• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Religious facilities not to miss on the Portuguese

Shston Girlfd

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
I am walking the Portuguese this coming September - haven't made any final decisions regarding which route - yet. Tell me about the monastery, convent, church, kiosk which took your breathe away and made your day a memorable one. TIA!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's not on the actual path, but I'll be walking the central route in May and plan on taking a detour for a day from Ponte de Lima to the Serra de Arga mountain. At the peak is a church that overlooks the entire valley. Weather permitting, I hope to summit it and give thanks to God in that church.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This place in Porto is totally bonkers...it has an admission charge but it's amazing. It's the Igreja de São Francisco (Church of Saint Francis) …the most promine
nt Gothic monument in Porto, being also noted for its outstanding Baroque inner decoration. I could go on … but you can find out more via Church of Saint Francis Porto.

Attachments

• WP_20170608_029.jpg
    WP_20170608_029.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
The Bom Jesus do Monte on the world heritage list ! Don't miss it when you are in Braga. I think it is the best.
And what about the famous churches in Lisbon. The castles in Sintra nearby Lisbon. And not to be missed the Templars castle in Tomar. You may not miss that. If you follow the Portuguese coastal the church on the hilltop in Viana do Castelo. How much time you have ?:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This place in Porto is totally bonkers...it has an admission charge but it's amazing. It's the Igreja de São Francisco (Church of Saint Francis) …the most promine
nt Gothic monument in Porto, being also noted for its outstanding Baroque inner decoration. I could go on … but you can find out more via Church of Saint Francis Porto.

Agree totally!

To me the greatest surprise was Conimbriga - the old Roman capital! Fantastic to walk among the ruins https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conímbriga

Fatima, without a doubt.

But only if you approach it with the full knowledge of the whole story. So you completely understand what you are visiting.

Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Bom Jesus do Monte on the world heritage list ! Don't miss it when you are in Braga. I think it is the best.
And what about the famous churches in Lisbon. The castles in Sintra nearby Lisbon. And not to be missed the Templars castle in Tomar. You may not miss that. If you follow the Portuguese coastal the church on the hilltop in Viana do Castelo. How much time you have ?:)
Did bom Jesus many years ago...never forgotten it

I stayed in Hebron last Autumn. It is a little detour before Padron. It was a lovely experience. I plan staying there again at the end of April. The only downside is that they do not open until 4.pm.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am walking the Portuguese this coming September - haven't made any final decisions regarding which route - yet. Tell me about the monastery, convent, church, kiosk which took your breathe away and made your day a memorable one. TIA!

Great question, as I am also walking the Portuguese in September and have lots more time than the last two caminos! Will definitely spend time in Viana do Castelo and Praia da Ancora, beautiful towns in the north of Portugal. Also, not to be missed is the Variante Espiritual found in Pontevedra! Good luck and Bom Caminho

Great question, as I am also walking the Portuguese in September and have lots more time than the last two caminos! Will definitely spend time in Viana do Castelo and Praia da Ancora, beautiful towns in the north of Portugal. Also, not to be missed is the Variante Espiritual found in Pontevedra! Good luck and Bom Caminho
Vila Praia de Âncora is a very small village. Nothing special. Viana do Castelo is a nice place as is Caminha. If you want to see beautiful northern Portuguese places take the central route and enjoy places like Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho.
And if you make some sidesteps more to the eastern side, find historic places like Braga and Guimarães. That is Portugal on its best . Most places are close by the central route .
I agree the Variante Espiritual is great. I explored the area by camping . Very nice landscape and interesting places along the seaside. If you have more time visit the north of Portugal and the area south of Santiag and west of Pontevedra.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back