• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RENFE bargain tickets just released

• Thread starter Deleted member 36903
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36903

I have been checking every week and today was the day! Renfe have just released tickets from Barcelona to Madrid on the AVE train and the price I paid was £26.01 or 32 Euros. I will be travelling on to Vigo from Madrid prior to dropping down to Porto to start my next Camino, but the tickets for that leg of the journey are not yet available. I realise that other pilgrims might not be using this route, but am highlighting it just in case tickets for their journeys have been released today as well. Just to add, I paid using Paypal and it was trouble-free. I don't know if it is that easy for people outside the EU.
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been checking every week and today was the day! Renfe have just released tickets from Barcelona to Madrid on the AVE train and the price I paid was £26.01 or 32 Euros. I will be travelling on to Vigo from Madrid prior to dropping down to Porto to start my next Camino, but the tickets for that leg of the journey are not yet available. I realise that other pilgrims might not be using this route, but am highlighting it just in case tickets for their journeys have been released today as well. Just to add, I paid using Paypal and it was trouble-free. I don't know if it is that easy for people outside the EU.
Buen Camino!
I have previously tried booking tickets and found it impossible - wish someone could tell me how to do this from South Africa

@SEB, what dates were you booking? I found RENFE had ticketing available for late April a week ago. It appears they only have a few months open at a time, so going in too early is pointless. One has to both be patient and keep checking from about three months out from when one wants to travel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
23rd April dougfitz. But there seems to be no discernible logic as to why some fares become available before the 90/60 day window. For example, my alternative for the direct, but stopping journey from Barcelona to Vigo (my stop off point before Porto) is still not available for that date. It looked to be the cheapest option at around 46 euros but took over 13 hours. The cheapest AVE ticket from Barcelona to Madrid for 23rd April searching yesterday was around 75 euros. I assume you just have to keep checking on Mondays when it seems some new tickets are released. It's a bit like a lottery but I feel like I won a small prize today and won't have to spend 13 hours on a stopping train.

When I was planning my next trip, I would check what was available in the next month on the same day of the week that I was intending to travel. That way I got an understanding of what might be the general pattern of the schedule, and could look for those options that met my travel requirements best. You are right, it's not so much a science as an art so far as I can tell.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you use www.loco2.com they will send you an alert when tickets become available.
It's a really user friendly site.
Unfortunately you can't book tickets in Portugal using them but you can book trains from Spain to Portugal.

There is a huge difference in price between Rail Europe and Renfe. Although the process can be a tad frustrating in the realm of Renfe, the cheaper price is worth it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@SEB, what dates were you booking? I found RENFE had ticketing available for late April a week ago. It appears they only have a few months open at a time, so going in too early is pointless. One has to both be patient and keep checking from about three months out from when one wants to travel.
I am leaving SA on the 12 April so would be looking for ticket on the 13 from Madrid to Malaga

I will be travelling on to Vigo from Madrid prior to dropping down to Porto to start my next Camino, but the tickets for that leg of the journey are not yet available.

Just in case it could be any useful, there are two routes to go from Madrid to Porto by train:
  • To make it changing trains in Vigo (as you plan).
  • To make it changing trains in Coimbra-B.
If you don't have preferences (i.e.: if you don't have any special interest in Vigo or Coimbra), you could just go for the cheapest one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for this Castilian. There are no day trains to Coimbra from Madrid, but you reminded me that I originally planned to travel to Lisbon on the Trenhotel then up to Porto but the tickets were looking too expensive. just checked today and got a great deal Cama Turista for 33.60 euros. As the hotel in Vigo would have cost near the same amount. This is a cheap alternative even though I will have to buy a ticket to travel from Lisbon to Porto, but then Portuguese railways offer up to 50% discount for senior citizens on production of proof of eligibility. You nodded me in the right direction, the ticket is cheaper, I get a longer stay in Madrid, no hotel cost and don't have to mess about trying to find a Bus in Vigo on a Sunday to take me to Porto. Cheers!

I have previously tried booking tickets and found it impossible - wish someone could tell me how to do this from South Africa

This link is Renfe international points of sale
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/viajes_internacionales/puntosventa_internacional.html

The Renfe Sales Point in South Africa is World Travel. Unfortunately I can't get the world travel site to open ... perhaps because it is in SA.

SUDÁFRICA
WORLD TRAVEL
Samro Place,9th Floor, 20 De Korte Street, Braamfontein
2000 JOHANNESBURG

• telefono.png
    Teléfono : +271 162 823 19
  • fax.png
    Fax : + 278 653 242 81
  • web.png
    Web: www.worldtravel.co.za/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Momof34man - thank you for taking the time to put these web-sites here for us! I just got my train tickets and now have a big sigh of relief!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back