• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

rejected US Cellphone for Booking Pamplona Taxi on Line

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: July 2021, April 2023, May 2024
I've tried a bunch of permutations of my US cell phone number on the online reservation form for ttps://reservas.taxipamplona.com. I've added 01 alone and with a + sign, I've added spaces and removed spaces but it's not accepting any of the options I've tried. Do I need a Spain cell phone number or do you have suggestions?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've tried a bunch of permutations of my US cell phone number on the online reservation form for ttps://reservas.taxipamplona.com. I've added 01 alone and with a + sign, I've added spaces and removed spaces but it's not accepting any of the options I've tried. Do I need a Spain cell phone number or do you have suggestions?

My first thought is: Does your current cell phone plan allow for international calls? On the Caminos I've done, using either T-Mobile or Verizon, I have had to add to, or change, the individual plan I was subscribed to in America so that I could send and receive calls to European and US phone numbers.

My first thought is: Does your current cell phone plan allow for international calls? On the Caminos I've done, using either T-Mobile or Verizon, I have had to add to, or change, the individual plan I was subscribed to in America so that I could send and receive international calls.
Yes, I've added an international calling plan through Verizon. Right now, I'm just trying to input my cell number into their online reservation system and no luck. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Where it says: NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO, you see the number +34 followed by a small triangle. Did you click on the triangle? You will see a drop-down menu with a list of countries. Scroll down and pick the United States. You will now see that the line where you enter your phone number starts with a small symbol showing the American flag, followed by +1. Enter you phone number (I believe without leading zero).

Where it says: NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO, you see the number +34 followed by a small triangle. Did you click on the triangle? You will see a drop-down menu with a list of countries. Scroll down and pick the United States. You will now see that the line where you enter your phone number starts with a small symbol showing the American flag, followed by +1. Enter you phone number (I believe without leading zero).
I'm using Google and there's no drop down menu. I will try other browsers to see if it appears. Many, many thanks!

I'm using Google and there's no drop down menu. I will try other browsers to see if it appears. Many, many thanks!
Are you using a browser that is set to automatic translation from Spanish into English? This often causes the error that you describe.

Use the English version of the website https://reservas.taxipamplona.com. You have a choice of languages on the start page, top left: ES (Spanish) EN (English) EUS (Basque).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you using a browser that is set to automatic translation from Spanish into English? This often causes the error that you describe.

Use the English version of the website https://reservas.taxipamplona.com. You have a choice of languages on the start page, top left: ES (Spanish) EN (English) EUS (Basque).
Thanks very much, Kathar1na. It didn't work for me but I'm still trying. Appreciate it.

My last offer :): Use this url https://reservas.taxipamplona.com/en/

Best of luck and Buen Camino!
I tried booking from Norway (EU). Did not work here either. The English startpage (personal details) sends you off to (next page) Contact Details, and that page is is Spanish. It won't accept a Norw. number. Seems it only accepts Spanish numbers?

Sorry about that, @awunderli ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried booking from Norway (EU). Did not work here either. The English startpage (personal details) sends you off to (next page) Contact Details, and that page is is Spanish. It won't accept a Norw. number. Seems it only accepts Spanish numbers?
Then it must be a browser issue. Safari on MacOS here. No problems entering US phone numbers or Norwegian phone numbers (starting with +1 and +47 respectively) and reaching the page with the summary of the order.

Hi, pls check with verizon if data roaming is allowed for your phone and if it is, if its capped already meaning you reached your data limit for the month. if clearly you have internet right now, then clear history and cache of your browser or reset the settings for default for your browser. if part of the page is still not working, have somebody use their phone and access the same url and also if you can, use a desktop computer in accessing the same page. hope this helps

I suppose the problem could be that they want a phone number they can call for free, and your personal international calling plan probably covers your calls to them, but not their calls to you. Perhaps they can call some countries in Europe for free (so those numbers are acceptable), but not the US and Norway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When you are already in Spain and Taxi Fermin calls your number, whether it starts with +34 for Spain, +1 for the US or +47 for Norway, makes no difference to their cost of the call. The charges are the same for them. They want your phone number to be able to contact you if necessary.

When you are already in Spain and Taxi Fermin calls your number, whether it starts with +34 for Spain, +1 for the US or +47 for Norway, makes no difference to their cost of the call. The charges are the same for them. They want your phone number to be able to contact you if necessary.
technically, it does matter. When your calls are routed to a different PLMN, carriers might charge each other tolls especially when they use gateway exchanges. Even newer protocols like SIP or VoIP which uses less resources can still charge cheaper rates but if there are roaming agreements between different carriers in different countries are in place just like what T-Mobile is doing to some of their plans then it could be free at a certain point.

I guess what Taxi Fermin wants to address is to get rid of potential charges that they may incur if they dial some international country codes if they dial those numbers.

I used Chrome (MacOS) and tried to reproduce your problem and I can't, no matter what I try. I can always choose the country code, and then enter a phone number. The system doesn't check what kind of plan you have. This is what I see, and what the developer wants you to see, too, when I click on the small triangle to access the drop down menu:

Fermin website.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is there a Safari MacOS user in the US who can check whether it works for them? This would be the first step to pinpoint the problem.

I'm stateside, i just tried +1-xxx-yyy-zzzz is an invalid entry. the webpage is designed to accept only certain country codes.

The other way to solve the problem is to email your request to info@taxipamplona.com, including the same details as those required on the website.

Note that it says on the website that online bookings can only be made within a fixed timeframe: at least 5 days before your chosen date and only up to 30 days before your chosen date.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Success! I finally managed to mess it up to the extent that I can no longer enter phone numbers. Everything is rejected as invalid, even Spanish phone numbers. It's not the website. It's the browser settings.

Success! I finally managed to mess it up to the extent that I can no longer enter phone numbers. Everything is rejected as invalid, even Spanish phone numbers. It's not the website. It's the browser settings.
Thanks so much for all of your efforts! I tried in Chrome and via Explorer. I emailed them to explain the situation. I'll also call if I don't hear back.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The other way to solve the problem is to email your request to info@taxipamplona.com, including the same details as those required on the website.

Note that it says on the website that online bookings can only be made within a fixed timeframe: at least 5 days before your chosen date and only up to 30 days before your chosen date.
I arrive in Madrid 7/10 so was hoping for a taxi that night to SJPP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Sorry about that, @awunderli ...
Thanks so much for giving it a whirl -- much appreciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, pls check with verizon if data roaming is allowed for your phone and if it is, if its capped already meaning you reached your data limit for the month. if clearly you have internet right now, then clear history and cache of your browser or reset the settings for default for your browser. if part of the page is still not working, have somebody use their phone and access the same url and also if you can, use a desktop computer in accessing the same page. hope this helps
I will have an international plan in place with Verizon when I land on 7/9 in Madrid. Right now, I'm trying to just type in my cell phone number on their reservation portal and haven't been able to do that. Thanks for this info, though. It will come in handy :)

Hi peregrina! My two cents as a Spaniard, you should be able to get a taxi on the spot, normally, even for a 400 mile ride to a foreign country, as it would be SJPP. Are you really sure you want to do Madrid to SJPP by taxi? Maybe I did not understand correctly, though

Hi peregrina! My two cents as a Spaniard, you should be able to get a taxi on the spot, normally, even for a 400 mile ride to a foreign country, as it would be SJPP. Are you really sure you want to do Madrid to SJPP by taxi? Maybe I did not understand correctly, though
Hello and thank you very much! No, I'd be taking the taxi from Pamplona to SJPP -- happy to ride with others. I thought of reserving because the hotel operator in SJPP is going to hang around for my late arrival and I wanted to be able to give him an estimated time. I appreciate your expertise and help.

I arrive in Madrid 7/10 so was hoping for a taxi that night to SJPP.
Had you considered getting a train or bus? I would have thought a taxi more than a little bit expensive for that journey. Even if you only got the train to Pamplona it would get you a lot closer.
Edit
Ah, just seen your clarification. Even so that's a long day travelling.

Last edited:
Had you considered getting a train or bus? I would have thought a taxi more than a little bit expensive for that journey. Even if you only got the train to Pamplona it would get you a lot closer.
Hi Barbara, I'm taking a train from Madrid to Pamplona but don't arrive in time to take a bus from Pamplona to SJPP, hence the taxi. Happy to share it if there are others in the area. If you know of other options from Pamplona, I'm all ears! Thanks.

Hi Barbara, I'm taking a train from Madrid to Pamplona but don't arrive in time to take a bus from Pamplona to SJPP, hence the taxi. Happy to share it if there are others in the area. If you know of other options from Pamplona, I'm all ears! Thanks.
I don't think there is another quick way but a night in a hotel in Madrid might be worth considering. I'm sure you could shift your SJPP booking. Good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with @amancio , I have arrived at the Pamplona train station and stepped right out the front door and easily got a taxi to SJPdP. At the time the cost was 100 euros which I shared with my daughter. The driver was wonderful at giving us lots of information and showing us the sights as we went along. It was somewhat expensive but for us was worth it!

I'm using a MacBook Air...
Thank you for this feedback. Yes, just to clarify: The problem is not the browser; it is the browser settings. It is related to the settings for "Location" and/or "Pop-up windows". As a rule, I have disabled a number of these settings in my browser which is the reason why I didn't have a problem with entering international phone numbers. Once I had enabled some of these settings, I had a problem with entering the same international phone numbers I had used earlier, and, basically, I could no longer enter them. The website rejected them all as invalid. It's a bug.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That makes sense now! You will find a taxi driver outside the train station, and you will make a taxi driver very happy when you tell him you want him to bring you to SJPP. You might be lucky and might even bump into some other pilgrim coming out of the train, do not be shy and try to trick them into the idea of sharing a taxi to beautiful Saint Jean Pied de Port.

This said, at what time is your train arriving in Pamplona? It might be worth it to spend the evening in Pamplona, then go to SJPP the following morning, walk around gorgeous SJPP and recover a bit from jet lag before venturing into the mountains the following day.

In any case, no worries about the taxi, unless you are arriving at 2 am or something like that. At what time does your train arrive in Pamplona?

That makes sense now! You will find a taxi driver outside the train station, and you will make a taxi driver very happy when you tell him you want him to bring you to SJPP. You might be lucky and might even bump into some other pilgrim coming out of the train, do not be shy and try to trick them into the idea of sharing a taxi to beautiful Saint Jean Pied de Port.

This said, at what time is your train arriving in Pamplona? It might be worth it to spend the evening in Pamplona, then go to SJPP the following morning, walk around gorgeous SJPP and recover a bit from jet lag before venturing into the mountains the following day.

In any case, no worries about the taxi, unless you are arriving at 2 am or something like that. At what time does your train arrive in Pamplona?
Hi Barbara,

The train arrives at about 7:30 PM in Pamplona. I think your advice about staying instead in Pamplona is great. That may just be the simplest option. I'm really looking forward to SJPP and it would be great to spend at least one day there before hitting the trail. Many thanks!

The train arrives at about 7:30 PM in Pamplona. I think your advice about staying instead in Pamplona is great. That may just be the simplest option. I'm really looking forward to SJPP and it would be great to spend at least one day there before hitting the trail. Many thanks!
Bear in mind that at the moment there is only one bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port and it arrives at 16:30. The bus schedule for August is not yet online.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
BTW:

La empresa Teletaxi San Fermin nace en 1984 con el fin de ofrecer el servicio centralizado de reserva de taxi en Pamplona y Comarca. Hoy en día es la Central de taxi que agrupa al 99% de los taxis del área de prestación conjunta de Pamplona y Comarca, con una flota de 309 vehículos.

The company Teletaxi San Fermin was founded in 1984 with the aim of offering a centralised taxi booking service in Pamplona and the surrounding area. Nowadays, it is the taxi central that groups 99% of the taxis in the Pamplona and Comarca joint service area, with a fleet of 309 vehicles.

Hi Barbara,

indeed, the money you would spend in the taxi would probably more fun enjoying the fantastic tapas/pintxos and atmosphere in Pamplona. HOWEVER, beware this is the time for the local festival in Pamplona (famour bull running). The bull running has been cancelled this year, but finding accommodation might be an issue.

Fortunately, there are other possibilities, like aproaching SJPP from Hendaye via train and spending the night in San Sebastian, a delightful city by the sea with extraordinary food possibilities. On July 10th you have 4 trains from Hendaye to SJPP, for example. You could take the train to IRUN (border), then simply cross a bridge to France, it is a 600 meter walk, and there is always something special about border crossing on foot (the route that some many Spanish exiles took fleeing from Franco).

The trains from San Sebastian to Irun run at these times on July 10th, and you would also have the Euskotren services, or bus services, San Sebastian (AKA Donosti) is some 40 km to the border only.

1623837879888.png

then, from hendaye to SJPP, you have these timetables.
1623837690790.png

indeed, the money you would spend in the taxi would probably more fun enjoying the fantastic tapas/pintxos and atmosphere in Pamplona. HOWEVER, beware this is the time for the local festival in Pamplona (famour bull running). The bull running has been cancelled this year, but finding accommodation might be an issue.

Fortunately, there are other possibilities, like aproaching SJPP from Hendaye via train and spending the night in San Sebastian, a delightful city by the sea with extraordinary food possibilities. On July 10th you have 4 trains from Hendaye to SJPP, for example. You could take the train to IRUN (border), then simply cross a bridge to France, it is a 600 meter walk, and there is always something special about border crossing on foot (the route that some many Spanish exiles took fleeing from Franco).

The trains from San Sebastian to Irun run at these times on July 10th, and you would also have the Euskotren services, or bus services, San Sebastian (AKA Donosti) is some 40 km to the border only.

View attachment 102637

then, from hendaye to SJPP, you have these timetables.
View attachment 102636
Thank you for your kindness, Amancio. A lot of great information here. I appreciate your recommendations.

I am now living in Galicia. Most taxis here now operate using wifi or WhatsApp to book. Also you might try the app: Free Now for booking a taxi in Spain's major cities. It works similar to Uber and Lyft. If nothing works - you will be able to get a taxi at the train station in Pamplona that will take to you SJPP. No worries. Ultreia!

Have you tried just +1 area code and the seven digits. You don’t need a 0 anywhere at the beginning, just + I think that is relatively new. I see to remember some years ago it was 0 or 00 then the area code and number.

This is what I did, as the online booking form wanted my NIF number... set up via email.

Short answer - taxi.

In 2019, in a different world, our family of 6 took a taxi from the Pamplona train station. This was in April and bus service wasn't available. Couldn't use the online booking form as it required an NIF number. Reserved via email, no problems. I think they have a maximum 60 day window, as our reservation was made less than a month prior to our arrival.

They have an option to share a taxi, as the cost then was 104 Euros. Driver showed up early, managed suitcases and backpacks quite well, using some amazing Tetris skills. Very nice and professional.

When we were dropped off in St Jean, a member of our party realized they left a camera in the taxi, which was at least 10 minutes down the road. Luckily, the company had provided the driver's cell phone number. Called the number and managed to explain the situation (although if my high school Spanish teacher had heard me she would have wept quietly).

About 15 minutes later the driver returned with the found camera. Refused to take a thank you tip for his troubles. Nice man.

Teletaxi San Fermin.

Home - Taxi Pamplona

Hi Barbara,

You will definitely not regret following @amancio 's advice of a night in Pamplona. It will also be cheaper than that taxi ride.

My two cents worth.
I too flew into Madrid and immediately took a train to Pamplona. Then a taxi to my hotel there for the night. I arrived in my room at around 1 pm, which allowed me to take a nice shower and a much needed nap! That left the evening to explore a little of Pamplona, a very cool downtown with a lot of pintxos (tapas) places. It was a great place to get started! The next day I took a bus to SJPdP. My hotel for the night was a couple of blocks from the bus station.
Before I left the U.S., I made reservations for my 1st 5 nights, as I get kinda stupid when I go through multiple time-zone changes. This way I didn't have to think much! After that, I found the groove and had no problems finding a place to stay each night.
I wish you the best on your Camino!
Buen Camino!

My two cents worth.
I too flew into Madrid and immediately took a train to Pamplona. Then a taxi to my hotel there for the night. I arrived in my room at around 1 pm, which allowed me to take a nice shower and a much needed nap! That left the evening to explore a little of Pamplona, a very cool downtown with a lot of pintxos (tapas) places. It was a great place to get started! The next day I took a bus to SJPdP. My hotel for the night was a couple of blocks from the bus station.
Before I left the U.S., I made reservations for my 1st 5 nights, as I get kinda stupid when I go through multiple time-zone changes. This way I didn't have to think much! After that, I found the groove and had no problems finding a place to stay each night.
I wish you the best on your Camino!
Buen Camino!
Again: A very good plan!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back