• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Remaining true to the Camino Spirit

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés(2008,09 14)
Del Norte (2011)
Portuguese(2015,2017)
Inglés 2015
Fisterre (2015 17)
I am sometimes surprised at the number of people who make responses that appear to be less than considerate of other people's sensitivities.
In one particular case someone expressed a feeling about a topic and received a rather harsh response which more or less told them they were wrong to have that feeling.
Feelings are individual and neither right nor wrong. You have them or you don't. You express them or you don't. You are tolerant of others feelings in the spirit of the Camino or you issue forth your mandate of what others need to believe in order to be the same as you.
So in the spirit of the Camino Lets try to be as tolerant in this forum as we are on pilgrimage. ... And if difficulties arise perhaps exploring the ignore feature is a good option.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am sometimes surprised at the number of people who make responses that appear to be less than considerate of other people's sensitivities.
In one particular case someone expressed a feeling about a topic and received a rather harsh response which more or less told them they were wrong to have that feeling.
Feelings are individual and neither right nor wrong. You have them or you don't. You express them or you don't. You are tolerant of others feelings in the spirit of the Camino or you issue forth your mandate of what others need to believe in order to be the same as you.
So in the spirit of the Camino Lets try to be as tolerant in this forum as we are on pilgrimage. ... And if difficulties arise perhaps exploring the ignore feature is a good option.
I agree completely. There is a difference between giving an opinion and telling someone what they are "feeling" is wrong. We can't stop what we feel. Respecting how someone feels is in essence respecting them as a person. Having a difference of opinion is a discussion.
I am a very private person and generally do not join stuff or participate in group type activities. I was very hesitant to become part of this online community. Not generally my thing, but I have been a member since around 2007 to access all of the great info for planning my Caminos. After being away from the forum for a few years, I logged on in February to plan my March Camino. After reading several of the types of posts that Jacobus refers to, my response was that I would never post other than to get info....why open up yourself to such negativity...and who are these people? I also noticed it was generally the same people that somewhat consistently responded in this manner (I actually formed opinions about these people and decided I did not like them- having never met them).
Well fast-forward to the end of my Camino on the VdlP where I had days and days of quiet and solitude. Came home and I am still processing my Camino (which was amazing and profound) and felt the need to stay connected to the Camino as I assimilate everything. And while my husband loves to hear about my caminos and supports me in going, I just can't really describe what it is or means to me. So I found myself returning to the forum and reading, and reading, and then decided to take the plunge. I opened myself up carefully at first and then found the most amazing group of people that really understand what I am feeling and are so generous and giving. My husband cannot believe I actually post in a forum - he says he is happy and proud of me for having the courage to open myself up like that. I do believe this is an extension of my Camino-learning to be vulnerable. I do think I would have stopped posting if I had received someone's harsh post putting down my "feelings" ( I am a tough woman so bring on the different opinions - no problem). I just wanted to share this to bring some additional perspective to Jacobus' post. Please be sensitive and respectful of others feelings. Go to town and spew forth all of your opinions...

Well said both @Jacobus & @LauraK. Engaging both brain & emotional intelligence before writing on this forum (or any other) might reduce some flaming & encourage others, who might not have felt comfortable, to become more involved in posting & commenting.
Suzanne :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A fine sentiment and similar reproaches often appear in threads where it happens, with absolutely no effect on the usual suspects. People who do this sort of thing don't see it as just their personal feeling, that's the problem. If you passionately believe, you feel duty bound to help the unenlightened. It is rather scary at first. But you soon realise that there are many other views here and you can always PM to avoid upsetting people who, apart from this well-intentioned idée fixe, are valuable contributors.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back