• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reliability of Night Bus from SdeC to Madrid?

Verde

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo '18
Hello,

I'm looking at taking the night bus from Santiago to Madrid to catch my flight. The night bus gets to Terminal 4 of Barajas Airport at 7 AM; my flight leaves at 11 AM. Do you know how reliable the timeliness of the night bus is? I am thinking that since that since this is overnight there should be limited risk of traffic and this should be safe, but wanted to see if anyone who had experience with this bus could give info on it's reliability.

Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

I'm looking at taking the night bus from Santiago to Madrid to catch my flight. The night bus gets to Terminal 4 of Barajas Airport at 7 AM; my flight leaves at 11 AM. Do you know how reliable the timeliness of the night bus is? I am thinking that since that since this is overnight there should be limited risk of traffic and this should be safe, but wanted to see if anyone who had experience with this bus could give info on it's reliability.

Thanks.
Hola, @Verde

I didn't took that bus but I wouldn't worry much. Unless if something like collapsing of a road bridge would happen you'll be OK with a 4 hours time frame. Spanish buses and trains are quite punctual.

Buen Camino!

I did that journey a number of years ago. The bus was very punctual. I will never forget the trip. I had a rather rotund lady in the seat behind me with a huge bag of what was obviously garlic flavored crunchy snacks and a bad cough and a four and a half foot tall person in the seat in front of me who insisted on full seat recline. So there I was, pinned into my seat with some stranger virtually laying in my lap and breathing in coughed up garlic breath for what was the longest night of my life. Haven't been on a bus since, never will again, probably should have gone into therapy. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While I have not taken that particular bus from SDC to Madrid, I have taken the buses from Madrid to Pamplona and on to SJPdP and also the one from Finisterre to SDC (short bus ride). I found all these buses to be very punctual, and while not resembling a business class seat on Singapore Airlines, I found them to be more than adequate. After all, it is just a ride on an autobus. To me part of the adventure. I travel on buses and older trains all the time in SE Asia. Love it.

@Verde
I have copied the following text from my own recent posting on the forum about my personal experience of taking the Alsa bus from Santiago to Madrid to catch a plane:
"I have traveled by the Alsa overnight bus from Santiago to Madrid. It was a nightmare: every seat occupied and the bus was very hot. My ticket, bought at the Santiago bus depot earlier on the day of my departure, stated on it that it went to the airport. It did not. It terminated at the main bus depot, where the Alsa staff at the wicket had no idea why it was not going to the airport or whether there would be any bus going there at any time. Finally, someone at the bus station information desk said that I could get to the airport by the Cercanias train, which is what I did. Fortunately, I had several hours extra before my flight (connecting to Canada) left, or I would have had to pay a last minute price for a replacement ticket. I made my flight, with little time to spare. I was so exhausted that I was throwing up on the flight, a first for me."
Good luck if you decide to take the bus. It may or may not get you to the airport.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks everyone. Based on your advice I went ahead and bought the ticket. I can deal with uncomfortable as long as I get to the airport in time. I prefer that to having to fly to Madrid and get a hotel the night before. Plus this way I get a little more time to enjoy SdeC.

Too late now, I know, but there is also an early Ryan air flight from Santiago that arrives in Madrid by 8:00 am. Departs around 6:30 am I think.

I thought about that, but flight delays and ca cancellations happen all too often. Wouldnt want to miss my transatlantic flight if i missed my morning flight out of Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought about that, but flight delays and ca cancellations happen all too often. Wouldnt want to miss my transatlantic flight if i missed my morning flight out of Santiago.
I suppose they do, but I have flown into and out of Spain (Madrid, Santiago, Barcelona) seven times I think. I never had a delay or cancellation.

I am pretty sure it’s too late for you, Verde, but for others who are planning travel: One of the best travel tips I got from the forum, and I think it was from @annakappa years ago, was to investigate the “multi city” flight function. For years now, I have flown into Madrid and then on a connecting flight to my starting point — Valencia, Almería, Irún, etc. Then on the return, I fly Santiago to Madrid to USA. If you buy the multi-city ticket, you don’t have to worry about missing your transatlantic flight. If it’s all on one ticket, and the airline will have to get you from starting point to ending point. So if there are delays, it’s on them, not you.

Two years ago, I was in line in Madrid at the airport checking in when a very distraught young traveler (who had missed her connection in Madrid because she had booked a discount airlines separate ticket from Greece to Madrid) had to pay for a new ticket on day of travel. That was a very expensive day for her, since she lost the ticket she had already bought and had to pay for a new one way ticket home. It was many thousands of dollars. I felt sorry for her, but thought it was a good cautionary tale. And I also find that adding those two intra-Spain flights onto my international ticket doesn’t add much to the total, especially if I compare it to the cost and time of traveling from Madrid to start and from Santiago to Marid.

One of the best travel tips I got from the forum, and I think it was from @annakappa years ago, was to investigate the “multi city” flight function.

So, so true. I do that too as it takes all the stress away from the possibility of missing a connecting flight.

You do have to check the stopover time though between the two flights.

Hubby has just bought a return ticket from Johannesburg to Porto via Madrid. On the return leg he has a choice of a 1 hour stopover in Madrid, or a 5 hour stopover. He could probably do it in one hour, but if he doesn’t, and misses the Madrid to Jhb flight, the next flight to Jhb isn’t for another 3 days! So he’s opted for the 5 hour stopover.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We took that bus in 2017. On time. They said it went to the airport but we did actually change buses in Madrid and then it took us straight to term 4 as stated. Each seat has a tv screeen. Bus was completely full with reclining seats as stated. You can doze off but you wake up at each stop (6 or so). I would do it again, but my companion said Never!

My favourite is to take the train - takes about 5 hours maybe a bit longer but so enjoyable and so very comfortable - have done that 5 times already - also is you have your pension pass it is a reduced price.
Coming from SA we don't get to enjoy train travel so yes this my preferred way. Enjoy whatever way you travel and after a great camino can anything really rob you of your joy XXX Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back