• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Removing Compeed from socks

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

From the manufacturers:
Dear [Consumer],

Ref: 002266784A

Thank you for your recent email regarding our Compeed® Blister Plasters.

I am very sorry that you have had difficulty removing the residue from the plaster adhesive from your socks. We have checked with our Research & Development Department as to how to remove this and they have advised a couple of things for you to try. You could try soaking them in hot, soapy water and if this is not successful they recommend that you try white spirit. However, please do be careful as we cannot determine how white spirit would affect your socks.

Please contact me again on 0845 6031127 should you require any further information.

Assuring you of our best attention.

Yours sincerely,

Louise Winther
Senior Consumer Support Associate
Johnson & Johnson® Consumer Support Team
White spirit, also known as Stoddard solvent, is a paraffin-derived clear, transparent liquid which is a common organic solvent used in painting and decorating. In 1924, an Atlanta dry cleaner named W. J. Stoddard worked with Lloyd E. Jackson of the Mellon Research Institute to develop specifications for a less volatile dry cleaning solvent as an alternative to more volatile petroleum solvents. Dry cleaners began using it in 1928 and it was the predominant dry cleaning solvent in the United States from the late 1920s until the late 1950s.
Wikipedia

Low odor mineral turpentine is 100% low aromatic white spirit.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
falcon269 said:
From the manufacturers:
Dear [Consumer],

Ref: 002266784A

Thank you for your recent email regarding our Compeed® Blister Plasters.

I am very sorry that you have had difficulty removing the residue from the plaster adhesive from your socks. We have checked with our Research & Development Department as to how to remove this and they have advised a couple of things for you to try. You could try soaking them in hot, soapy water and if this is not successful they recommend that you try white spirit. However, please do be careful as we cannot determine how white spirit would affect your socks.

Please contact me again on 0845 6031127 should you require any further information.

Assuring you of our best attention.

Yours sincerely,

Louise Winther
Senior Consumer Support Associate
Johnson & Johnson® Consumer Support Team

Gosh ... washing dirty hiking socks in hot soapy water...now there's a novel idea! They have a whole Research and Development Department to give this advice. I'm impressed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They have a whole Research and Development Department to give this advice. I'm impressed.
They have lawyers who have told them they will be sued if someone melts their socks with turpentine on the advice of Compeed!

R&D probably changed the adhesive for U.S. FDA approval of the product. The BandAid product does not stick nearly as well as the European Compeed.

The adhesive has almost nothing to do with the "goo" that blister moisture and the wet-wound absorbent material deposits on socks. I have found isopropyl alcohol removes the adhesive pretty well.

I am reluctant to burn my wool/synthetic blend socks. The pollutants are much more toxic than burning a cotton T-shirt. Ditto synthetic shirts and pants. Celebration can be too gleeful, and not thoughtful enough, at least for me.

You're right.. burning them probably isn't the best way. :oops:
But it sure made me laugh :lol:

It's funny about the Bandaid product. It is definitely not as well-sticking as Compeed and you're probably right about the FDA. We've become such a sue-happy community in the USA - burn yourself on HOT coffee and sue - break a fingernail opening a jar and sue... they should just re-name the USA the SUE! :roll:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lawsuits are out of hand in the U.S., but the McDonald's hot coffee did cause third degree burns right out of the cup:Skin grafts were required to repair the damage.

Attachments

• liebeck.jpg
    liebeck.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,243

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.