Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
'Copyright to forum posts and other information become the property of the forum'

Hello Ivar, I'm not sure what the implications are of this statement. Could you explain a little? I have been writing on this Forum since Sept 2009. I don't remember reading about Copyright on the Forum way back then when I joined. Does this mean that If I were to publish any of my photos and/or written contributions to the Forum from 2009-2012 I would have a legal obligation here? I haven't published anything before so I don't know what Copyright actually entails.

Yours sincerely,
Lovingkindness

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Lovingkindness - I think the wording does need to be clarified

I assume what Ivar means is that the ownership of the material posted I.e. views, information and photos remains with the original poster but that the forum and its users have the right to use anything posted.

I'd have no problem with that.

John

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,

Yes, I agree that the text should be changed. Here is what I am thinking, and this topic is complicated, and I am open for ideas/feedback. But here is my idea:

Each user owns the content that they contribute with. But that the forum (me) owns is the conversation. What do I mean by that? In a thread there might be 10 contributors that makes up a conversation. Each one of them owns their contribution, but I would like to be able to have the right to use the whole conversation.

I think the value in the forum is in the conversations... each post is important, but the conversation is what gives it real value.

So you may ask, what am I thinking of doing with these conversations? For now, nothing. But I realize that the conversations in the forum is becoming more and more valuable, and I would hate for some 3rd party coming along and copying our conversations and selling it somewhere. If we have not stated an owner, it would be easier to do. If someone takes ownership, it would be legally more problematic.

I am not a lawyer and I do not know much about legal issues, but I wanted to protect what we have created here in the forum. ..and this whole "who owns the stuff you post online" conversation is complicated.

If anyone have ideas for the wording that would fit, please feel free to post it here. :) ..or any other feedback/idea/comment...

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Dear Ivar and Johnny Walker, I would like to thank you both for your replies and your immense goodwill. Participating in this Forum has taught me much.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

D

Deleted member 3000

From Public Domin Sherpa:
Posting a video to YouTube puts it in the public domain.

No, it doesn’t. People seem to think that because the public can access videos on YouTube, for free, the vids are in the public domain. (I suppose this follows from the “everything on the Internet is public domain” misconception.) They’re in a public space, true, and people don’t have to pay to see them, but that doesn’t affect copyright.

You do in fact retain copyright in your video when you post it to YouTube (that would be your video, not your Stephen Colbert clip). But by posting it you grant YouTube a license to do pretty much whatever it wants with your work. That includes sublicensing it to others and modifying it (making derivative works). The license terminates within “a commercially reasonable time” once you remove your work from the YouTube site. And you still own the copyright.
The Forum is similarly situated. The original poster has an automatic copyright subject to the fair use doctrines. There are international copyright agreements, but it is not clear where a copyright violation could be pursued as it relates to the Forum. Posting information that you wish to protect as copyright material is not a good idea, but I am not sure that I have seen anything on the Forum worthy of a copyright! If photos are your concern, keep them private. Fair use doctrines probably cover using a single photo for non-commercial purposes.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
As I understand it there are two ways of claiming copyright.
One is to have actual copyright, which can be recorded for legal purposes - parts of our own website are covered by this, including the tree logos we use here as our avatars.
The other is Creative Commons Licence - which basically means that if you post it you own it. It can also mean that Ivar can use it, as by posting here you give that consent, but that would be for non-commercial use.
However there would need to be a statement page, I think, with a © yyyy - yyyy sign as a link at the bottom of each page. That is helpful anyway as it makes it clear to outsiders that the content is not for public/commercial use.

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
This is a good issue to get thrashed out now, before some bright bulb reformats the content into a commercial book and sells the darned thing.

D

Deleted member 3000

before some bright bulb re-formats the content into a commercial book and sells the darned thing.
That would clearly be a copyright violation, and result in full employment for several attorneys!! Even taking an entire discussion thread would be a clear copyright violation, but there would be fewer litigants!! :D

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Go for it Ivar, with the link at the bottom of each page under your name :)

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Francés (2004.SJPP-SdC-Finisterre)(1998-2012 completed in sections). Norte (2006.122km) Inglés (2009)
Ivar is right to protect his own interests and I recognise that I own everything I post.

However as recent court cases in the US proves it is very difficult to protect your rights. See those who tried to sue Dan Brown and J K Rowlings attempt to stop the publication of a Harry Potter encyclopedia.

In Britain Ryan Giggs wanted to sue people who posted on Twitter his name in relation to an affair he was having. When he found that 75,000 people were involved he had to give up.

By all means do your best to protect your rights but what I assume is that once I have posted something on the Internet I have put it into a public domain where anyone can use it and I will receive nothing for it.

There have been times when I haev not fully spelt out some of my thinking because I might want to use it for articles in the CSJ journal and do not want anyone else to get it into print first.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Thanks Ivar. Nice and clear for all, both members and non-members
:)

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources