• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Remember rugby is on 11-12 in Bilbao/Portugalete

perfectday

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte (2018)
We have just arrived in Portugalete and the hostel owner was saying how he can’t believe the number of people coming here/Bilbao for the rugby next weekend. We are at Bide-Ona (usually has lots of pilgrims) and it’s booked up all next weekend. Just in case you weren’t aware, accomodation is going to be tough for the Friday and Saturday nights - it might pay to think ahead and plan around the increased numbers in the area.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
After we booked our flights to Bilbao we heard about this. All hotels, hostals and so on are booked full. Accommodation that still is available is very pricey( far above our budget in any case) If our plane is on scheduled we will be landing at 16.45. So we don't have much time to seek a place to stay if the 2 AlberguesI know off have no beds available. I wrote to one of them (Claret Enea) they answered that they don't expect any problems for us getting a bed there. (I'm not sure though that they were aware of the crowdedness in town due to the Rugbygame)

It's the European Champions Cup.Leinster is playing Racing.Bilbao will be filled with Irish and French supporters.Bilbao is a very lively
city and even more so with all the rugby fans.Being Irish you can guess which team I am supporting..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did send my post by accident. I can imagine that pilgrims who often will stay in hostals, casa rurals and so on will now end up in the albergues. Does anyone have any idea for possible places to stay?

I heard on an Irish radio station that a pilgrim hostal was charging 600 euro for one night in a dormitory over the rugby match period..Maybe it would be a good idea to avoid Bilbao. Check the Gronze web site Camino del Norte for alternative places to stay.

Friends of mine booked a trip for the rugby last October and even then there was nowhere to stay within 30 minute drive of Bilbao. They in October booked onto a Camp site 40 minutes Taxi drive away from Bilbao. Albergues should be for Pilgrims but getting into a pension within 30 minutes of Bilbao you’ll have no chance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've just had a look at the central Bilbao hostel that I stayed in on Saturday night (BCool) where I paid 22 Euro for the night. For this Saturday during the rugby a bed in a dormitory is 148 Euro! Maybe get out to the Pilgrim's hostel in Pobena if you can't get a bed in Bilbao. It's an easy bus ride from Portugalete. https://www.gronze.com/pais-vasco/vizcaya/pobena/albergue-peregrinos-pobena

I posted the problem I ran into about a month ago. I had booked and prepaid an AirBnb next weekend and it was suddenly cancelled without notice. I received a refund but had to scramble to find another room. I found one in Laredo, an hour away by bus. I am attending the tournament as well as beginning my Camino on Sunday from Laredo.

Today I booked an apartment at Airbnb in Barakaldo for 69€, the booking was confirmed. I hope it works out well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back