• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refused a bed

Kyle Wood

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2013), Camino Frances (2017)
I'm a pilgrim who was denied a bed at Tio Pepe in Villar de Mazarife because I was traveling with a 4 year-old. First time this has happened in a month on the Camino. Have other people had this problem, too?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a pilgrim who was denied a bed at Tio Pepe in Villar de Mazarife because I was traveling with a 4 year-old. First time this has happened in a month on the Camino. Have other people had this problem, too?

Sorry to hear. Did they give a reason? Because those owners are so friendly and helpful ,going out of their way to accomodate everyone.

Last edited:
From experience in hostels in this country, kids (I don't know up to what age) are not permitted to stay in rooms with adults who are not family members; we were given a private room. Perhaps Tio Pepe did not have any private rooms to offer, so had no choice but to deny the OP beds in the dormitorio.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From experience in hostels in this country, kids (I don't know up to what age) are not permitted to stay in rooms with adults who are not family members; we were given a private room. Perhaps Tio Pepe did not have any private rooms to offer, so had no choice but to deny the OP beds in the dormiorio.
Tio pepe has four person rooms, not massive dorms. Maybe they just didn't want kids about. I've stayed at Tio Pepe and while it was ok, I don't know if I'd do it again. Our whole stay in Villar de Mazarife had an odd vibe to it though. I'd skip a second stay there.

Tio pepe has four person rooms, not massive dorms. Maybe they just didn't want kids about. I've stayed at Tio Pepe and while it was ok, I don't know if I'd do it again. Our whole stay in Villar de Mazarife had an odd vibe to it though. I'd skip a second stay there.

And yes although very adequate the rooms are rather small so that could be a reason.
Very decent food there.

Last edited:
Being a cantankerous old man with very little tolerance the last thing I want at the end of the day is a brat in my space ...............HOWEVER , many people have put up with me and my sleep apnea and snoring so In such circumstances I always remind myself of this - I do hope the owner was at least able to suggest an alternative?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From experience in hostels in this country, kids (I don't know up to what age) are not permitted to stay in rooms with adults who are not family members; we were given a private room. Perhaps Tio Pepe did not have any private rooms to offer, so had no choice but to deny the OP beds in the dormitorio.
I had never heard of this before. On my first C. a couple was walking with their 9 month old and stayed with us in many albergues, including Roncesvalles, when the dorm was in the large stone building.

Yes, I am aware that Tio Pepe has private rooms; my companions and I stayed in one ourselves. Perhaps the OP was not prepared to pay for the cost of the four-bed private room for himself and the 4 year old with whom he was travelling (whom I am assuming is either his son or daughter) in which case my comment about kids not staying in rooms with non-family members could still apply. The OP has been invited to provide further information; until then, further speculation seems useless.

BTW, aside from the fact that I was struggling with tendinitis at the time, I found nothing amiss with my stay at Tio Pepe's. We had to walk through the dormitorio area on our way out in the morning and that area could have benefited from some open windows overnight, but i won't blame the establishment for that. The dinner was very good (in a room full of various sized tables) and their buffet breakfast was probably the best I encountered on the camino.

I had never heard of this before. On my first C. a couple was walking with their 9 month old and stayed with us in many albergues, including Roncesvalles, when the dorm was in the large stone building.
I was speaking of my experience in Canada; sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't know if the same applies on the camino. It would be helpful if the OP would supply more information. However, it was his first post and, if he is anything like me, he might not be able at this point to find his way back to this thread. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the UK, we now have very strict laws relating to child protection and there's no way that a 4 year old would be allowed to sleep in a dormitory with other adults. I'd actually be quite surprised if such laws were not also present in Spain as well. However, not everyone will be aware of them, and others may choose to ignore them.

It reminds me of the situation with regards to overcrowding of albergues, to accommodate all who wanted a bed. That is a thing of the past in Galicia where the rules are now enforced, and the recent reduction in bed numbers in Roncesvalles suggests the trend is continuing.

Those who wish to walk with children will need to be alert to this in the future.

Sorry to hear. Did they give a reason? Because those owners are so friendly and helpful ,going out of their way to accomodate everyone.
I saw it happen last year in two Albergues where I stayed there was a family of 3 adults and 3 children. I never was able to understand what language they spoke. one child ed was pushed in a carriage. nevertheless they always seemed to find a place to stay. At one albergue which I will not name stated on principal they refuse pilgrims with small childern. Because parents let them run around unattended , plus they expect the Hospitaleros to look after them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm feeling somewhat ashamed to admit that as a mother of six and grandmother of 14 that I have had concerns about mountains, dogs, blisters and lack of fitness however that all pales into insignificance compared to the previously un-thought- of terror of being in the same room in an albergue with young children! Sorry...sorry...just saying. I love children but... :(:eek:

Not allowing a child to stay in a dormitory with adults - if a parent is there with them? How very strange.

However, the original poster wrote "a bed". Were you expecting to share a bed with the child, instead of paying for a separate bed for each of you? In that case, I would understand...

Last edited:
I try to remember there are two sides to every story. PAX

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm sorry you were turned away. I have no problem with sharing dorms with children. Children are wonderful. We need them to balance our own old people's outlook. :) I traveled with my 14 year old. I started wanting to walk the camino when he was about 4 years old. I wish I had. Ultreia.

I only had this once when on my penultimate day in Finisterre a young family with a baby moved into the bunk next to me. I was really homesick and missing my wife children and grandchildren so to hear the baby quietly feeding in the bunk next to me was really re-assuring. The poor parents were really on edge and I think they had been camping because of the kids but the weather was so bad at Finisterre they took refuge in the Albergue.. In the UK it would be forbidden for children to sleep in dorms with other adults as we have very strong child protection laws which is good. I think though this is probably a case of phoning ahead to see if the ere are vacancies and the Albergue will take children.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.