what would you recommend as essential items?
What advice would you give us?
Thanks for any help!
Buen camino!
Hilary n Joan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can anyone tell us whether we will need a sleeping bag - or will a sheet sleeping bag suffice?
Late April - I would say that it would still be wise to carry a sleeping bag.

What about bringing a mug and teatowel to dry dishes?
We want to carry as little as possible - what would you recommend as essential items?
Mug and tea towel not necessary unless you are planning on stopping for a brew up as you walk, though if you are used to them why not.
Necessities - ear plugs, mini torch & loo paper.

Buen Camino
William

Sleeping bag

A light weight two season one is pretty essential IMHO Some refugios you are sleeping in have only gym mats with no bedding at all! I used a Vango Venom 150 weighs only 650gm and packs into a roll 12cm dia 26cm long.
Weight is all important I kept my pack to less than 7kg and never wanted for anything.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
equipment for camino

Thanks for your helpful replies!
We are training to carry a reasonably well laden rucksack on hill walks at the weekend. I will borrow my son's Ajungalak rucksack which he uses for climbing now that I know we could be sleeping on the floor!
I have read three books on the camino, but note that there is much more practical information here on this website.
We will try to keep our bags at 7kg maximum.
Any other advice on how we can make this as safe and enjoyable as possible would be gratefully received.
Buen Camino!
HilarynJoan.

Any other advice on how we can make this as safe and enjoyable as possible would be gratefully received.

Try and take things slowly at the start. If you are starting in SJPP break that day into two by stopping at Orrison (you will need to book there). I know it will seem as if you are wasting time but unless your legs are used to continuous 20km stages day after day you will be more likely to strain something in the first few days than later.

Drink plenty of water, especially if it's sunny.

Tarry a while in the bigger cities like Leon and Burgos. It's good to rest your legs for a day and you will miss much if you walk straight through.

Buen Camino
William

hilary n joan said:
Hola!
- what would you recommend as essential items?
Hilary n Joan

I would suggest not to forget the ear-plugs... :D MOST essential!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
there's an alternative to earplugs which i strongly recommend--
take a walkman
spanish radio is great--not balkanized like u s radio and
you can pick up tapes of spanish music along the way
you can take a few tapes to motivate you when you're flagging and
a tape to put you to sleep when you're tired
i took a self-hypnosis tape but
i ended up using a tape of taize prayers instead
worked every time
you can also use xanax or benadryl if you get desperate

Hola!
Thanks for all your replies.
Earplugs are now on the top of our lists!
Should we bring a carrymat to sleep on?
Is equipment (boots, rucksack etc. ) ok to be left in the refugio if you go out after you have booked in for the night?
Buen Camino!
Hilary n Joan

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back