• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Remembering Kindnesses

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
As with every group I’ve brought on the Camino Santiago, the majority of the folks were just awesome.
And as always, this Camino group and I received our share of small kindnesses from the big-hearted, hospitable people of Spain.

Here are just a few I remember in 2018.

In Pamplona, the owner of Hotel Eslava offered me free breakfasts with our rooms. It was a nice surprise!

In SJPP, Pierre kindly held ALTUS ponchos for members of my group without asking for a deposit.

On the way to Orisson, I jokingly stuck out my thumb, and a car stopped and gave me a needed ride up a steep hill.

In Roncesvalles, the hospitalero saw how weary we were, and carried our bags upstairs. He also did a bed check for a worried pilgrim who thought she might have bedbugs in her bunk.

In Pamplona, a restaurant owner served a group of us during off hours just because we were hungry.

In Puente la Reina, the management patiently assisted one of my pilgrims who didn’t understand the key needed to be in the slot in order for the lights to work.

In Viana, our host José took one of my pilgrims to a physiotherapist after she had turned her ankle. He also offered to go buy medicine for my flu.

In Rabanal, Cristina, who was as sick as I, managed a nice family style dinner for our group.

In Molinaseca, Antonio arranged two wonderful places for us to stay when his staff made a mistake and double booked.

In Villafranca, I found 5 euros on the ground. Thanks Universe!

In Sarria, José, our host, made us wonderful homemade Sangria and bacon/cheese tapas.

In Portomarin, Carmen and Luís presented our group with a beautiful Tarta de Portomarin.

In Castañeda, Maria made sure everyone was comfortable and happy with their lodgings and loaned umbrellas for the walk to dinner.

In Pedrouzo, Maribel took a group of my pilgrims to dinner in her car because it was raining.

All of these people did these things out of their love and appreciation for the pilgrims.

When I feel depressed because someone was unkind, or treated me rudely, these are the thing I want to dwell on. These are the things I will hold in my heart, the small kindnesses that make life a joy.

The good.

It’s there, and you don’t even have to look for it.

As for the rest . . . I’m taking Alex Elle’s advice:

“Ignore people who threaten your joy.
Literally, ignore them.
Don’t invite any parts of them
Into your space.
Live Life Happy!”

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How inspiring and heartwarming to read this - thank you for sharing. There is so much goodness in so many people...
As with every group I’ve brought on the Camino Santiago, the majority of the folks were just awesome.
And as always, this Camino group and I received our share of small kindnesses from the big-hearted, hospitable people of Spain.

In Pamplona, the owner of Hotel Eslava offered me free breakfasts with our rooms. It was a nice surprise!

In SJPP, Pierre kindly held ALTUS ponchos for members of my group without asking for a deposit.

On the way to Orisson, I jokingly stuck out my thumb, and a car stopped and gave me a needed ride up a steep hill.

In Roncesvalles, the hospitalero saw how weary we were, and carried our bags upstairs. He also did a bed check for a worried pilgrim who thought she might have bedbugs in her bunk.

In Pamplona, a restaurant owner served a group of us during off hours just because we were hungry.

In Puente la Reina, the management patiently assisted one of my pilgrims who didn’t understand the key needed to be in the slot in order for the lights to work.

In Viana, our host José took one of my pilgrims to a physiotherapist after she had turned her ankle. He also offered to go buy medicine for my flu.

In Rabanal, Cristina, who was as sick as I, managed a nice family style dinner for our group.

In Molinaseca, Antonio arranged two wonderful places for us to stay when his staff made a mistake and double booked.

In Sarria, José, our host, made us wonderful homemade Sangria and bacon/cheese tapas.

In Portomarin, Carmen and Luís presented our group with a beautiful Tarta de Portomarin.

In Castañeda, Maria made sure everyone was comfortable and happy with their lodgings and loaned umbrellas for the walk to dinner.

In Pedrouzo, Maribel took a group of my pilgrims to dinner in her car because it was raining.

All of these people did these things out of their love and appreciation for the pilgrims.

When I feel depressed because someone was unkind, or treated me rudely, these are the thing I want to dwell on. These are the things I will hold in my heart, the small kindnesses that make life a joy.

The good.

Literally, ignore them.
Into your space.
Live Life Happ

The family that runs Hotel Eslava could not be nicer! We ended up staying there unexpectedly last year when some luggage didn't make it to Spain. They were kind enough to hold our room and extend the reservation day to day as we waited for the missing pack to arrive. And yes, they provided a very nice, and free breakfast. If you're flying into Pamplona and want to spend a night before heading to SJPdP, or you want to treat yourself to a little bit of comfort after crossing the Pyrenees, I highly recommend it - Good Karma.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great comments about Hotel Eslava. My wife and I have reservations there later this month. I loved the pics and comments on Booking.com and love that it is located in the old town next to the historic walls. We'll arrive in Pamplona on a Sunday. In most Spanish towns very few places are open. That's not the case in Pamplona - many stores, restaurants and bars are open since it is a tourist mecca. Bob

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Great comments about Hotel Eslava. My wife and I have reservations there later this month. I loved the pics and comments on Booking.com and love that it is located in the old town next to the historic walls. We'll arrive in Pamplona on a Sunday. In most Spanish towns very few places are open. That's not the case in Pamplona - many stores, restaurants and bars are open since it is a tourist mecca. Bob

Yes, but remember, many if not most of the museums in Spain are closed on Mondays.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Terrific thread Anniesantiago - thank you for your thoughts.

I have three instances of kindnesses to add which were from my recent camino with my family -

Jana from Quatro Cantones in Belorado went out of her way to assist when an ATM swallowed my sister’s cashcard on a Saturday afternoon.

Santiago, the owner of Albergue Turisticos at Salceda, cooked me plain boiled rice when he heard I was getting over a stomach upset and wouldn’t be able to eat their delicious pilgrim dinner.

And our own t2andreo gave me loads of help and information at the Pilgrims Office, plus he went out of his way to find and introduce me to the staffer who could best help me with an enquiry I had. He also showed me and my family some wonderful hospitality in the brief time we were in Santiago.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

The good.

Literally, ignore them.
Into your space.
Live Life Happy!”

Your philosophy of focusing on the many small good things is clearly the right thing to do.

I’m still stressing about that €5 note I dropped in Villafranca a while ago - but I know it’ll turn up one day.

Via con Dios.

Your philosophy of focusing on the many small good things is clearly the right thing to do.

I’m still stressing about that €5 note I dropped in Villafranca a while ago - but I know it’ll turn up one day.

Via con Dios.

Next time we cross paths, I'll give it to you! :😆:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One of my fondest memories of the Camino is the 'free fruit for pilgrims'. On my third day, we were walking downhill and saw a local woman walking uphill, she smiled with the warmest smile and the kindest tone said 'bon Camiño'. As we arrived down the road there was a box with free fresh plum for the pilgrim. I guess she brought them. My heart fills with joy just to remember it.

I better not start posting how many kind things I did for other pilgrims :D :D :D

But seriously - I always act according to the saying "pay it forward"!

So many to list but one of my favorites:
Before leaving the town of Salas I stopped in the local bar for a coffee. After paying the older lady 1 euro for the jet fuel she says "uno momento". She no english, me no Espanol, she heads up the bar, I wait. She returns with something wrapped in tinfoil. Big smiles, we say our good byes. Three hours later I stop for a rest, open the package and voila ... a ham & cheese sandwich and a banana

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I first read you long list of woes I though oh my, they really shouldn't let these folks loose on the world. Then I chuckled, nothing too bad and its reassuring that there are people in the world who go out of their way to help right even the little things. I guess it's worth remembering that even most of the big things that go wrong can be broken down into manageable chunks and dealt with.

When I first read you long list of woes I though oh my, they really shouldn't let these folks loose on the world. Then I chuckled, nothing too bad and its reassuring that there are people in the world who go out of their way to help right even the little things. I guess it's worth remembering that even most of the big things that go wrong can be broken down into manageable chunks and dealt with.

Woes? Wrong post?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back