• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Religious/Spiritual Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
I know that there are many reasons people walk Camino. I'd like to pose a question to the portion of those who walk Camino for religious/spiritual reasons. Specifically I'd like to receive stories/feedback from the subset of those that have had a specifically Christian experience on Camino as opposed to a more generally spiritual one (not that they are mutually exclusive by any means but I'd like to focus for a moment on the specifically Christian subset). Share, if you will, your thoughts or stories of specifically Christian nature.

What was your experience?
How did the experience speak to you?
What impact has it made?
etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The daily experience for a Christian is to develop a closer relationship with Him, and to strive to become like Him in the best way possible. The Camino was much the same as attending church --- it didn't make me any more or less a Christian, but it gave me a unique space in which to worship Him and to meditate on my relationship with Him, and with other pilgrims around me. I was cognizant of the Camino as a special time to do so, apart from the distractions of life and responsibilities at home. I also viewed this time as a way of developing more sensitivity towards the needs of others, even as strangers, and to offer whatever assistance and comfort that I could. Sometimes I miserably failed, but that is what being human is about even if one is a follower of Christ :).

Even Jesus recognized the need to remove oneself from the normal routines; He spent time alone in the wilderness, and frequently removed Himself away from His Disciples and followers to be with the Father.

I look forward to this again when I return this late September and October.

@DowtyCamino -

1) I have seen miracles most days out. Think 'Loaves and Fishes', 'Miracle of Tongues', and healing where there was no hope.

This is despite being a cynic, skeptic, and possessed of the middle name of "Thomas". (Yeah, that doubting Apostle.)

There is coincidence and there is Providence. After six months Camino-ing over five years, I no longer need to be beat over the head with a clue-stick to discern the difference.

2) I finally grok the Sermon on the Mount! It only took 60 years but perhaps I am a slow learner.;)

3) While never very materialistic, it appears hard for me to even budge the needle on that dial any more. The Camino-induced simplicity is too great a lesson to ignore. This introduced tension into many relationships and I had to let those go. Seeing that what I do for a living is set among "getters"/"spenders"/"status"-oriented people...well, it has hit my wallet. And, this does not bother me a bit....even if it keeps me from walking the Camino again.

4) My top Camino lesson? “I am loved, my task is to be loving.” Now, I am not a warm, fuzzy type of person. Being "loving" does not mean that I abandon my fundamentally critical nature. It means that I accept what, and who, comes before me without prejudice. (I walk with a heavy staff just in case the object of my acceptance decides to not return the favor.)

I am happy to correspond with you via PM if you need more than this. A lot of what I have learned seems too personal for public exhibit.

B

PS. I look at the above post and I have been honest. yet, it could seem that I am a good person from the scribblings. Nope, I'm about as broken as a human can get. (Not like there's a contest about that...)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This thread has been closed since religious topics always end up with disagreements and arguments. This is why we created rule 2) of the forum rules. Sorry about this since I know religion is a part of the Camino experience for many... but 14 years of running the forum has taught me that this is the best way for the forum to be a good place to share forum experiences and camino advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back