• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rehydration and electrolytes on the Camino Portugues

Yodapsy

Rob Blinn
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2013, Planning July 2018 Camino Portugues.
When we did the CF in 2013, we often drank Aquarius (similar to Gatorade but seems less sweet) which was readily available almost everywhere. Is Aquarius available on the Camino Portugues. If not, is there a Portuguese equivalent?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Yodapsy,

Yes you can find Aquarius in the supermarket in Portugal or a label call Isostar.

Bom Caminho

I have always liked Aquarius. Last year I used Electrolyte drink tablets. They dissolve in water and come in a variety of flavours. You can get them from most outdoor shops. Very refreshing and helps you along.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Except that the water that you dissolve the ORS tablet in is very likely to have come from a plastic bottle as well!
Agreed, but I can make a 750ml Evian plastic bottle (slightly stronger) last all the way from SJPP to SdC over 5 weeks whereas a bottle of Aquarius a day over 35 days is, er 35 bottles.
Oh, and I refill from fuentes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I normally have my 750ml plastic bottle for my ORS tablets and a Camelbak. Sadly we all tend to use too much plastic, but if we all aware of the impact on the environment that will go a long way.
Does anyone use ORS tablets in their hydration bladder bag ? I feel it may leave a tainted taste in the hydration bag. I could be totally wrong.......it has been known .

Can you buy these tablets in Spanish pharmacies or where?

Can you buy these tablets in Spanish pharmacies or where?
Where do you live? You can probably find ORS tablets in pharmacies in your home country, as well as sporting goods outlets like Decathlon.

Failing that you can always make your own - it's just clean water, some sugar (preferably unrefined as it has more potassium), some salt and some fruit juice (your choice for flavour - citrus fruits works best for me).

Numerous "recipes" on the web. I go for

1531311738901.png

but I substitute one cup of orange juice for one of the cups of water.

But the tablets are more convenient to use.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I normally have my 750ml plastic bottle for my ORS tablets and a Camelbak. Sadly we all tend to use too much plastic, but if we all aware of the impact on the environment that will go a long way.
Does anyone use ORS tablets in their hydration bladder bag ? I feel it may leave a tainted taste in the hydration bag. I could be totally wrong.......it has been known .
I used to use a bladder - the original Platypus ones - but found them hard to keep clean so I swallowed my pride and use one of the longer lasting bottles (Evian seems to be best) and a Smartube straw.

Where do you live? You can probably find ORS tablets in pharmacies in your home country, as well as sporting goods outlets like Decathlon.

Failing that you can always make your own - it's just clean water, some sugar (preferably unrefined as it has more potassium), some salt and some fruit juice (your choice for flavour - citrus fruits works best for me).

Numerous "recipes" on the web. I go for

View attachment 44479

but I substitute one cup of orange juice for one of the cups of water.

But the tablets are more convenient to use.

Thank you - the recipe confirms my biggest issue here, which I was hoping to circumvent with some mineral/electrolyte tablets. (I'm In Aus). I have to avoid sugar as much as I can , I'm doing an internet search for alternatives at the moment,I think I need to be prepared.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

No, don’t. It gets the tube all gummed up.

We were able to buy this at the Farmacy. It worked great. I bought one plastic bottle and used it to mix up the electrolytes on the whole Camino Francés. I used tap water from albergues or the fonte’s as necessary. Not all stores carried this brand but in larger towns I found it. Also was offered a “Performance” brand product but it had less minerals.
We were able to buy this at the Farmacy. It worked great. I bought one plastic bottle and used it to mix up the electrolytes on the whole Camino Francés. I used tap water from albergues or the fonte’s as necessary. Not all stores carried this brand but in larger towns I found it. Also was offered a “Performance” brand product but it had less minerals.
brand name Flec To Min

I took EmergenC’s hydration packets along and added one to liter of water every day. Very light and cheap; I think I had a packet of 20 or so. Also bought Aquilea Magnesio+Potasio tablets at a Farmacia in Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"Glucose, sodium citrate, natural lemon powder, potassium citrate, magnesium citrate, citric acid, calcium phosphate, sweeteners: sodium cyclomate, sodium saccharin."

So sweetners, lemon flavouring so it doesn't taste too nasty and some salts then ;)

I think the dopping is a spelling mistake

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back