• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renfe Tickets Website

Steve Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2019 Sarria to Santiago Sept 2019 Logrono to Burgos Aug 2020 St Jean Pied De Port to Logrono
I’m hoping to get a train from Madrid to Ponferrada on Mon 3 April, but, for some reason, the full (albeit small) list of trains hasn’t been posted on the Renfe website yet (there’s one service leaving at about 6 pm). Does anyone know when Renfe are likely to release the details of these earlier trains?
I know that there’s a ALSA bus service from Madrid to Ponferrada, so I’ll use that if necessary, but I’d rather travel by train, if possible.
Any info would be appreciated.
Steve

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m hoping to get a train from Madrid to Ponferrada on Mon 3 April, but, for some reason, the full (albeit small) list of trains hasn’t been posted on the Renfe website yet (there’s one service leaving at about 6 pm). Does anyone know when Renfe are likely to release the details of these earlier trains?
I know that there’s a ALSA bus service from Madrid to Ponferrada, so I’ll use that if necessary, but I’d rather travel by train, if possible.
Any info would be appreciated.
Steve
If you register with ‘Rail Europe’ (used to be Loco2) you can set an alert when your desired tickets come on sale. You don’t have to buy through them if you have the patience and mental fortitude to use the RENFE site.

I see that the 13:15 and 18.25 are available on the Renfe App for web purchase right now. Train leaves from Chamartin station.

There is a bus from the airport that also stops at the South Madrid and the Moncloa Madrid bus stations in mid afternoon, but doesn't look like there is a lot to choose from on either bus or train for that date.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see that the 13:15 and 18.25 are available on the Renfe App for web purchase right now. Train leaves from Chamartin station.

There is a bus from the airport that also stops at the South Madrid and the Moncloa Madrid bus stations in mid afternoon, but doesn't look like there is a lot to choose from on either bus or train for that date.
I’m going to wait and see if any trains become available. The bus option is a backup.

Yes both trains were available when I checked today. Not sure there are more than 2 per day.
If you check the schedule for the previous week (27-31 March) there’s a train at 11:10 which is the one I want to take to Ponferrada. I’ll keep monitoring the website.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was my experience that the timing of the date and time release varies. As mentioned above you can get alerts when to expect them. Other sites, such as RailEurope may have tickets available now. However, they will not alert you if there is a change in the train departure time which I sadly discovered. A train I was to take from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid left three hours before the stated time on my ticket but I was not notified. Had I bought through Renfe I would have known. Also, if you do book with Renfe paying with PayPal makes life much easier.

Can you tell me where the bus station is at the Madrid airport? I will be travelling from Madrid to Leon in May and like to explore that option even though I will probably opt to take the train.
With that in mind, can I take a train from the airport to Chamartin where I would transfer to the train to Leon? If so, where is the train station at the airport located?
Are there shuttles between the various air terminals and the train / bus stations at the airport?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It was my experience that the timing of the date and time release varies. As mentioned above you can get alerts when to expect them. Other sites, such as RailEurope may have tickets available now. However, they will not alert you if there is a change in the train departure time which I sadly discovered. A train I was to take from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid left three hours before the stated time on my ticket but I was not notified. Had I bought through Renfe I would have known. Also, if you do book with Renfe paying with PayPal makes life much easier.
Just to clarify: Does one only get alerts if one buys directly from Renfe?
Also, what payment options does Renfe accept besides PayPal? Are credit cards accepted?
I booked thru Omio last year and was able to pay by credit card......

Can you tell me where the bus station is at the Madrid airport? I will be travelling from Madrid to Leon in May and like to explore that option even though I will probably opt to take the train.
With that in mind, can I take a train from the airport to Chamartin where I would transfer to the train to Leon? If so, where is the train station at the airport located?
Are there shuttles between the various air terminals and the train / bus stations at the airport?
The bus station at the airport is right outside the T4 terminal. You can take a free shuttle if you arrive at T1, 2, 3 over to T4 and there is a service counter to buy bus tickets at T4 .
If you want to take the train to Chamartin, it is in the basement of T4. It is a Cercanias or commuter train. There is also a train service desk in the T4 basement.

To go to the Atocha station, you can take the Yellow Express bus which stops at every terminal to the Atocha station. I think.you can also take a Cercanias train, but I have always taken the yellow bus.

The bus station at the airport is right outside the T4 terminal. You can take a free shuttle if you arrive at T1, 2, 3 over to T4 and there is a service counter to buy bus tickets at T4 .
If you want to take the train to Chamartin, it is in the basement of T4. It is a Cercanias or commuter train. There is also a train service desk in the T4 basement.

To go to the Atocha station, you can take the Yellow Express bus which stops at every terminal to the Atocha station. I think.you can also take a Cercaniastrain, but I have always taken the yellow bus.
Sorry.......Where is the Atocha Station??

Sorry.......Where is the Atoche Station??
I assume that was meant to be Atocha. The mainline railway station to the south of the city centre.

madrid.gif

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to clarify: Does one only get alerts if one buys directly from Renfe?
Also, what payment options does Renfe accept besides PayPal? Are credit cards accepted?
I booked thru Omio last year and was able to pay by credit card......
Yes, I have bought tickets from Renfe using my US credit card. But once in a while there is a glitch. Then I just use a different card. Buen Camino

Renfe accepts some credit cards and some debit cards. It took trying a couple of different credit cards to find one that would get through the authentication process. I was also able to use a debit card to get through the system. I will look into setting up a PayPal account for the next trip.
Does one only get alerts if one buys directly from Renfe?
You only get alerts if Renfe has you email or text info. Most agencies don’t pass that information on to Renfe. Last year on a trip to Spain I was buying most of my tickets from vending machines at the station and that purchase does not capture the information needed to send an alert.

Renfe accepts some credit cards and some debit cards. It took trying a couple of different credit cards to find one that would get through the authentication process. I was also able to use a debit card to get through the system. I will look into setting up a PayPal account for the next trip.

You only get alerts if Renfe has you email or text info. Most agencies don’t pass that information on to Renfe. Last year on a trip to Spain I was buying most of my tickets from vending machines at the station and that purchase does not capture the information needed to send an alert.
Renfe accepts mastercard creditcard, the app is very intuitive and saves your ticket as well for the check in the train.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am coming up from a week in Southern Spain, I and am travelling on the bullet train from Granada to Madrid, then by plane to Porto. I used paypal to book my ticket online. Apparently, there is a connection between Atocha train station and the airport...not sure if this is a bus or train?

Apparently, there is a connection between Atocha train station and the airport...not sure if this is a bus or train?
You can travel from Atocha station to the airport by either bus or train. The airport website has details of both options.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can travel from Atocha station to the airport by either bus or train. The airport website has details of both options.
Thank you.

A very easy 15 min train from Airport to Chematin, (shuttles between the 2) then out to Leon from Chematin.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m searching for a train from Madrid to Leon on March 19. Please confirm for me which train station I must use. And if you have specifics please include.

I’m not certain how much searching you have done …

Madrid Chamartin station which is the northern of the two main stations.

Fast trains at 1110, 1440 and 1500. Buy your tickets in advance.

I don’t think there are any other specifics.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m not certain how much searching you have done …

Madrid Chamartin station which is the northern of the two main stations.

Fast trains at 1110, 1440 and 1500. Buy your tickets in advance.

I don’t think there are any other specifics.
Thank you. I did a very superficial look and thought I was leaving from Atocha. You made my day!

I’m searching for a train from Madrid to Leon on March 19. Please confirm for me which train station I must use. And if you have specifics please include.
Which station you must use depends upon which train you are taking. There are different trains departing from Madrid-Chamartin, Madrid-Atocha and Madrid-Padre Pio.

I would suggest searching for the train that best suits the time you want to travel and using the station for that train. When searching for your train, use Madrid (Todos), then if you click on the fare, a box will pop up with the fare description and below that there is a line that reads Journey Details, clicking on that will give you the departure station.

Chamartin is usually under 20 minutes from the T4 train station, Atocha is usually under 40 minutes travel time and Padre Pio is also under 40 minutes. You can use Google maps to see the travel options between the airport and your station.

If you check the schedule for the previous week (27-31 March) there’s a train at 11:10 which is the one I want to take to Ponferrada.

Renfe has not yet released the regional train schedules for April from Leon. I see the Alvia from Madrid to Leon is now available for booking, but no regional trains from Leon to Ponferrada are showing up in searches.

Renfe has not yet released the regional train schedules for April from Leon. I see the Alvia from Madrid to Leon is now available for booking, but no regional trains from Leon to Ponferrada are showing up in searches.
Can I ask what the Alvia is? Is it a train or bus service?

If you check the schedule for the previous week (27-31 March) there’s a train at 11:10 which is the one I want to take to Ponferrada. I’ll keep monitoring the website.
Since that 11:10 is available the previous week, and you are looking for a Monday departure I would absolutely check this coming Monday to see if the train is available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a similar problem last summer...the train I wanted to take was greyed out on the time I wanted. There were 2 other trains that were available that day but the timing did not work. I was very concerned and posted on this forum and was counseled to wait, and about 30-35 days before the trip the train I wanted was made available. No clue why Renfe does such things, but keep monitoring. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back