• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renfe Train Schedule for mid June and beyond

Rod Murray

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 CF 2019 PC
Does anyone know when Renfe posts its summer schedule? I was able to book at train to get me to my starting point on the CF but not for my return to Madrid from SdeC in late June. I've read that it's posted 60 days before the summer schedule begins on June 15. Anyone have first hand experience with this or knows when I can expect to see the new schedule?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It depends on the train service ... usually the Ave trains schedules are up as much as 90 days in advance. We've seen trenhotel schedules less than 3 weeks in advance.

You should be able to rely on tomorrow's schedule; it may change but usually it does not. The schedule for late June should be available not less than 30 days in advance.

Does anyone know when Renfe posts its summer schedule? I was able to book at train to get me to my starting point on the CF but not for my return to Madrid from SdeC in late June. I've read that it's posted 60 days before the summer schedule begins on June 15. Anyone have first hand experience with this or knows when I can expect to see the new schedule?
I have found that the best place to get RENFE info is via the SNCF (French) or Bahn.de (German). Bahn.de will book your train for you and have UK call centre where all customer service reps speak Engish.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

It depends. Sometimes RENFE uploads it early, sometimes it makes it very late. Anyway, in early June it should be posted but, of course, they can upload it earlier. Another point to consider is that sometimes they upload a partial schedule (i.e.: including just some of the trains available) and later they upload the schedule of the missing trains. That's why it's a good idea to check the current schedule so you can get an idea of how many trains you should find once the summer one is published (and you can get an idea too of the departure times because they'll be almost the same -if not the same- with the summer schedule).

In other words, you have two main options:
  1. Check daily the web of RENFE till you find the schedule published and the booking time opened so you can book your tickets as soon as the bookings are opened. Personally, I wouldn't bother to check more than 60 days in advance.
  2. Wait till early June where it's almost sure the new schedule will be already published (only if RENFE is really late the schedule may be published later, i.e. around June 10th, but it might happen) and the bookings opened. The downside is that if RENFE uploads early the schedule this year some of the discounted fares might be sold out by early June.

It depends. Sometimes RENFE uploads it early, sometimes it makes it very late. Anyway, in early June it should be posted but, of course, they can upload it earlier. Another point to consider is that sometimes they upload a partial schedule (i.e.: including just some of the trains available) and later they upload the schedule of the missing trains. That's why it's a good idea to check the current schedule so you can get an idea of how many trains you should find once the summer one is published (and you can get an idea too of the departure times because they'll be almost the same -if not the same- with the summer schedule).

In other words, you have two main options:
  1. Check daily the web of RENFE till you find the schedule published and the booking time opened so you can book your tickets as soon as the bookings are opened. Personally, I wouldn't bother to check more than 60 days in advance.
  2. Wait till early June where it's almost sure the new schedule will be already published (only if RENFE is really late the schedule may be published later, i.e. around June 10th, but it might happen) and the bookings opened. The downside is that if RENFE uploads early the schedule this year some of the discounted fares might be sold out by early June.

Thank you for this information. I, too, am looking to book a train ticket in June, and it's been frustrating that Renfe hasn't updated schedules beyond 6 June for at least a month (I typically check the site 1-2 times per week and it hasn't budged). I signed up at the loco2 website to be informed when booking opens. I'm worried about missing the boat (so to speak) and finding all trains booked the day I need one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for this information. I, too, am looking to book a train ticket in June, and it's been frustrating that Renfe hasn't updated schedules beyond 6 June for at least a month (I typically check the site 1-2 times per week and it hasn't budged). I signed up at the loco2 website to be informed when booking opens. I'm worried about missing the boat (so to speak) and finding all trains booked the day I need one.
I wouldn't worry too much about trains being completely booked. But the earlier you book the better price and seat you can get.
I've booked on RENFE the day of travel with no problem. That said, I have also signed up for notification on the loco2 site.

Yes, that's just it. I don't want to find out that the only available seats are the fully flexible (and therefore expensive) ones. I want the €23,50 cheapo seats. That's why I want to book as soon as I can.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you have an iPhone , I downloaded an app called trainline EU . Have used it in Europe fir many years in various trips ..... it's awesome .... can view trains anywhere ... get time tables .... book a ticket on the app .... I have never had a problem ..., I am not sure if cost is greater than buying from counter .... but eve n just looking up timetable it is great ...

Ultreia

In response to my own post from last year...I started checking regularly, every day and then, just when I got lazy, stopped checking every day, our travel companions, living in the Middle East, discovered the schedule had been updated! When I finally got around to booking a few days later, the price had risen by €5! Pays to check twice a day! I used the Renfe mobile app to keep all my tickets handy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm unsure what you mean
Your computer stores cookies that enable it to rapidly reach websites you have previously visited. Unfortunately they will also take you to the page you previously visited and not the 'current' page. You may therefore not reach current data but data you have previously seen.

Last edited:
Your computer stores cookies that enable it to rapidly reach websites you have previously visited. Unfortunately they will also take you to the page you previously visited and not the 'current' page. You may therefore not reach current data but data you have previously seen.
Alas, the problem isn't my computer (I've tried this search on multiple dates from multiple computers, as well as the mobile app). For some odd reason, RENFE will not show timetables for June 17, 2017, despite the fact that they claim to display availability for at least 62 days into the future. And it's only 46 days until I arrive. Now I'm leaning more towards taking a bus from Madrid-Barajas to Pamplona and another from Pamplona to StPdP, even though it means I won't arrive until 1915. I was hoping to get there earlier in time to have a walk around and a leisurely dinner before retiring to bed early, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

@StepheninDC there is no point in searching the RENFE website for a journey from Madrid Barajas to Pamplona. There are no trains that travel from there to there. You need to search for a trains from Madrid (Atocha) to Zaragoza and from Zaragoza to Pamplona. Thats the way the website works. Getting from Barajas to Atocha is easy on the Cercanias. Total journey time will be iro 5 hours, which may or may not beat the bus.

Happy planning

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@StepheninDC there is no point in searching the RENFE website for a journey from Madrid Barajas to Pamplona. There are no trains that travel from there to there. You need to search for a trains from Madrid (Atocha) to Zaragoza and from Zaragoza to Pamplona. Thats the way the website works. Getting from Barajas to Atocha is easy on the Cercanias. Total journey time will be iro 5 hours, which may or may not beat the bus.

Happy planning
Hi there and thanks for that very helpful post. Hmm, well I'm not sure what to say, as I've been doing searches on their site since January and they DO post timetables for Madrid (Atocha) to Pamplona/Iruña, it's just that they seem to stop after June 10th. In other words, the exact itinerary I'm looking for IS available but not on my desired date. In any case, I've gone ahead and booked my 2 buses now so the train option may be moot. (the bus tickets are fully refundable so in case I can take a train, I have that option). Thank you again.
UPDATE: the train itinerary is worse, actually. Not only is it too early to book Madrid-Zaragoza, but for Saturdays the train times are slower than the bus, and the bus takes you to Pamplona. I'll stick with the bus, cheaper and faster.

Last edited:
Hi @StepheninDC I'm really impressed that you managed to get a through-route posting out of RENFE! I've never found a way to do that. I've always spent time trying to work out what the likely route might be and searching by staging posts.

And to honest most of the time its faster, cheper and more comfortable to travel by bus. (Just don't tell the railway buffs I said that :p)

Buen camino

Hi @StepheninDC I'm really impressed that you managed to get a through-route posting out of RENFE! I've never found a way to do that. I've always spent time trying to work out what the likely route might be and searching by staging posts.

And to honest most of the time its faster, cheper and more comfortable to travel by bus. (Just don't tell the railway buffs I said that :p)

Buen camino
Wouldn't you know, a couple of days after buying both of my bus tickets, I get an email from the site loco2 showing that ticketing is available on RENFE for the date I'm traveling. Still, I think I'll stick with the bus, because it leaves right from the airport terminal where I land, and I don't have to worry about getting to downtown Madrid to the Puerta de Atocha station to catch the train. Also, the train leaves at 9:40, and I get in (supposedly) at 7:40. And the travel time from Barajas to Atocha is 1/2 hour. That doesn't allow for much of a delay...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back