• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renfe Spain pass

kusitb

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC May-June 2016
Hi,

I've been reading the seat61.com website, and it says sometimes, the national railpasses such as the Spanish pass could be good value. - http://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm#Other_railpasses

We plan to visit several cities after our camino: Fatima, Avila, Madrid, Barcelona, and Lourdes before flying back home to Canada from Paris.

We already have train tickets for Paris->Bayonne->SJPdP. We can also pretty much set the date for the Lourdes->Paris so we plan to buy tickets for this as well, as soon as they become available.

For Fatima all the way to Barcelona, we are planning to buy the Renfe railpass so that we have the flexibility without worrying too much about prices going up near the travel date.

Questions about the Renfre railpass
1) Is it easy to buy this Renfe railpass over-the-counter at any train station in Spain, or should I buy it online? Is there a price difference if I buy it at a train station, close to the date I actually use it? My understanding is that the price is fixed no matter when or where I buy it - for example, 163 euros for 4 journeys/1 month mentioned here: - http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/viajes_internacionales/spainpass/precios.html
Can someone please confirm if my understanding is correct?

2) I've seen a number of posts complaining about the difficulty of using the Renfe site. Is this only when buying tickets, or is it also true for reservations/bookings?

3) I could not find information on how the railpass works if my train ride crosses country borders. For example, let's say I take a train from Barcelona to Lourdes. Can I use the railpass for this ride, considering that it goes from Spain to France? I would imagine that, at the very least, it should be honored for the Spain portion of the trip and then I can just pay additional for the France portion...?

I was initially considering the raileurope pass - and that would have solved question #3 above - but it was coming up to be more expensive, especially when I factor in the booking fees.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Caveat. I don't know about buying rail passes. Everything I've written here is my interpretation of available information on the Renfe website. You are advised to confirm anything still not clear with Renfe or a travel agent.

1. The price looks to be fixed ... the price should be the same at any sales point including the station.

2. The problem with the Renfe site appears to be non-acceptance of US credit cards for foreign purchases. I don't know if the same problem occurs with Canadian Credit Card users. You could use paypal. If it is a problem, you are advised to buy from the Canada sales point.

CANADA
ACP
8375, rue Bougainville, suite 100
MONTREAL

• telefono.png
    Teléfono : +1 514 733-9865
  • email.png
    e-Mail : info@acprail.com
  • web.png
    Web: http://www.acprail.com

3. The rail pass is good for AVE and MD class trains. AVE and MD are domestic service trains and so only apply to trains within Spain (or terminating on the other side of the border as with Irun/Hendaye). The train from Barcelona to Lourdes is TGV operated by SNCF ... the rail pass does not apply. Same same for trips into Portugal to places such as Fatima where CP operates the trains.

Thank you, whariwharagi - I will call the Montreal number tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back