• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Removing Compeed from woolen socks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
WD40 spray should do it as it dissolves old glue. Spray on and then rub it until it dissolves.
Also, some parents over here (UK) use peanut butter to remove bubble and chewing gum from their chidren's hair (true!).

Peanut butter actually works very well for removing adhesives. That, or a mix of baking soda and coconut oil. Let it sit for an hour and then remove the sticky bits.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Peanut butter actually works very well for removing adhesives. That, or a mix of baking soda and coconut oil. Let it sit for an hour and then remove the sticky bits.

I hate peanut butter! :) I use meths to remove compeed . Just don't toast yer tootsies until u have washed the sox!!

The malingerer.

I successfully removed 2 year old compeed with a product called Goo Gone, ( read that you can use a paste made with vegetable oil and baking soda but didn’t try that myself)
On my recent Camino took Dave Buggs advice and used a sport glide on my feet each morning, resulting in no blisters or Compeed!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I successfully removed 2 year old compeed with a product called Goo Gone, ( read that you can use a paste made with vegetable oil and baking soda but didn’t try that myself)
On my recent Camino took Dave Buggs advice and used a sport glide on my feet each morning, resulting in no blisters or Compeed!
Just be careful, as Goo Gone is very flammable!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fwiw, something as harmless as olive oil (or rapeseed oil) is very effective for dissolving glue. I use it to remove the very sticky glue that is left on glass jars when the label is removed.

Rub it well into the glue, let it sit for an hour and wash/rub with some detergent.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As the Compeed, or any adhesive on most any tape type product, likely contains petroleum ingredients, an appropriate solvent would be one that would emulsify petroleum residues. This is why WD-40 works, as well as a common food product like peanut butter.

In my experience, olive oil or other food / cooking oils also work. It also has the advantage of not stripping all the natural oils out of the wool. Commonly used soap products will also remove some or all of the naturally occurring lanolin.

My recommendation is to make this a two-step process:

1. Use a mild oil (olive) or a mild soap (baby shampoo) to soak, soften then remove the Compeed gunk. I save those tiny toothbrushes from airplane comfort kits to use in the laundry room to scrub spots before washing. "Works a treat..." as my Brit friends would say...

2. Use a gentle soap intended for use with wool that also contains lanolin. This helps rejuvenate the natural fibers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It’s amazing what you see but don’t observe.

I’m in a bar in Valladolid and the camarera is cleaning out the coffee machine. To clean the ‘handles’ into which the coffee grounds are compacted prior to expressing (I’m a Brit, I drink tea - I’m doing my best) she just squeezed ketchup.

I’ve had a few scoops this evening, but that’s what she did.

It’s quite possible that she’s just loca, but it seemed deliberate enough to me.

I believe it is the vinegar in the ketchup that does the cleaning. The rest of it is to make it easy to work with. Straight vinegar would run all over the place. Ketchup has a more gel or cream like consistency.

Personally I would use a 3M scrubby sponge soaked in white vinegar.

Fwiw, something as harmless as olive oil (or rapeseed oil) is very effective for dissolving glue. I use it to remove the very sticky glue that is left on glass jars when the label is removed.

Rub it well into the glue, let it sit for an hour and wash/rub with some detergent.
Wow. Who knew?
(I love it how all the guys have all the good cleaning advice.... 🤣 )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can barely make canned soups. However being a tad untidy, and having been raised in a very rigid and spotless home as a child, I can clean with the best.

My very frugal mother taught me all sorts of “life hack” shortcuts and “tips.”

Some of my favourite socks have old Compeed stuck on the inside. Does anyone have a good method of removing the sticky stuff?
Lesson for the future: next time you use Compeed, add an extra plaster on top of it to prevent the top surface sticking to your socks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It worked!

The freezer made it possible to break off a little bit, an hour of olive oil seemed to dissolve the adhesive a bit, scrubbing with peanut butter removed more - and then I gave the socks a wash in too-hot water (along with sheets and towels) and they are now perfect.

Thank you to all!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.