• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refusing to be bystanders

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
This just landed in my inbox - and I thought it sums up my attitude at the moment, less than four weeks out from starting my first Camino. It's a quote from Howard Schultz, who started up Starbucks:

“There are moments in our lives when we summon the courage to make choices that go against reason, against common sense and the wise counsel of people we trust. But we lean forward nonetheless because, despite all risks and rational argument, we believe that the path we are choosing is the right and best thing to do. We refuse to be bystanders, even if we do not know exactly where our actions will lead."

How apt for the Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If there was a "like " button here, I'd hit it :)
Really think you will have a great camino!

fortview said:
If there was a "like " button here, I'd hit it :)
Really think you will have a great camino!
Thank you fortview! Those words of Schultz's, no doubt referring to business decisions, are just so perfect when considering the camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
billbennettoz said:
It's a quote from Howard Schultz, who started up Starbucks: “There are moments in our lives [...] We refuse to be bystanders, even if we do not know exactly where our actions will lead."
Great quote from an exceptional entrepreneur. However, many people who didn't know exactly where their actions led are not quotable. At best :roll:

This is so very appropriate! Putting this on my Camino bookmark to read again. I'm targeting Fall 2015! Thank you for sharing with us. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
'summon the courage to make choices that
go against reason, against common sense"

Why you think that walking the Camino goes against
common sense or reason?

Profound quote but...

I can think of a lot of ways this applies to pilgrims.

Pilgrims often inhabit their role fully. They are travelers across a landscape, observing and contemplating and doing all kinds of inner work. Sadly, it often translates to a disconnect with the landscape they are traveling across! Which means they are bystanders at village festivals and processions -- they smile and take pictures, then scuttle off without engaging with anyone. When the bells ring for Mass, the pilgrims cluster together out on the porch, they do not go inside or take part in worship -- which is supposedly the heart, soul, and purpose of pilgrimage!

When they see another pilgrim throw trash on the ground, they say nothing. They keep walking and leave it lying there for someone else to clean up -- they are pilgrims, just passing through. Why make trouble? It´s none of their business. Or they stand by and watch while others clean up the litter or the kitchen, or chop the onions, or struggle with tent-flaps or ponchos. The are observing, watching, keeping out of the way. Bystanding.

I think this may be just a phase in pilgrim role-playing. The longer one walks, the more he comes out of his observer role and into full interaction with the Camino and his fellow pilgrims. At least I hope that is true.

Bystanding

Have you noticed how Rebekah Scott's elegant and insightful posts go very well with coffee and croissant ? Her reflections on humankind's sad weaknesses are lightened by a saving compassion.

Great to see her back on form.

soch

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back