• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Remembering my Camino Francés - a day-by-day video series

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
Back in the autumn of 2018, in those happy days when we were all still allowed outside, I walked the Camino Francés and took a few pictures along the Way, some more than others!

Given all the extra time that's suddenly become available, I've now started to make those photos into short little YouTube films, around 3-5 minutes per day.

The first 12 days are already done and posted on my YouTube channel, which can be found here:-

John Lloyd's YouTube channel

Maybe these will stir some splendid memories of your own Camino, or for those who are hoping to walk the Way for the first time, they might help to paint a picture of what you may see yourself when you walk.

Either way, I hope you enjoy them.

Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah, that's very kind.

The music comes from YouTube's library of "copyright-cleared music", so that means anyone can use it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well done so far, love the music and you were blessed with some great weather up to day 12. I can't wait to see the rest.

Oh great. Wonderful films. Thanks for that. Now I feel ten times worse than I did before! Why? Oh, why? BECAUSE I CAN’T GO!!

Well done so far, love the music and you were blessed with some great weather up to day 12. I can't wait to see the rest.
I think you must be right - the poncho and rucksack cover was deployed only on the second day to Zubiri and I saw about 28 sunrises on the trot, until Portomarín.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh great. Wonderful films. Thanks for that. Now I feel ten times worse than I did before! Why? Oh, why? BECAUSE I CAN’T GO!!

Eeek.

Sorry, I know exactly how you feel.

I was going to walk the CF again between the end of the football season and Glastonbury this year.

Now, none of those things is occurring and it's like there isn't much left to cheer a person up.

Apart from revelling in journeys past.

Best to focus on the positive, when you can.

We WILL walk again.

Great !
Thanks!
Somehow I cannot see the 1,2 and 3 parts.
Looking forward for the rest.
Ultreia!

Benny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back in the autumn of 2018, in those happy days when we were all still allowed outside, I walked the Camino Francés and took a few pictures along the Way, some more than others!

Given all the extra time that's suddenly become available, I've now started to make those photos into short little YouTube films, around 3-5 minutes per day.

The first 12 days are already done and posted on my YouTube channel, which can be found here:-

Maybe these will stir some splendid memories of your own Camino, or for those who are hoping to walk the Way for the first time, they might help to paint a picture of what you may see yourself when you walk.

Ultreia!

Ultreia!

Rozenn - is that you from that morning when we all looked after Martin at the Spanish Civil War memorial outside Villafranca Montes de Oca? You were able to ring the paramedics in perfect Spanish.

Sure I will have a look at your YouTube channel
Actually I. Am doing the same since 19 of april but the n FB
When I walked from Burgos to Santiago ( I had walked the first part of CF in summer 2018)
I post on FB to my friends
It takes me a lot of time to choose and upload and do the comments. I am improving my skills day after day! A Mexican friend I met on the Camino is doing the same and it is wonderful
To remember all
The places we have been together , may be she was on some places before or after me , we compare our photos and the memories come back so vivid !!
Next step for me is to create my you tube account ! Thanks for motivating me! I would like also to make a nice small exhibition in my little village where I live and select my best pics and comments for printing
Hope we can all be back to
More Caminod asp

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it helps, I recommend using iMovie on an iPad - you can import all your photos and then use the "Ken Burns" feature to give the impression of movement, add music and all sorts.

If I can do it, anyone can!

Rozenn - is that you from that morning when we all looked after Martin at the Spanish Civil War memorial outside Villafranca Montes de Oca? You were able to ring the paramedics in perfect Spanish.
Yes it s me! Such a fright it was the remember ... this part of landscape was also gloomy!
I had to leave my n Burgos but last year I came back to Burgos and this time made it to Santiago!
I was supposed to walk again now but of course all cancelled !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi John yes it s me !

Ah, it's wonderful to be able to say hello again!

Do you remember the night before, when we had John and Lex from Australia at our table for dinner, and how many hilarious tales he had to tell?

Then the following morning, I was first up the hill to the war memorial and that meant I was there to catch Martin as he stumbled and fell to the ground by my side.

Thankfully, you and a couple more people could do something useful to look after him came up the hill soon afterwards and we all stayed there until the medics arrived.

As an example of some of the amazing things that happened on my Camino, I didn't see Martin again until bumping into him by chance at another very significant place - Cruz de Ferro!

That was quite a moment.

Great to catch up again!

Yes it s me! Such a fright it was the remember ... this part of landscape was also gloomy!
I had to leave my n Burgos but last year I came back to Burgos and this time made it to Santiago!
I was supposed to walk again now but of course all cancelled !
Congratulations on getting to Santiago!

I was going to walk it again this spring, until this awful thing happened.

Looking back and remembering is a good way to spend this time.

Ah, it's wonderful to be able to say hello again!

Do you remember the night before, when we had John and Lex from Australia at our table for dinner, and how many hilarious tales he had to tell?
How I remember the afternoon we! I so early morning and dawthat meant I was there to catch Martin as he stumbled and

Thankfully, you and a couple more people could do something useful to look after him came up the hill soon afterwards and we all stayed there until the medics arrived.

As an example of some of the amazing things that happened on my Camino, I didn't see Martin again until bumping into him by chance at another very significant place - Cruz de Ferro!

That was quite a moment.

Great to catch up again!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I remember this afternoon of laughter as one of the best moment EVER !!! Do you remember Debbie the Irish ? And Shawn the American vet ( apiece of art as well!!
I am still in touch with them
Shawn lives in Germany . He came to visit in Brittany and met my family we had a lovely time and have become very good friends
I have a few pics of that afternoon ,, yokke and Helena à handsome Swedish or danish couple, Eliana a lovely brazilian young woman working as a sanitary inspector for Doctors with no borders .
A welsh young guy too
I don’t remember having such a laughter since then!!i remember the guy in charge of the place saying that he hadn’t seen such a gang of cheerful pilgrims like that in a long time !!!

Yes, I remember Debbie (she also helped with Martin) and Eliana (who was an MSF nurse), as well as Heidi and Bendt from Denmark, who were on our table that night too - I think they were your "handsome couple"!

Emyr was the young guy from Wales - I bumped into him quite a few times along the Way and there was a good gang of us walking together for a while in the stages around Ponferrada.

I'm still in touch with all of them on a pretty big WhatsApp group I set up as we walked, apart from Bendt and Heidi, as I forgot to collect their phone number over the previous days. Silly me.

Now here's the funny thing.

Shawn hadn't made a very good impression on a few of us, on a number of different occasions before this day on the Camino, probably due to all the drinking he was doing.

Later on in the morning after the incident with Martin, a couple of us were walking in his space again, until he said he could go no further, at Ages. I have to admit that I was quite relieved to be out of his space, as he'd been quite difficult to connect to, for one reason or another.

So, I am delighted to find now that my impressions of him were half-formed, incorrect and unnecessarily judgmental at the time.

I still had some time to walk on my Camino before I really started to learn those vital lessons about being more tolerant, less judgmental and more accepting of other perspectives, something that really seems to happen there.

Later, in the last week of the Camino, I found myself in conversations with three other Americans who had voted for Donald Trump, and I was able to understand what their reasons were.

That would never have happened before - I would never have listened.

So, thank you for another lesson from the Camino - nearly 18 months later!

John, your videos are wonderful! It must have been totally therapeutic to make them. You just might have inspired me to do the same. ¡Gracias!

John, your videos are wonderful! It must have been totally therapeutic to make them. You just might have inspired me to do the same. ¡Gracias!
Well, that’s great to hear!
Let me know when you’ve made your first one.
I used iMovie on my iPad and it was a pretty simple process, once you get used to it.
Good luck!

I enjoyed this so much, great memories of Full and part Caminos walked in 2014, 2017, 2019. I was supposed to be a hospitaleros in April/May this year. Fingers crossed for next year.
You answered my question about what app you used, I am just wondering what the ‘Ken Burns’ feature for movement is?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Glad you enjoyed the films - they’re a poor substitute for the real thing, but the memories come flooding back in the making of them.

In iMovie, there’s the choice of picking a start and an end point for a sweep across an image - from left to right, or top to bottom, and vice versa, which gives the impression of movement on a still photo.
It’s called the Ken Burns feature in tribute to the American documentary maker who used that technique on his famous Civil War documentaries.
I hope that helps!

Ultreia!
Absolutely beautiful John! Brought memories/tears to my eyes as I watched. It's been two years since I completed the Camino Frances ( SJPdP - SdC). I wonder if I will ever stop tearing up when I walk down memory lane via YouTube videos shared by so many wonderful pilgrims? I hope not. The Camino is a singular, exceptional experience, one I will cherish always. Thank you for sharing your videos John. They are excellent.

Glad you enjoyed the films - they’re a poor substitute for the real thing, but the memories come flooding back in the making of them.

In iMovie, there’s the choice of picking a start and an end point for a sweep across an image - from left to right, or top to bottom, and vice versa, which gives the impression of movement on a still photo.
It’s called the Ken Burns feature in tribute to the American documentary maker who used that technique on his famous Civil War documentaries.
I hope that helps!
Thanks John. I have never used iMovie but I am definitely going to give this a go. I’m looking forward to reliving my Camino experiences.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Ultreia!
Hi John
I can only find from day 6 to16. Would love to see the videos from day one. I walked the Frances in 2018 and still cannot stop watching videos to reminisce the amazing adventure

Hi John
I can only find from day 6 to16. Would love to see the videos from day one. I walked the Frances in 2018 and still cannot stop watching videos to reminisce the amazing adventure
Thanks for that! I’m glad to help with the reminiscing!

If you click on “Videos” or “Playlist” on my channel, that should do it.

The “front page” only shows the most recent uploads.

I hope that does the trick!

Thanks for that! I’m glad to help with the reminiscing!

If you click on “Videos” or “Playlist” on my channel, that should do it.

The “front page” only shows the most recent uploads.

I hope that does the trick!
Watching them now. Beautifully done!! Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Excellent in every way John L !
a needed Camino boost and education.
Greatly appreciated.
Hope you can complete this series.
Genuine thanks
BruceS / Sydney.

Hello Bruce and thanks very much for your kind comments.

Making this series is the closest I can get to actually walking it again at the moment, so I'm pleased to hear that people are enjoying them too, perhaps for the same reasons.

I've made a YouTube playlist, which should play the films in order, and I'm up to Molinaseca now.

The French Way, day-by-day

I'll add the remaining days this week.

Gracias!

Nicely done John! I walked at roughly the same time - left SJPdP on 14 September and into SdC on 16 October. What were the dates of your journey?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Luciano! I was planning to walk it again this spring, so making these videos of my first Camino was the next best thing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back