• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Registering your details in advance for compostela

Flog

Non donating member
Time of past OR future Camino
Just to clear up a question which I have asked several times, but wasn't given an answer to, but will answer now for anyone who would like to know. All at the risk of opening another can of worms but never mind, here goes:

Below is the QR code which takes you to the website to register to get your compostela. You don't need to wait til you get to the pilgrims office. You don't need to wait til the night before, you can do it days or weeks ahead if you wish.

I registered, out of curiosity, on the 24th of March, prompted by an earlier thread. I registered again for someone else on the 10th of April.

This morning I checked. Both sets of details came up on the system. So... you can register in advance if you wish. It makes absolutely no difference finding your code on the system if it's been registered 3 seconds, 3 minutes, 3 days or 3 weeks in advance.

Right now, Santiago is relatively calm after the madness of Samana Santa and it isn't a big deal as pilgrim numbers are relatively low, but it will soon start picking up again...

20220406_071635.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would recommend registering in advance, even just the night before. On a particularly busy day last week (either Holy Thursday (just over 2000) or Good Friday (over 2500), i think that the website may have become overloaded by the number of people trying to register at the same time outside the office.
I'm not totally sure as we were working inside but we had a period where >50% of pilgrims presenting had been unable to register. This meant that we had to take those details at the desk slowing the whole process down (probably took twice as long to get thru an unregistered pilgrim)

Have a good stint at the office @Flog! Glad to hear it's calmed down a bit though looks like it's around 1000 a day just now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, you can ask for the distance certificate at the desk, it's always an optional addition
I think that in order to get a numbered ticket for the queue for both the Compostela and Distance Certificate you need to show that you are pre-registered.
It definitely can't hurt to be registered.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that in order to get a numbered ticket for the queue for both the Compostela and Distance Certificate you need to show that you are pre-registered.
It definitely can't hurt to be registered.
Yes i totally agree. What i meant by my comment is that you shouldn't worry about registering in addition for the distance certificate.... Once at the desk getting your Compostela you can request the certificate

What if it is your preference instead of a Compostela and not an optional addition?
Oooh... That's a question for the Pilgrim Office, maybe @Flog could ask. In my experience you occasionally get pilgrims who just want a stamp and no Compostela... In that case their credential is stamped (but with a different stamp to the usual).
I've never come across a situation where someone doesn't want a Compostela but does want a distance certificate. Possible in theory maybe - but possibly not permitted.

Oooh... That's a question for the Pilgrim Office, maybe @Flog could ask. In my experience you occasionally get pilgrims who just want a stamp and no Compostela... In that case their credential is stamped (but with a

It seems maybe the new registration system locks you into a Compostela. I thought I had read from older posts when you just took you turn that you had the option. Will go with the flow.
different stamp to the usual).
I've never come across a situation where someone doesn't want a Compostela but does want a distance certificate. Possible in theory maybe - but possibly not permitted.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2019 I got just a distance certificate. It was no problem at all.
In fact, I have never requested a Compostela. I requested the alternate "welcome certificate" on my first two Caminos, only to discover that the first year I was given a Compostela when I compared them side to side.

In 2019 I got just a distance certificate. It was no problem at all.
In fact, I have never requested a Compostela. I requested the alternate "welcome certificate" on my first two Caminos, only to discover that the first year I was given a Compostela when I compared them side to side.
This was my understanding but it appears that when you register to attend the Pilgram Office you are registering for your Compostela. Possibly you can request only the distance certificate once your admitted.

Pilgrims used to write their details on a sheet of paper at the desk, to be entered on the system by the staff member immediately afterwards. Many people have poor or illegible handwriting, or are too lazy or too dopey to fill in their details on the inside cover of their credential, and this would dump the extra workload onto the staff members who had to decipher it.

So nowadays you pre-register your details to expedite the process for all, to move everybody along more quickly. That's why the security guy wants to see your code, to see you've registered before you come into the building. This was all planned long before anyone ever heard of covid.

Your details are registered on the system for PO statistics and for the purpose of keeping a record should you lose your certificate and need to get a replacement.

If you decide you don't want a compostela, and just want a distance certificate, that's fine, but you still need to pre-register like everyone else and you will be included as a statistic anyway.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am trying to register on the website and can’t seem to find America or United State under ‘Nationality’. Am I the only one not seeing the USA the Nationality field ?!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I got my compostela last week, and the process (almost) couldn't have been easier. Registered online the day we arrived, and headed to the PO the next morning. Showed the guy at the door my number, and he sent me on to the office downstairs to get my line number. Honestly, that was the only part that didn't make the most sense, but I guess they have to work with the spaces they have. After I got my line number, I asked that guy how long he thought we'd be waiting, and he looked at the current number and said it would probably be an hour. So we headed to the cathedral for candle-lighting and prayer, and checked via the QR code after about 50 minutes, and it was time to head back. Our numbers were called shortly after we got back, and we were in and out in no time at all. Much easier than previous experiences.

There were quite a few pilgrims milling around outside, trying to get the QR code to work for them so they could fill in the information, and I saw some frustration - if you have the opportunity to take care of this during your own downtime, it will be a calmer experience for you, or at least it was for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As an English person I can look under E, I, G, B and U and not find my country. Reino Unido starts with R. I have helped pilgrims in Santiago a few times with that one.

The dropdown menus have not (yet) been translated from Spanish into the seven other language versions of the webpage for registration of your data for a Compostela that pilgrims can choose from.

A majority of pilgrims who cannot read Spanish can guess their country of nationality because they will be from Europe and the names of their countries sound similar in European languages: Ireland is Irlandia, France is Francia, Italy is Italia, Portugal is Portugal, Switzerland is Suiza. The Germans with their Deutschland are used to seeing Germania or Allemagne as the name of their country, and some may even know that it is called Niemcy and Saksa by their Polish and Finnish neighbours. For the Compostela registration, they are in luck: it is Alemania in Spanish. Estados Unidos for the USA and Reino Unido for the United Kingdom is perhaps the greatest hurdle for foreign pilgrims ...

What I do wonder: Once you picked your nationality from the Spanish menu option, how do you then manage to pick your profession from the Spanish list? 🤔🤭

Last edited:
This is the new "Page 2" of the updated Credential from the pilgrims office. As you can see they are now encouraging you to register directly from the credential and then write down the code that is then later been generated after you register.

(The photo below is of the dark credential, the Holy Year credential does not have this)

IMG_4574.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had a hard time to find USA from the list when I registered at Pilgrim Office. Someone told me to use “Estados Unidos,” which is USA in Spanish; it worked, bit ot took a time to find.😵‍💫

€83,-
Just to clear up a question which I have asked several times, but wasn't given an answer to, but will answer now for anyone who would like to know. All at the risk of opening another can of worms but never mind, here goes:

Below is the QR code which takes you to the website to register to get your compostela. You don't need to wait til you get to the pilgrims office. You don't need to wait til the night before, you can do it days or weeks ahead if you wish.

I registered, out of curiosity, on the 24th of March, prompted by an earlier thread. I registered again for someone else on the 10th of April.

This morning I checked. Both sets of details came up on the system. So... you can register in advance if you wish. It makes absolutely no difference finding your code on the system if it's been registered 3 seconds, 3 minutes, 3 days or 3 weeks in advance.

Right now, Santiago is relatively calm after the madness of Samana Santa and it isn't a big deal as pilgrim numbers are relatively low, but it will soon start picking up again...

View attachment 123161
Can you send it as a link please as I only have my phone on Camino and therefore can’t access a QR code. Tx

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

hi there. How do you check that you are registered, please?

We registered each of us today and only received one email. We don’t know which one of us it is for…..

Thanks in advance 😊

When I pick starting point it does not have Bayonne as a choice. St Jean would be the next. If I pre register and choose St Jean does that mean that my Compostela will say that. I would very much like my actual starting point registered. Thanks to all for your help 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I pre register and choose St Jean does that mean that my Compostela will say that. I would very much like my actual starting point registered. Thanks to all for your help 😊
The Compostela does not mention your starting point or the distance you travelled. Just your name and the date it was issued. You can ask for a distance certificate which does name your starting point and distance walked

View attachment 123161
So how does that work?
I just registered and got the bar code and now what:)? Do I waitt in line at the pilgrims office ris there a seperate laine for the preregistered pilgrims. What is the purpos of preregistering?

So how does that work?
I just registered and got the bar code and now what:)? Do I waitt in line at the pilgrims office ris there a seperate laine for the preregistered pilgrims. What is the purpos of preregistering?
When you get to the Pilgrim Office, you show the barcode to the attendant at the door, who will then issue you a queue slip - another barcode - that establishes your place in the queue. Then watch for that number to be called and go to the station that will be identified on the monitor in the corridor or the waiting room. Once there, the volunteer will scan the first barcode to bring up the details you entered when you registered, check that these are correct, make any adjustments that might be needed, check your credential, and then proceed to print your Compostela and distance certificate. Once the Compostela is printed, they will explain that your name has been translated to Latin for the Compostela, and the distance on the distance certificate is the official distance from your starting point.

After that, you will need to pay at the checkout if you got a distance certificate, and of course for any other memorabilia you might wish to buy from the shop. I also always get a mailing tube at this point because I don't want to crumple either the Compostela or distance certificate in my pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When you get to the Pilgrim Office, you show the barcode to the attendant at the door, who will then issue you a queue slip - another barcode - that establishes your place in the queue. Then watch for that number to be called and go to the station that will be identified on the monitor in the corridor or the waiting room. Once there, the volunteer will scan the first barcode to bring up the details you entered when you registered, check that these are correct, make any adjustments that might be needed, check your credential, and then proceed to print your Compostela and distance certificate. Once the Compostela is printed, they will explain that your name has been translated to Latin for the Compostela, and the distance on the distance certificate is the official distance from your starting point.

After that, you will need to pay at the checkout if you got a distance certificate, and of course for any other memorabilia you might wish to buy from the shop. I also always get a mailing tube at this point because I don't want to crumple either the Compostela or distance certificate in my pack.
Now, that is what I call a full answer! THANK YOU!

View attachment 123161
ok, I just registered. Do i just take it with me to the pilgrims office? About how long does it take to get it then?

ok, I just registered. Do i just take it with me to the pilgrims office? About how long does it take to get it then?
See my post four above (#36). You will be let in immediately, but its impossible to tell how long the queue will be at the time you arrive. Earlier this year, it was only a matter of minutes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When you arrive, the quard scan theQr code and gives you a ticket.
You get in and wait till your number come up on the screan in the corridor.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back